Eduard Spitfire LFMk.IXc, ML135, flown by Jerry Billing, No. 401 Squadron, ALG B4, France, July 1, 1944. July 23 update.

Was'on

My Typhoon has come a bit of a stand still whilst I'm waiting for the seat harness to arrive from HGW so I thought I'd make a start on this lot..
P1010569_zps8c0741a1.jpg
...should be fun!

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1

Was'on

Tonight I'm going to start my Eduard Spitfire Mk IX and first on the agenda is to remove the unwanted areas ready for the addition of the resin bits n bobs..

Slide1_zps475472e7.jpg

Slide2_zps6ac6647b.jpg

Looking at the original Eduard parts the surgery shouldn't be that difficult as the plastic is very thin where the cuts need to be made (obviously the kit was designed with this in mind)

I'll post some more pictures later, good or bad to show my progress.

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1

Was'on

OK so I've bitten the bullet and I've hacked away at the plastic...

P1010578_zps939bdb0a.jpg

P1010574_zps3e32dd7f.jpg

P1010575_zps7b2fd071.jpg

P1010576_zps1b927d21.jpg

I've purposely left some excess material that still needs to be removed as its easier to take plastic off than it is to try and replace it.

P1010577_zps086f7246.jpg

I've also removed the bump thats recognition light (I think) from the inside of the lower wing as this fouls the resin cockpit when you try to install it.

Thats all for tonight

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 3

Iain you brave brave man im looking and thinking i cant do that!! ill still watch yours though!

Hey Mr Crustydude (I don't think that's your real name you know) :-)

I'll be honest it was with some trepidation that I took my razor saw, scalpel, pin vice and sanding blocks to the plastic but it wasn't too bad. As I said earlier I've left an excess of material that still needs to be removed and the edges need tidying up in general but I'll sort that out as I start the build proper and start to add the resin bits n bobs.

Now I'm not too sure what to start first? I was thinking the radio compartment and gun bay first followed by the engine and cockpit? Such dilemmas for a chap..

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1

Hey Mr Crustydude (I don't think that's your real name you know) :-)

I'll be honest it was with some trepidation that I took my razor saw, scalpel, pin vice and sanding blocks to the plastic but it wasn't too bad. As I said earlier I've left an excess of material that still needs to be removed and the edges need tidying up in general but I'll sort that out as I start the build proper and start to add the resin bits n bobs.

Now I'm not too sure what to start first? I was thinking the radio compartment and gun bay first followed by the engine and cockpit? Such dilemmas for a chap..

Yours aye

Iain

oh no you mean ive been rumbled,whatever gave it away? ...ive been so careful to try passing myself off as Mr crustydude:-D

its watching builds like yours with the little tips about leaving a little excess plastic around the edges..that has improved my model making skills im getting more and more confidence to try. new things and it is paying dividends for me....the scalpel and razor saw still quite daunting, it just the "what if?" scenario.....one day ill do it!:-)

im sure a modeller of your skills can sort out all those aftermarket goodies....u cant get rid of me,im gonna be glued (pardon the pun) to this thread!:-)

regards

Tim

Edited by The Crusty one

Was'on

Not much to report. I've made a start on the radio bay and tidied up the cuts that I made on the airplane.

Tomorrow will hopefully see the radio bay finished and put to one side for safe keeping I'm a clumsy so and so at the best of times and I don't want to damage any of the PE once it's all bent into submission errr sorry shape. I'll take some photos then ( not that there will be much to see)

Tim aka Mr Crustydude

Cheers mate I just hope I can do it justice!

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1

Good afternoon everyone from a very warm and sunny Kernow!

I have a very small update to share with you, its not much but its an update...

P1010580_zpsa713a334.jpg

P1010581_zps40a12032.jpg

P1010582_zps86797901.jpg

P1010583_zps7698f417.jpg

P1010584_zpsf1bd1b89.jpg

P1010585_zps5fb45b7e.jpg

To night I'm going to make a start on the cockpit, which by my present pace will take me a month to do! The battery compartment has been put on hold while I wait for a set of Tamiya photo etch bending pliers to arrive..

_35_zps342eb323.jpg

See you dreckly

Iain

• Like 2

wonder if anyone has noticed someone has nicked gun bays out of a spitfire somewhere....top work mate:-)

Tim

Was'on Tim

Cheers mate tbh the Eduard Additions are very easy to use and they fit very very well, all you need do is add paint and away you go!

I've made a start on the cockpit (well I've primed it all) and I've decided to use the resin ip instead of the photo etch item so I'll also be using Airscale instruments and placards to add the detail..

See you dreckly

Iain

• Like 1

Excellent looking gun bays! I'm building my first Eduard Spitfire at the moment, but I'm sticking with what comes in the box on this one. It's only my second 1/48 kit so, if it goes okay, I may try your route at some point in the future!

I shall bookmark your thread for future reference and will watch with interest how this progresses.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Was'on Tim

Cheers mate tbh the Eduard Additions are very easy to use and they fit very very well, all you need do is add paint and away you go!

I've made a start on the cockpit (well I've primed it all) and I've decided to use the resin ip instead of the photo etch item so I'll also be using Airscale instruments and placards to add the detail..

See you dreckly

Iain

like the way you say "add paint" thats the bit that makes the part look so good! im watching this very closely you know...i might actually be able to get mine somewhere as good as yours!:-D

regards

Tim

Hey Tim

If there is anything you'd like me to expand on during my build please feel free to ask. I can't guarantee that the way I do things is the best or even the easiest way but I'm more than happy to share my very limited knowledge and experience.

I'm going to crack on with the cockpit tomorrow and I intend to build the Sutton harness for my Tiffie too, plus goto B and Q and Perranporth beach with the wife and nipper so much for a day off eh?

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1

Excellent looking gun bays! I'm building my first Eduard Spitfire at the moment, but I'm sticking with what comes in the box on this one. It's only my second 1/48 kit so, if it goes okay, I may try your route at some point in the future!

I shall bookmark your thread for future reference and will watch with interest how this progresses.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hey Stix

That's a lot mate the standard kit really is a gem, I built one OOB when they were first released (it was my 3rd ever build) and it turned out really well so I'm sure yours is going great too? Do you have any pictures of it?

Cheers mate

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1

Hey Tim

If there is anything you'd like me to expand on during my build please feel free to ask. I can't guarantee that the way I do things is the best or even the easiest way but I'm more than happy to share my very limited knowledge and experience.

I'm going to crack on with the cockpit tomorrow and I intend to build the Sutton harness for my Tiffie too, plus goto B and Q and Perranporth beach with the wife and nipper so much for a day off eh?

Yours aye

Iain

Cheers Iain good to know..was just wondering what paints you use and is it simply a case of paint and washes? because mine just does not turn out like this..but i am still regarding myself as a learner at this so any advice welcomed:-)

regards

Tim

P.S is your typhoon build on here?

Edited by The Crusty one

Morning Tim

All I use is Halfords primer out of a rattle can and in this case Citadel chain-mail silver for the main structure and Tamiya XF-84 dark iron for the cannon and pipes. Once they've cured I give them a coat of Klear (floor polish) and a wash of Windsor and Newton Coal black and burnt umber oils very heavily thinned with turps, once thats dried I use a cotton bud with turps to remove any excess wash and seal it with Alcad Klear Kote matt and that is literally that! :D

My Tiffy build can be found here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961214-hasegawa-148-hawker-typhoon-mk-1b-small-update-09-june-14/#entry1636836

Theres not much to see and the photos are a bit rubbish :weep:

Cheers mate, have a good un

Iain