New Thunderbird 1 unveiled

Thunderbirds can be re-made for the new generation. Nothing wrong with that. But why change the craft?

There is absolutely no need whatsoever.

I don't buy the argument "sure you can remake it, only leave X alone, X cannot change".

Because whatever the sacrosanct X is can very depending on who says it - it could be that for one person you have to leave the craft, for another the characters, for another the music etc. etc. You might as well just say "you can't remake it".

I'd rather wait and see whether it's any good - if it is, great! If it isn't, I can watch the original series again. Win-win!

W

• Like 1

I 'generally' agree with the above, but you would think that with the umpteen examples of 'movies being made from TV series' that end up as a bomb, they might learn.

OK, make a new series/movie/DVD whatever, of anything you like but when the original 'works', why tamper with it?

But as you say, let's wait and see.....

BTW.... Someone above mentioned seeing the new TB3 - and it looks awful.

I've scoured the web and can't find any pics of it.

Anyone have any other links???

Roy.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree that there are a lot of remakes which are hard to understand (why remake School for Scoundrels!?!?!) but you get gems as well.

I was gobsmacked that I loved the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes films, I had thought Jeremy Brett was irreplaceable. It's not that the new ones are better, but they're a different take on the character and setting which worked really well for me.

I'm also really enjoying Rebuild of Evangelion at the moment, I think I prefer it to the original, and not just because of the massive audiovisual upgrade.

Will

More to the point, the computers allow the aircraft to remain under control despite natural instability. And I have proof

More to the point, the computers allow the aircraft to remain under control despite natural instability.

Had Northrop had computer technology available to them, YB-49 would have been a sensational leap forward in aviation. It didn't and was consigned to the "what could have been file".

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Thunderbirds revamp is a moot point - The Enterprise has had several makeovers now from the classic TV series to the newly rebooted franchise and of course the later mark Enterprise versions.

The new Thunderbirds will never satisfy those of us who grew up with the original series - because we have the view of nostalgia. Derek Meddings original designs from five decades ago were innovative and breathtaking - since then we have had Enterprises, Cylon's, Millennium Falcon's, TIE Fighters, X-Wings et al. It will be very tough to replace something that we have an affection and love for and I say that as a first time viewer of Thunderbirds let alone all the repeats. Personally I don't think they should mess with FAB 1 - Lady Penelope must be driven in a Rolls - the product placed For Thunderbird was just pitiful in the movie - well the movie it self was pitiful. Gerry Anderson had the vision and the luxury on non political correctness.

I have to agree with others here that half hour format is wrong unless they do two part stories.

As for the best ever spacecraft - at least in TV and Movies Sci Fi - The Millennium Falcon has to be the one with most character, Darth Vaders advance TIE fighter one of the most sinister, The executor in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi possibly the most magnificent but I would also mention -

USS Excelsior, Aliens Drop Ship, Avengers VTOL Carrier, Galaxy Quest and we can't not mention the TARDIS but I would add those funny little space craft that were used in the first Matt Smith season of Doctor Who you know those little fighter planes with British pilots - Spitfires!

I don't think they should mess with FAB 1 - Lady Penelope must be driven in a Rolls - the product placed For Thunderbird was just pitiful in the movie - well the movie it self was pitiful.

The problem with FAB1 will be not what the new show does with it but how much Rolls Royce co-operates.

For the Frakes' movie, Rolls Royce did not want anything to do with the project, hence FAB1 becoming a Ford!!!

Sorry to be argumentative but Rolls Royce were not prepared to put money into the project - Ford did -big time. Rolls were quite happy to have a FAB 1 car but they were not about to pay for the publicity. Indeed the original drawings of the FAB 1 were a Rolls Royce derivative. Ford made the deal though and if you watch the blue oval is very apparent in many scenes. Ford stipulated that the Thunderbirds film had to be Ford all the way - much the same as The World is Not Enough, BMW paid to have their cars in the Pierce Brosnan Bond films and were upset that in Goldeneye Bond drives an Aston Martin DB5 as he did in Tomorrow Never Dies - in The World is Not Enough BMW stipulated Bond drives a BMW only and not as a secondary car.

If Ford hadn't have paid for such publicity the Thunderbird film might never have got made. Now that thought has me wishing that they stayed with Rolls Royce.

As for the new show - times have changed and Rolls will of course be pedantic unlike when Gerry Anderson created FAB 1, Rolls didn't put up much of a fight just asking that their car not be seen in any bad circumstances i.e. broken down or letting the Tracey family down. Well of course we all know that FAB 1 and her driver Parker would never let the side down.

I suspect that the new FAB 1 will go down the lines of the movie, inasmuch as it will either be a 'product placement' car, very probably NOT Rolls Royce, but it really NEEDS to be British, or it will be a futuristic nameless vehicle, such as you see in many Sci-Fi movies.
Even the vehicles in Captain Scarlet are nameless but look good - the SPV and MPV, to name two.

Roy.

But does it really matter what make Lady P's car is? As long as it looks good, does it honestly matter?

Not in the slightest - as long as it looks 'Aristocratic' as befits Lady P and Parker.

A 'Ford' badge doesn't really cut it......

Roy.

• Like 1

As mentioned above FAB 1 has to look aristocratic and not cheap (even in pink!). It would be nice if it's a Rolls -the flying lady suits the image of Lady P - and with those crisp vowels "bring round the Rolls" - well it sounds right. And yes it must be British - I don't think any other marque would work unless say it was "bring round the Lagonda".

Ultimately though - the Pink Rolls is what suits Lady P and nothing else will quite do.