P-51 Paper Drop Tank Colour Question

dr_gn

Just wondering if the paper drop tanks should have red slinging bands around them, or what colour they should be. It looks like the tanks themselves definitely had red bands:

bZOgzOyQ.jpg

ONwdGO6H.jpg

...but I'd have thought these were just alignment guides for the metal slinging hoops on the aircraft hard points, and that the red would be obscured by these hoops when fitted, like here on this restored example:

mORxkDYd.jpg

However, I've seen a lot of monochrome images of the tanks with dark bands around when fitted:

mT0lXLrc.jpg

....so were the slinging hoops themselves also red, or some other colour, or what?

Hi,

Well black&white photos are not your friend....

You answered all the questions you have :

- red line to adjust the tank

- silver dope ( UV protection )

to me dark band on "oldcrow" is the red you find on checker.....

anyone ?

olivier

I think I'd agree with Joan.

IMHO, the 'colour' in the black-and-white photograph is the age old problem of this type of film standard.

The reasoning behind having a coloured band on the tanks would be, (IMHO), because of the material used to make these tanks, you'd have to make sure you hung them correctly on an A/C.

Having a red line, that would be obscured if the tanks are fitted correctly, would be a very good way of ensuring you had correctly installed the tanks on the A/C before you filled them with fuel.

Cheers, Brian

Thanks guys.

Brian, I think Joan isn't saying the same thing as you?

I'd also assume the red band was a visible indication of correct slinging, and that the sling itself was some other colour. I'm assuming the restoration aircraft are correct, so maybe just a different contrast of silver for the sling?

I've seen many models with red bands as installed, but I'm pretty sure this must be wrong. The restored examples look like stainless steel.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Taking a quick look, it is surprisingly hard to find a photo that shows what we need really well. But...

some non-descript color for the hanging straps- I'd nominate raw steel, but that's more a logical guess than photo interpretation. On one shot you could see a narrow red line, where it appeared they didn't get it quite perfectly aligned, but close enough.

Also, some tanks were Neutral Grey, including one (or was it two) on a silver PR Unit (US) example.

bob

"Mustang in color" / osprey page 27 with both new tanks in the background ( red line clearly visible) and a start of a loaded P-51.

The red line is not enough visible...

olivier

I can safely say the drop tank at the top is 100% original condition. It came from one of the manufacturers who'd kept it, and donated it to the Ulster Aviation Society.

I designed & made the display panel in front of it :o

I'm assuming the restoration aircraft are correct

Never ever assume this - it will just lead to grief. The list of restored aircraft with faulty colour schemes is too big to list. However, if somebody owns an aircraft, you can't begrudge them finishing it as they want even if it is not historically accurate.

On page 93 of 'The Mighty Eight in Colour' there is a photo of 'Sweet Helen II' with the steel version of the 108 gallon drop tanks. All but identical in shape. The straps are dark in colour similar in tone to the green on the fuselage and if you look closely you can see a hint of a red stripe peeping from under the rear strap.

Searching for Sweet Helen II online revealed a less clear colour photo showing the dark straps. Also another photo of the same aircraft when still in camouflage shows lighter more silver straps over a paper tank. I can't link to it for some reason though so you'll have to search yourself.

Therefore it seems natural metal or a dark colour would both be accurate.

But I think we can safely say that red was not used other than on the tanks themselves.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

A bump for others who may be interested.

This thread prompted me to look in P-51 MUSTANG by Jeffrey L. Ethell Warbirds fotofax ISBN 1-85409-033-X, where illustration #49 shows groundcrew working with a 110-gallon paper tank behind them (8-6-44) and the rings are very dark compared with the silver tank.