Sunderland Flying Boat

That is quite some sea - very nicely rendered. Enjoy the spinning prop effect too, and nailed the weathering - I really enjoyed viewing these.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the positive feedback. This is my first post on Britmodeller so I am struggling getting images loaded up.

Have saved as Jpegs. Is this the correct format?

Something tells me that plane's in trouble!

As has been said, fabulous movement of the sea and I do like the props.

Graham

That is the best representation I could imagine, of what a frothy tossed sea would look like. The pale blue really conveys a sense of the water being saturated with tiny bubbles of air from all the churning. The spinning props look perfect. I normally don't go for that look but the whole piece just works so well. As stated earlier, the movement and drama is probably the lynchpin in the diorama. Without that steep angle you've placed the Sunderland at, I don't think the scene would have been as captivating.

If I haven't conveyed my appreciation with my applause critique, may I say WELL DONE.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for the encouraging feedback!

The sea was made from modelling clay that was allowed to dry for a week before spraying with a 50-50 mix of humbrol gloss 48 and matt 131. highlights were picked out by spraying with the same mix and 40% white before the crests were dry brushed with white. The "froth" around the hull is just cotton wool sprayed with matt white. I'm not sure it works. I would be glad to hear any suggestions to get a better effect. The props are just circles of thick overhead projector film sprayed with matt black and humbrol yellow. This is my first experiment with a seascape and I am glad you like it.

• Like 2

Now that is a dynamic scene! Can you hit the 'PLAY' button now pleas so we can see how it pans out?

I had thought of having one prop stopped and on fire and my daughter wanted me to put a jumping dolphin in but I resisted. If you look closely there are no flight crew in this model so the scene depicts the Sunderland landing immediately after aliens have abducted the crew. I'm working on a flying saucer with a transporter beam fading into the distance to finish.

• Like 4