RCAF, 'Dollar Nineteen'

This is the biggie I built recently and finished it in time before the D-Day GB. Basically the original Italeri C-119 Boxcar and Leading Edge Decals to dress it in. I opted to model 70's style and leave all the rasised panel lines but reduced them by going over the parst with wet and dry during and after assembly.
The markings are for 20119 of 436 Squadron in the late 1950s. I tried Alclad Airframe Aluminium but it was crass! It dried in a very dull and grainy finish; nothing at all like the previous bottle of the same colour I used in the past! Have gone right off Alclad now unless someone can tell me why my newest bottle is such rubbish!! Anyway I was lucky enough to get a jar of Testors Metalcote Aluminium and this worked very well. I also used a bit of Revell Acqua Silver airbrushed, for the upper halves of the booms and lower fuselage to represent the protective coated areas. Though this isn't discernible very much. Halfords appliance white did the top, the red gave me grief as it wouldn't dry but got this sorted and white decal striping for the main cockpit glazing. (Why spend hours masking?!! :) )

IMG_5631_zpse86ab960.jpg

IMG_5624_zpsfeb34a47.jpg

IMG_5630_zpsefc2476d.jpg

IMG_5629_zpsaca324f6.jpg

IMG_5623_zps4a0d4b42.jpg

IMG_5627_zpsffa92212.jpg

IMG_5625_zps8461a375.jpg

IMG_5626_zps6b4884b8.jpg
The serial last three is quite appropriate for the type.
IMG_5620_zps650eefad.jpg

Load me!!! Incidentally, the nose extension/radome comes with the LEM decals as a two part resin extra!!

EDIT: Unit number amended!

• Like 17

That is excellent work, :thumbsup:

I just love the colour/markings of Canadian aircraft

I built the AC-119 'Stinger' , kits go together well, but the main problem I found was the very weak undercarriage attachments for the wheels, mine have broken off several times and had to be repaired, did you find the same problem?

Cheers all. Thought the bright scheme will cheer up people on a Monday morning!

dwh: not had issues with the undercart yet except the nose leg. Quite a weak join as it has a 'D' shape peg and hole and I feel this makes fitting weak though aids correct alignment.

That's a lovely build of a difficult to work with kit, very nice finish!

Just a note, the elephant head marking below the pilot's window (visible in the fifth picture) is the emblem for 436 Squadron, not 437:

http://www.canadianwings.com/Squadrons/squadronDetail.php?No.-436-Squadron-92

437 had a husky for an emblem and never used the C-119.

That's a lovely build of a difficult to work with kit, very nice finish!

Just a note, the elephant head marking below the pilot's window (visible in the fifth picture) is the emblem for 436 Squadron, not 437:

http://www.canadianwings.com/Squadrons/squadronDetail.php?No.-436-Squadron-92

437 had a husky for an emblem and never used the C-119.

Ah cheers for that. Finger trouble and looking at keys crosseyed again! I knew the squadron but for some reason got thinking about the Husky!

Duly amended!

Nice one Paul,....I like this one a lot and have always liked the RCAF Boxcar,....you`ve really captured it well,

Cheers

Tony

Nice one Paul. I was attached to 436 Sqn RCAF when they moved from Trenton to Downsview in 1956 then I was moved to Namao and 435 Sqn. I was on tower duty the day 125 crashed after losing the left engine on take-off and attempting to return for a landing.

Luckily all survived the crash

Barney http://www.barneysairforce.com

Nice one Paul. I was attached to 436 Sqn RCAF when they moved from Trenton to Downsview in 1956 then I was moved to Namao and 435 Sqn. I was on tower duty the day 125 crashed after losing the left engine on take-off and attempting to return for a landing.

Luckily all survived the crash

Barney http://www.barneysairforce.com

Agreed,she looks fabulous Paul.

I built it when it first appeared back in the mid 80's.

Quite a few were lost to engine failure,though this wasn't because of the R-3350

having reliability problems,it was the Aeroproducts prop(the ones as modelled)

that caused trouble plus the old C-119 was a bit of a handful on one engine.

The Aeroproducts CSU was prone to either sticking in coarse pitch or running

away and causing engines to go bang if the flight crew weren't quick enough

to realise the problem and shut the engine down.

That usually resulted in an unfeatherable windmilling prop that produced horrble

amounts of drag,compounding the tricky one engine handling of the old kite.........

This is the main reasons that most airworthy Buck Nineteens have three blade

Hamilton Standards fitted,a smidge less thrust,but far more reliable.

Edited by Miggers

Thanks again everyone. The yellow black chevron comes in the Leading Edge decals! A nice touch. I need a truck/lorry backed up to it I think!!!.