F9F Panther questions

Mike,

Most of the Panthers had the wheel bays painted the same color as the underside of the aircraft (gloss sea blue). I don't have references handy at the moment on the cockpit colors but memory tells me that at least the lower half of the cockpit was interior green. Be aware that the memory has been known to be faulty. I'll do some digging when I get home and see if I can find something for you.

Steve

As Steve has indicated, undersurface colours were applied to the various bays on the underside of the aircraft

It also depends on the period you will be modelling your Panthers Mike. In the Gloss Sea Blue scheme, landing gear bays, doors, legs, wheel hubs and inside of airbrakes were Gloss Sea Blue. Cockpits were either Zinc Chromate. Interior Green or latterly Dark Gull Grey.

Similarly, in the Gull Gray/White scheme, bays etc were Gloss White with the Cockpits in Dark Gull Gray.

In both cases the areas above the canopy line and the interior of the canopy framing together with the instrument panel were flat black.

The change over was from March 1954 - I think.

HTH

Dennis

Thanks guys - both are Korean War era, so overall glossy Sea Blue.

Another quick question springs to mind, the kit provides 500lb + 100lb bombs and HVAR rockets. Would they have used the HVARS in combination with 500lb bombs or would they have used bombs or rockets?

thanks

Mike

There are some pictures that suggest that the interior of the gear wells and landing gear doors was green on some airplanes. Also see a picture here: http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2012/01/corogard.html

However, the gear wells might have been painted blue at an overhaul.

F9F2colorshot.jpg

Whats the story on the intake damage on this jet?

Selwyn

Thanks guys - both are Korean War era, so overall glossy Sea Blue.

Another quick question springs to mind, the kit provides 500lb + 100lb bombs and HVAR rockets. Would they have used the HVARS in combination with 500lb bombs or would they have used bombs or rockets?

thanks

Mike

The F9F-2 could carry a maximum of 2800 pounds of ordnance on the pylons. 1,000-lb bombs could only be carried on the inboard wing. They could carry bombs and rockets at the same time. However, wind-over-deck and temperature requirements could limit loads when carrier-based. The most frequent load in pictures of carrier-based Panthers is six rockets and no bombs.

That will probably polish out :whistle:

LOL! "Gawd an it, I don't care how many Migs Ensign and stuff the trees too; look at my shredded barrier!" Well...if you didn't know that is.... :shutup:

But what a brilliant photo to add to the stash. Thanks TT, a very nice piccie you've posted thar!

Edited by Nobby57