Gunship from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind [new pix]

Hi folks,

I built this as a "quick" build this week - I have no idea how people manage to do weekend builds of anything - and as an antidote to the big ship I still haven't finished for the LTAT group build.

14393973646_fc81ced995_b.jpg

(Click for bigger)

It's Bandai's kit of the Nausicaa gunship, with figures of Nausicaa and Mito. I only watched the movie last night so I didn't realise that the flaps are actually funky thrust-vectoring engines, or I would have got some metallics and exhaust stains in there instead of the interior green.

14393974166_ef512e9158_b.jpg

The figures are nice and I've made an effort to paint them properly, but they had to be installed before the fuselage was closed. I masked them with wet tissue and they're now covered with a tracery of tissue fibres which I need to get rid of before taking some better pictures. The light was failing so I only got these two, I'll put some more up tomorrow.

Decals are from my spares - the big numbers and the heart are from a Ma.K Grosser Hund, and the stencils are mostly from a Wave sheet. They have mostly silvered in annoying ways (the whole decal rather than bubbles). I'm not sure what I did wrong - plenty of gloss varnish under and over, and I've used them before with some success. Oh well.

Paint is decanted Tamiya IJN Gray-Green, Tamiya acrylics, with Alclad metallics and MIG washes, and it's sealed with Alclad Klear Flat since the Light Sheen was too shiny in this case.

Decals aside, I'm quite happy with it!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 6

Will,

Very nice job and good choice of markings.

There's definitely a whiff of late 30's Germany

in the machine designs in the anime.

I have this one in the to do pile.

When? Who knows?

Not my favourite anime but a good watch.

Yeah having just watched the end I really enjoyed it. I don't think the story is tight but the mood, backgrounds and designs are fantastic.

I've seen some pictures of the Tsukuda sprues and they looked OK, but I gather the fit was iffy and the clear parts were bad. Bandai provided lovely, albeit thick, clear parts, an interior, and good fit. I think the main downside is that the U/C is quite heavy now whereas the original had a bit more finesse.

I did scrape down the edges of the U/C fairings a bit to try and make them less toy-like.

Cheers,

Will

Thanks for the kind comments!

Ross, not only does it exist but it's dirt cheap. There are some others too - Nausicaa on the glider, Nausicaa with an Ohmu, and one of those riding chicken-ostrich things.

I've got one half-finished on my shelf-o-doom; yours gives me a KUTA to get on with it!

Would like to see that! I don't know if there's much advice I can offer - the seams were generally nice although the wing-body fit was a little gappy. The hardest thing was masking the figures so I could paint the fuselage. Oh, and I left off the big dome windows and masked the holes with circles cut from Tamiya tape, that worked really well and they just clicked in place at the end.

Will

It's about 5 quid from HLJ: http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN924909/Sci

Plus postage, but these kits are pretty light so that's not normally a problem. Having seen the movie I'd quite like the glider and the baby Ohmu/Oumu :)

I took some more pictures today:

14424021365_fbe8f191eb_b.jpg

14237373759_62a9320582_b.jpg

14237426008_eb60c68f1c_b.jpg

I hope the crushed blacks aren't upsetting anyone, I thought they looked quite cool. I also managed to mostly de-fluff Nausicaa and Mito and got their pictures too:

14400900966_0e93560bd9_b.jpg

14420681371_3bc55d7ed9_b.jpg

I won't be using wet tissue again - better to spend more time with Tamiya tape I think. Their heads in the flying helmets are almost exactly the same size as matchheads, so I was quite surprised I managed to get the eyes in. Bandai provided moulded detail to paint, and anime eyes are usually a bit bigger which helps!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3

whilst I'm not familiar with the subject at hand, I think you've done a bang up job on that Will! Especially with the pilots considering how small they are

Great photography too!

Si

Thanks for the kind comments! The bit of tissue stuck to Mito's headrest is really annoying me though, I might see if I can remove it.

Will

• 4 weeks later...

I like the markings you put on the starboard wing; I didn't realise it wasn't in the film's gunship till I watched it again last night.

Ross.

Thanks for the kind comments folks!

I was going to paint it in the film scheme but then I saw a lovely model of a Zero on a recent magazine cover and I had to have something in that grey-green. The markings just seemed to fit - they're liberated from a Hasegawa Ma.K kit. Plus I was 39 the weekend I started the model :D

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

• 2 months later...