I got talking to Mel at S & M models at the Milton Keynes show about his Oldmodels decals and before I knew what had happened I'd bought a Viscount.

Realising that I really wanted to do an old Northeast machine from my years watching planes at LBA I found myself making my first airliner for 20 plus years. I take my hat off to the chaps and chappesses who do this as a regular thing the skills needed differ from making military aircraft and certainly from mine.

However she looks ok from 'spotting distance'.

OYO1_zps2fa2faec.jpg

OYO2_zpsf4e4e763.jpg

Decals by Two six

OYO4_zps83d8c87b.jpg

Happy memories

hanks for looking.

• Like 7

Looks fine, certainly evokes memories.

Edited by jonbru1
  • Like 1

That brings back memories. Nice work.

Chris

• Like 1

Without wanting to detract from a great build, the right side tail logo is orientated wrongly, the arrow should point 45 degrees to the right of top dead centre, ie north-east yours points north-west.

Otherwise she looks great.

• Like 1

Looks great,brings back memories of taking my terrified brother about to take his first ever flight from Newcastle to Germany on one of their Britannia,s

and only imagining the state he was in when one of the engines would,nt start! the yellow top fuselage is familiar but I seem to remember

an awful brown colour being involved,mind it was a long long time ago!

• Like 1

A very good Viscount one of my favourites. Just like the recently posted Convair 440, you must have a look at that one, i'm looking back to days on the London Airport Queens Building late fifties.Many thanks for modeling these old airliners, cheers Lindan.

• Like 1

what a great looking build - well done to you. My dad got his command at BEA on Viscounts back in 69 and I was fortunate enough to have spent a number of years strapped into the jump seat behind him. Why don't they make planes with lovely large oval windows any more...

thanks for sharing and top marks once more

• Like 1

'YO was the last V806X to get a respray in the NE yellow (at Rhoose) in 1973. From then on, they started getting BA colours (Mk.I version). Good effort there even with the 'NorthWest' fin logo on the stbd side! You might have the main fwd door a bit far back too but it doesn't detract too much from your nice build.

Nige B

Nige B,

shows what tricks the memory plays, I was a regular on the hill at LBA from 1970 until moving to Sheffield( an aviation desert) in 1980 and I thought she was always in that scheme. I remember BA taking over the routes, getting giddy about new aircraft types turning up but good old YO kept turning up.

Thanks for the info. Sadly the logo is having to stay as it is.

Nige B,

shows what tricks the memory plays, I was a regular on the hill at LBA from 1970 until moving to Sheffield( an aviation desert) in 1980 and I thought she was always in that scheme. I remember BA taking over the routes, getting giddy about new aircraft types turning up but good old YO kept turning up.

Thanks for the info. Sadly the logo is having to stay as it is.

Well, 'YO was in BKS and BAS colours for some years at LBA before NE yellow. Being the last respray in the yellow, it naturally became a while before a major check + BA repaint, about two years, therefore around 1975 or so. We have spoken previously about LBA methinks. I was an engineer there before LHR and a wider career on the Tridents and 1-11s beckoned.

Best wishes, Nige B

I do remember going to Newcastle to see that exotic beast the Trident in 1973 and it was definitely yellow.

Anyway great memories. Now does anyone do a Trident in Northeast markings?

Well you could, using a modified Airfix kit and TwoSix decals, (or was it S&M - I forget). I have a set or two put by somewhere.