Spitfire type 300

Jimjohn63

Unfortunately, I dont think there is one. (ill have a look through my SAM spitfire profiel tomorrow).

CMR do a resin kit for both the early and later prototype. Converting Airfix's Mk.I would be a doddle...

Ben

Didn't Pegasus do one, 25 or more years ago (full kit) ? There was also an article in SMI (by Robert Humphreys ?) around 1991 or so detailing a conversion, though I leave it for the Spit experts to pass judgement on that one.

Thanks guys....wellsprop I've seen that PDF found it in my many searches but being new to the hobby I have no skills:( and making resin exhausts and vac forming a windshield are beyond me,could do the panel lines I think. I think I'll go for the resin kit.

Thanks guys....wellsprop I've seen that PDF found it in my many searches but being new to the hobby I have no skills:( and making resin exhausts and vac forming a windshield are beyond me,could do the panel lines I think. I think I'll go for the resin kit.

I have very limited scratchbuilding abilities but I managed to convert a Spit to a prototype, here's how I did it http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234948090-spitfire-with-a-twist-172-airfix-mki/

No vacforming, no resin casting. I used home printed decals (kindly provided by Rick) and the canopy was the front curved part of the airfix XIX and the flat part of a canopy i previously had.

Ben

• Like 1

I built my CMR K5054 in 2011; it's a very easy build and qualifies as an entry level resin kit. In other words, if you've built a few kits and know how to use superglue and filler, you should have no problem. Price may put you off, but like most CMR Spitfire kits, they are great value. I got mine online and was able to save quite a bit on price. Link to my build below.

http://scale-modeller.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/spitfire-prototype-k5054.html

Tim

• Like 1

I built my CMR K5054 in 2011; it's a very easy build and qualifies as an entry level resin kit. In other words, if you've built a few kits and know how to use superglue and filler, you should have no problem. Price may put you off, but like most CMR Spitfire kits, they are great value. I got mine online and was able to save quite a bit on price. Link to my build below.

http://scale-modeller.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/spitfire-prototype-k5054.html

Tim

The Spitfire Site has a couple of article about building the CMR kit: http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/building-cmr-172-spitfire-prototype-k5054.html.

CMR is very expensive but whereelse do you get a (Spitfire) "Victor, and the F.21 and more like this in 1/72?

They also have the trainer.

Edited by NPL

I'd hold off on the CMR trainer, given that the AZ one is just round the corner and will be half the price at least.

Aeroclud did a Spitfire prototype conversion many years ago, but as to it's availability I don't know. Mind, it was geared to go with the old (1970s) Airfix mk Ia.

It also depends on when in it's career you want to do K5054 .

I'd hold off on the CMR trainer, given that the AZ one is just round the corner and will be half the price at least.

Aeroclud did a Spitfire prototype conversion many years ago, but as to it's availability I don't know. Mind, it was geared to go with the old (1970s) Airfix mk Ia.

It is always a matter of money versus quality. I have one CMR set myself (the seafire 46). It is marvelous but not my scale (1/48). It is very much the same with the prototype in 1/48. Paragon produced some pieces to make one. OK, but then we got the Alleycat half a year ago, it that was another matter, but it costs (40£ I believe). If you cannot live without this verfsion of the Spitfire, well, better save up for the expensive kits.

The Hasagawa MK1 is a good place to start. £2inc off Fleabay. It has virtually everything you need. That's what I've used for mine.

You just need to file the windshield down to create the curved screen (it's very thick to start with!) and use some decals for the exhausts. PM me if you need any.

Hmm, must finish mine.

Rick.

• Like 1

Oooo whens the AZ trainer out?!

The Hasagawa MK1 is a good place to start. £2inc off Fleabay. It has virtually everything you need. That's what I've used for mine.

You just need to file the windshield down to create the curved screen (it's very thick to start with!) and use some decals for the exhausts. PM me if you need any.

Hmm, must finish mine.

Rick.

C'mon Rick, youve had that on the bench since I built my prototype! ;)

Ben

• Like 1

Hmm, must finish mine.

Rick.

Better off going for the Airfix mk I/Mk IIa kit. At least it has a gull wing, full cockpit interior, correct u/c and wheels and recessed panels.

Ye olde Hasegawa kit is best left in the dark ages whence it came. It was superseded 30-odd years ago by the old tool Airfix Ia!

The AZ Tr9 is imminent. The artwork's aready up on site. TBH, I'm more interested in the Tr.8.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 2

Oooo whens the AZ trainer out?!

C'mon Rick, youve had that on the bench since I built my prototype! ;)

Ben

Yeh, Yeh, I know!

I was held up by painting the spinner.

Better off going for the Airfix mk I/Mk IIa kit. At least it has a gull wing, full cockpit interior, correct u/c and wheels and recessed panels.

Ye olde Hasegawa kit is best left in the dark ages whence it came. It was superseded 30-odd years ago by the old tool Airfix Ia!

The AZ Tr9 is imminent. The artwork's aready up on site. TBH, I'm more interested in the Tr.8.

The Hasagawa has the advantage of raised panel lines! You don't need to fill the trenches on the wings, just smooth them off with the gawa.

I didn't bother re-scribing mine in the end, I don't think you can really tell in this scale.

The fuselage panel lines are also quite subtle on the gawa.

The wheels are also ok when you fill the centres.

As for the cockpit inertia, I can't see much in there anyway. I also think doing amazing cockpit detail in 1/72 is kinda over rated, my eyes can't see much in there anyway!

Oh, the other reason for using the Hasa, it was dead cheap and sat on the shelf not being used!

JimJohn63, there's an Xtradecal sheet (X72075) available from Hannants for the decals of K5054.

I'll PM you ref zorst decals.

Right, were did I leave mine.......

Rick.

• Like 1

Yeh, Yeh, I know!

I was held up by painting the spinner.

The Hasagawa has the advantage of raised panel lines! You don't need to fill the trenches on the wings, just smooth them off with the gawa.

I didn't bother re-scribing mine in the end, I don't think you can really tell in this scale.

The fuselage panel lines are also quite subtle on the gawa.

The wheels are also ok when you fill the centres.

As for the cockpit inertia, I can't see much in there anyway. I also think doing amazing cockpit detail in 1/72 is kinda over rated, my eyes can't see much in there anyway!

Oh, the other reason for using the Hasa, it was dead cheap and sat on the shelf not being used!

JimJohn63, there's an Xtradecal sheet (X72075) available from Hannants for the decals of K5054.

I'll PM you ref zorst decals.

Right, were did I leave mine.......

Rick.

So much good info here guys,thanks so much:)

I already have the Airfix Mk1 for the base so will go from there and the decals are on their way.

Have replied to your pm Rick,thanks again

• Like 1

Old Airfix would also be a suitable starting point, having raised panel lines - this one should also be available cheaply. A Hase Ia could be raided for the Watts and flat canopy and still be built as a nostalgia build, the cannibalised parts being alternatives anyway.

• Like 1

However, be aware that the two-blade prop on K5054, at least in the early stages of development, was significantly different from the two-blade prop used in series Spitfire I production. Early fights were with a much finer pitch prop.

However, be aware that the two-blade prop on K5054, at least in the early stages of development, was significantly different from the two-blade prop used in series Spitfire I production. Early fights were with a much finer pitch prop.

Correct. I scratch built my own early prop :P

• Like 1