Convair 440 Metropolitan. 1:144 Welsh models vacform

Convair 440 Metropolitan

1:144 Welsh Models with Lima November decals

Met2_zps3c8b95a3.jpg

Like many twin engine airlinres of the 1940's, 50's, and 60's the Convair 240 started life as a DC-3 replacement, and went through several developments. This version, the 440, was in answer to the Vickers Viscount and featured more soundproofing and aerodynamically improved cowlings.

In service with SAS from 1956 to 1976, they were configured with 52-56 seats and operated with an excellent safety record, not one of SAS's fleet was ever lost. (although in 1965 LN-KLE on a crew training flight hit some trees and landed with various bit of branches embedded in it!)

An attractive aeroplane, I wanted on in my collection and obtained the Welsh models kit couple of years ago. Of course this resulted in Authentic Airliners releasing a beautiful resin kit once I started mine!

I've been working on it 'now and again' for over a year now, and finally finished it off this week. I bought Lima November's lovely decal sheet 'Early SAS Conviar 440's' as I like this scheme best, and also the decal sheet in my kit was the later scheme and incompletely printed anyway.

I made my own little engine fronts from rod and card, so that I could have the cowling fronts correctly open. I cut out and glazed the cockpit windows, but because I had used a full 'keel' inside the fuselage halves, you can't see through from one side to the other! Lesson learned.

Here she is (pictures are about life-size)

Met3_zps471f5b0b.jpg

Met1_zps7973d6fe.jpg

Met4_zps9733193c.jpg

Met5_zps4a949542.jpg

Met6_zps4543ac08.jpg

Here is one I prepared earlier, Roden's DC-7c also in Lima Novembers SAS decals;

Met7_zps794e8c87.jpg

And finally, my growing collection of Welsh Models Twin engine airliners;

Met8_zpse43e81d5.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 12

Superb build, loving the collection.

Absolutley first class. A good subject very well built. They take me back to seeing, probably these actual aircraft, from the Queens Building Heathrow 1957/ 58. This standard of modeling is what makes this site the best. I might pluck up courage to post my 1/72 Acadamy Sratocruiser B.O.A.C. The trouble is it,s not up to this standard of neet build. Many thanks, Lindan.

• Like 1

Excellent work - a nice addition to a great looking set of models. I really like the BMA Herald,

Chris

Absolutley first class. A good subject very well built. They take me back to seeing, probably these actual aircraft, from the Queens Building Heathrow 1957/ 58. This standard of modeling is what makes this site the best. I might pluck up courage to post my 1/72 Acadamy Sratocruiser B.O.A.C. The trouble is it,s not up to this standard of neet build. Many thanks, Lindan.

A great thing about this site is the range of stndards of modelling that is posted and the positive and helpful response posted. Let's see your Stratocruiser.

Jon

Edited by jonbru1

A great thing about this site is the range of stndards of modelling that is posted and the positive and helpful response posted. Let's see your Stratocruiser.

Jon

I'll second than Lindan, lets see the Strat!

I also remember spotting from the roof of the Queens building, in my day it was Comets, Viscounts, Vanguards, Tridents, DC-9's, 737's, 727's, etc (Iberia ones were sometimes spectacularly grimy!) what we wouldn't give to see some of those again!

Thanks for all the comments folks,

Cheers

John

Magnificent result John. Love the detail on the spinners, and what I wrestle with, with every airliner, is getting the line where the white top meets the grey / metal bottom. No matter how meticulous I get, come decal time, oops.

You nailed this - very, very impressive.

Cheers,

Mike

This is really a superb build of this Convair airliner, resulting in this beautiful replica ! It's a real gem and shows off both the handsome lines of the Metropolitan, as well as Scandinavian Airlines very good looking livery.

Just a few days ago I was looking through my copy of Bill Yenne's book, "Classic American Airliners" and on page 66 it has a beautiful color picture of a SAS Metropolitan 400-75, just about to come off the assembly line at San Diego. The plane is the "Ivar Viking" and if features nearly the same scheme as your gorgeous airliner.

I have a quite old Hawk C-131 kit that I built as a very young kid back in '59 (that's 1959, not 1859 !) and I am in the (slow) process of re-building and restoring it. If it has 10 % of the quality your model does, I'll consider it a success !

Mike