New Revell 1/32 Spitfire

grayh

As Edgar says,a few things wrong with it ,but for those who want 100% accuracy nothing a bit of extra work and corrections wont put right....but for those who aint too fussed...jeez look at what you get for the money compare prices with the Tamiya 1/32 spits, is there really £100+ difference in what you get in the box?

Well I'm glad that Edgar gave this model the once over for us anyway. There are probably things that he picked up that we wouldn't notice but at least we are now in a position to decide what to change and what to leave. I got mine yesterday and, as has often been said, it really is stunning value for money.

I'm sure its not beyond the ability of most of us to scratchbuild a 'normal' seat but I bet there will be a collective sigh of relief when someone - preferably Alleycat or Freightdog (keep it British!) - produces a proper oil cooler assembly that slots into the space left for it by Revell. I strongly suspect (hope?) that someone will make a replacement underwing panel to correctly reproduce the radiator duct, probably with a rad bath to go with it? Wouldn't it be nice if you could get that, with oil cooler, for, say, £6 ?

Last night I bought the last HGW Sutton 'A' harness from Hannants - and now I'm thinking it might have been false economy !!! (You get 2 'A's for £6.60 whereas the HGW Sutton QK costs £8.99 for just one!). I now suspect that the 'A' might have been more appropriate for a pre war Spit but, hopefully, someone can confirm either way?

Simon

• Like 1

I believe a fishy business has some items coming next week.

Should be a gold mine - I'll bet these items will also go well with earlier 1/32 Spitfire kits as well!

Now that I'm looking forward to!

PR

Just read through all the comments and noted them - especially Edgars. My one is on order and having a "to do" list already laid out is very helpful especially when its all so straightforward "to do" with the odd more difficult item doubtless about to arrive in resin.

I must say Revell are giving the public excellent value these days. Even with the odd bit of correcting AM factored in you could get what? - a half dozen of these chaps for the same as one Tamiya MkIX?

• Like 1

What is the difference between a "Mk I" and a "MkII" oil cooler - do they look significantly different?

Mk.I oil cooler:-

large2_zps43660b45.jpg

Mk.V type:-

VBwheelwell_zps09187fbe.jpg

There's one other item I've since noticed, and that's the oxygen hose, which should not be moulded on the starboard cockpit wall. On the Mk. I & II, the hose was "attached" to the pilot, and plugged into a socket on the starboard wall.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar
  • Like 2

What I've seen May not be perfect, but at around £23, I shan't grumble, I was happy with the HB Mk Vb, so at 2/3 the price, easier corrected faults, it's on the wants list.

For me half the fun is putting your mark on a kit- is your canvas after all.

• Like 1

What I've seen May not be perfect, but at around £23, I shan't grumble, I was happy with the HB Mk Vb, so at 2/3 the price, easier corrected faults, it's on the wants list.

For me half the fun is putting your mark on a kit- is your canvas after all.

I must say I am with Radpoe hear. Cracking Job to Edgar for the heads up. Edgar if you PM me I am happy to by one and have it delivered to you for further inspection (as long as I get it back -pm me). Compared to the Tamiya mk9 at over a £100 is there too much to grumble about in this scale?

Anyone who is not into accuracy should not read what follows.

Just looking at the initial pictures showed that something is wrong with kit proportions, at first I thought RoG made windscreen too big and spiner too blunt, but having the model in my hand

I can definitely confirm that from spiner to cockpit this is not a Spitfire Mk.II or Spitfire at all, when I will have more time I will make a more detailed observations , but Edgars list is unfortunately just top the of the iceberg.....

On the postitive side rivets are far less pronounced than what can be seen on posted pics.

Omissions on this model are big, this is not a G-6/10 Erla kit that has is flaws that can be relatively easily remedied-this kit has major shape issues not seen before in RoG 1/32 range from

Tornado/Hunter onwards.

Edited by Thomas V.

... and very useful too: thanks for going to the trouble!

As for the Revell kit I shall pick one up as soon as I find one in a shop or at a show (I prefer to buy biggish mass-market kits in real life rather than via the internet where possible) and have endless hours of fun comparing it to the Hasegawa and Tamiya kits. In fact I can feel a bit of a kit-bash coming on with one of my several Hase kits and the various conversion sets I have for them.

Edit: that pic 55 is a bit of a shocker. I don't know what aluminium paint the Cosford folk used over the etch primer, but evidently not a particularly durable one!

Edited by Work In Progress

I have the old 04715 kit. It is an old and new mix. I wonder how that compares with the new one (besides some raised panel lines), Was this a new tool and did Revell go totally of the reservation or are the errors inherited?

I have the old 04715 kit. It is an old and new mix. I wonder how that compares with the new one (besides some raised panel lines), Was this a new tool and did Revell go totally of the reservation or are the errors inherited?

Without anything to hand to check, are you referring to the boxing that is the reboxed Hasegawa kit? Raised panel lines on the fuselage with the rudder moulded in full on one half of the fuse'? And a wing that has scribed panel lines?

This is a completely new tool.

As for Thomas V.'s comments above I'll be interested to see his findings. I've compared the new Revell to Arthur Bentley's drawings and the Cox drawings from the mag (that I can't remember) as well as comparing directly fuse to fuse with a Tamiya kit and every relevant thing matches up very well. The fin is a little longer at the top, but that helps when it comes to accentuating the 'roman nose' leading edge.

The little scoop and the oblong bulge on top of the cowling look dodgy but are easily fixed - how anyone can say the front doesn't look like a Spitfire seems a bit excessive to me . . .

Nick

• Like 1

Without anything to hand to check, are you referring to the boxing that is the reboxed Hasegawa kit? Raised panel lines on the fuselage with the rudder moulded in full on one half of the fuse'? And a wing that has scribed panel lines?

This is a completely new tool.....

Yes that's the one

That's not the *old* 1/32 Revell Spitfire I. That's the middle-aged one, the re-winged Hasegawa kit, from.. err... about 2001 I think.

The *old* one (1967) is kit H-282. Which, incredibly, was still being sold new in 2010. For some reason I have a decal sheet for it on a shelf at home. I have never actually owned the kit though.

Rev%20H282-250%20Spit%20Mk1.JPG

wow, that brings back memories i built one of these over 35 years ago i cant remember how well or otherwise it turned out

but i remember liking the finished kit

Simon

I'm with Nick on this, the kit compares well to the Cox plans - I made it about a millimetre-and-a-bit short, not obviously in any one section, but as I'd taken the plans from a jpg and enlarged them, I'm happy to put that down to operator error. So far pretty happy with it.

Pete

• Like 1

Gentlemen and not forgetting Dannii

May I thank you for a thread that is interesting, informative and, unlike many on here, hasn't descended into a bad tempered competition to see who can be the most annoying. It is discussions like this that make Britmodeller a joy. Please don't let this thread deteriorate!