New Revell 1/32 Spitfire

grayh

My new kit turned up on Tuesday and I am pleased to report it actualy looks very nice. I already have the Revegawa spitfire Mk.2 part built from about 10 years ago and I have the old Seafire reissue from about 4 years ago so I am feeling like building all three together and seeing how they compare.

Having now dug out the three kits, I have had a slight change of plan.

I will build the new Revell kit prety much OOB.

The Revegawa kit will also be prety much OOB but I have scribed the fuselage pannel lines.

The Old Revell Seafire Mk.1 B will be built as a Spitfire Mk.1 A which is actualy what it is (with a couple of extra parts to glue on to the A wing etc), I just need to get some Mk.1 decals.

I will save the Revell Seafire decals to go on a Hobby Boss Spitfire Mk.5 B trop which I will convert back to somewhere near a Seafire Mk.1.

I think I feel a new thread coming on.

Edited by M.B.C.

As what they've given us is basically a Va rather than a typical II, I think that's how I'll build mine out of the box, thus rendering most of the issues irrelevant. Really I don't know why they didn't just decal and badge it as a Va, they would have had far less grief!

• Like 1

Looking at the reception to the kit, I would like to add my positive note, none of the issues seem very major and It looks like a good effort by Revell [ I wonder how it compares to their German subjects?] Its a good point how these big manufacturers don't ask for some outside help, mind you they do operate in their own odd ways.

Airfix were looking for a researcher a couple of years ago, they needed someone who had long experience was familiar with cadcam [ yes I tick that box!] were familiar with model making techniques and manufacturing [ yes tick that one as well ] were preferably ex military [ yes tick that one as well] the list goes on, I didn't even get an interview.....

Graham.

Isn't the old Mk.I not missing the gull wing effect? I believe that I have a copy stored away somewhere.

Got my new one today. The good thing is that we have to expect a lot of nice things to improve it. I have seen the first (including a new oil cooler) advertized on Hyperscale.

I was not impressed by the quality of the moulding, My underwing is defectively moulded, and then the big problem, as I see it: The spring in the side next to the entry door. It is a phenomenon that in the old Academy 1/48 kit showed that the fuselage was too high. I have not tried Revell's new against Tamiya's version. But something is wrong here, and rather difficult to correct as the back part of the canopy is adapted to the fuselage as it is, and leaves the little indent free. Now I am speculating if the intrance door is too narrow. It has to be exchanged anyway as the crow bar is moulded as an integrated part, and not separated from the door to create a more realistic idea of the assembly.

So it seems that Revell has made a kit for those who are satisfied with "it looks like a Spitfire". Well, the old Mk.I also did. But it will demand a lot of work and a lot of money for the corrections to appear. At the end the finished model could end up as expensive as Tamiya's.

Airfix were looking for a researcher a couple of years ago, they needed someone who had long experience was familiar with cadcam [ yes I tick that box!] were familiar with model making techniques and manufacturing [ yes tick that one as well ] were preferably ex military [ yes tick that one as well] the list goes on, I didn't even get an interview.....

...and probably offering 5 pounds an hour if hired!

Imagine the storm that will descend when a 1/32 Spiteful is released (is it going to be preceded with a long media blitz proclaiming it to be the most accurate 1/32 Spiteful ever? :winkgrin: )

bob

p.s. Still wondering when Tower will be able to send my example of the Revell- I hope it is before I've lost ALL hope for the kit! (Well, not all hope- at worst I'll hope I can sell it to someone even more desperate about Spitfires, but I doubt it'll come to that.)

Edited by gingerbob

Isn't the old Mk.I not missing the gull wing effect? I believe that I have a copy stored away somewhere.

Got my new one today. The good thing is that we have to expect a lot of nice things to improve it. I have seen the first (including a new oil cooler) advertized on Hyperscale.

