I don't know if you can see a whole lot of difference from the previous pic, but I applied a coat of Alclad Aqua Klear and once that'd dried gave the bark and sapwood a wash with AK Wash for Wooden Decks.

14619316035_ff34305616_c.jpg

It only needed a little bit of cleaning up - the advantages of a soft surface rather than hard surface model - and then I could get on with the moss. This is mostly AK Dark Slimy Grime, applied patchily and then stippled and blended in, to get a damp background.

The moss patches are a slurry of the slimy grime and MIG Beach Sand pigment for bulk. I blended them as well, and applied spots of Dark Slimy Grime, Dark Streaking Grime etc. to break them up. Looking at the pictures they need a bit more blending. I re-applied the pinwash over the moss to keep the contrast up.

14432702988_beb7477dea_c.jpg

I'm wondering about adding bits of "thick" moss using Woodland Scenics ground foam, but maybe that'd be too much?

I also added some lichen with sponged acrylics (Iyanden Darksun and Ulthuan Grey, fact fans). I thought it looked good until I saw the pics - in close up it looks like paint. Might be fixable with some careful painting or picking away at it, otherwise I'll just paint over I think.

14432701728_a08fd31ac1_c.jpg

Oh, and I made a start on the base. The legs are posed to stand on a bit of plastic which looks like it's supposed to be a dead dwarf or some kind of machine. I kept this since it made getting the foot height right really easy, but sliced away a lot of the detail.

The paperclips in the feet slot into holes I drilled in the base, and the rest is built up from an offcut of balsa, some slate chips, and lightweight filler. I'll seal it tomorrow and paint it then add some ground cover.

Definitely on the home stretch now - I even remembered to put the highlight in the eye :)

Cheers,

Will

Hi folks,

I touched up the lichen with lots of magnification - essentially trying to extend the sponge marks into the sort of rounded patches you see in real life. I then washed over it with a thinned mix of green glaze and Gryphonne Sepia wash to give it a wetter setting and a bit more depth.

With that done (and some more bits touched up) I was able to apply a coat of Alclad Klear Flat. I always like this stage as you can see the hues in the paint job appear from behind the specular highlights :)

14626912952_909215d194_c.jpg

I finally got to paint the gem bezel as well. I used Vallejo Liquid Gold Old Gold, as recommended by Buypainted on Youtube. It's quite cool - like an alcohol based Alclad. I thought I'd leave it to dry overnight since apparently if the wet paint gets anywhere near water at all, it will rust (!)

So tomorrow I can add gloss varnish to the gem and maybe the eye, and sort out the ground cover for the base. Plus I keep finding white bits that I've missed, so lots of work required to touch them all in.

I was wondering about adding some blood to one of the mystical patterns in the bark, as though it was some kind of ritual ingredient to awake the treeman. But maybe that would be a bit much? Any advice welcome, basically!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

Nearly there, I've re-glossed the gem, added some sap following a friend's suggestion using Tamiya Clear Orange, and filled in some larvae in the wasp's nest cells in the head using a mixture of Pallid Wych Flesh and glazing medium.

14447934970_0b03c9289c_c.jpg

I also plucked up courage and added some more interestingly textured "moss" using a paste of ground foam, scenic cement (dilute matt medium, effectively) and a bit of Knarlock Green paint.

14632450764_a0bd3acf98_c.jpg

It's a bit loud, and I will tone it down when dry, but it's not as worrying as I thought it was initially!

The base has had a bit of ground cover too - some mixture of stuff I made up for forest floors in my Hoellentalbahn layout a few years ago. Plus a bit of Mininatur foliage and more moss.

He's fixed down now, so just touch-ups and tweaks to do, then unmask the base and take some RFI pictures tomorrow. Unless anyone can see anything I missed?

Thanks!

Will

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments - it's a Games Workshop kit from their recent-ish range of wood elves. Surprisingly all plastic, and rather expensive for the size, but I felt like I got my money's worth:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Treeman

The price is rather better in the UK than it is over here!

Don't know if you saw but there are some better pics of the end result in RFI here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234964073-old-father-elm-ancient-treeman/

Cheers,

Will