I was not impressed by the quality of the moulding, My underwing is defectively moulded, and then the big problem, as I see it: The spring in the side next to the entry door. It is a phenomenon that in the old Academy 1/48 kit showed that the fuselage was too high. I have not tried Revell's new against Tamiya's version. But something is wrong here, and rather difficult to correct as the back part of the canopy is adapted to the fuselage as it is, and leaves the little indent free. Now I am speculating if the intrance door is too narrow. It has to be exchanged anyway as the crow bar is moulded as an integrated part, and not separated from the door to create a more realistic idea of the assembly.

So it seems that Revell has made a kit for those who are satisfied with "it looks like a Spitfire". Well, the old Mk.I also did. But it will demand a lot of work and a lot of money for the corrections to appear. At the end the finished model could end up as expensive as Tamiya's.

Hello,

Yes the old Mk.1 is missing the gul wing effect, a flaw that found its way almost exactly coppied into their 1/72 Mk.V kit.

However for a kit of its vintage the detail is good, and it features recessed pannel lines!!!

A bit of scratch building some improvements and some new decals should see it looking good even when displayed next to models built from modern kits, as long as you dont turn it over!!

A good possible use for it could be to display it on a base where it has made a gear up forced landing, hiding the bulk of the things which let it down.

As what they've given us is basically a Va rather than a typical II, I think that's how I'll build mine out of the box, thus rendering most of the issues irrelevant. Really I don't know why they didn't just decal and badge it as a Va, they would have had far less grief!

That is not a bad plan.

The *old* one (1967) is kit H-282. Which, incredibly, was still being sold new in 2010. For some reason I have a decal sheet for it on a shelf at home. I have never actually owned the kit though.

It's a form of modelling Osmosis.

all modellers have stuff they never bought.

odd but true.

• Like 1

It's a form of modelling Osmosis.

all modellers have stuff they never bought.

odd but true.

Agree Pete, I was raking through my old Model mags a few weeks ago and out fell the decal sheet for Revells 1/32 USN/RN martlett which I have not got

or can ever remember having!

Beautiful model and ditto figure painting!

Strange that such an accomplished modeller still paints the crowbar red and, worse, positions both ailerons deflected down!

Kind regards,

Joachim

I have seen this quite a lot, where modelers are brilliant at their craft but dont actualy understand how what they are modeling works and concequently make big mistakes even with the basics, like positioning both ailerons down or having all the control surfaces deflected and the control column at centre position.

But that said the finished model does look absiluitely superb. :jealous::thumbsup2:

Flaps are down, too. :weep:

Agreed, an atypical config, to say the least. But they could conceivable be down for servicing, for example and, for a demo build, it might be regarded as a demonstration of available kit options.

However, both ailerons down is a screamer...

Kind regards,

Joachim

Agreed, an atypical config, to say the least. But they could conceivable be down for servicing, for example and, for a demo build, it might be regarded as a demonstration of available kit options.

Kind regards,

Joachim

or maybe the modeller wasnt particually bothered about the accuracy of flaps up or down and just wanted to show off as much detail as possible!:-)

Kind regards,

Joachim

have you seen the actual pics? It is not being serviced! The pilot is standing there waving his arms about telling his colleague how clever he is, and his colleague is thinking "What an idiot".

or maybe the modeller wasnt particually bothered about the accuracy of flaps up or down and just wanted to show off as much detail as possible!:-)

Which is why I wrote: "...for a demo build, it might be regarded as a demonstration of available kit options." ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim

have you seen the actual pics? It is not being serviced! The pilot is standing there waving his arms about telling his colleague how clever he is, and his colleague is thinking "What an idiot".

Of course I have. How else would I know about the red crowbar and the ailerons?

I'm trying to be charitable here. The mechs servicing the flaps were told to hide out of sight during the photo session by the narcissistic pilots.

Kind regards,

Joachim

I liked this comment in the article: (emphasis added)

To give the kit a typical 1941 scene, François painted two RAF pilot figurines from Masterbox in the Ukraine to add to the vibe of the scene - somewhere in England in 1940.

And I can't say those photos make me like the rivets any better, but that's old news, I guess. And what do I know? I'm just a rivet-counting accuracy Nazi!

bob