Douglas C-47 Skytrain - Airfix 1/72

woody37

Sort of it being a tooling necessity, the other possible reason is that it may hint into a future release of the so-called "speed" improvements, i.e. the removal of the large wing fairing and replacement with a smaller and flatter one; or to make it easy for the modeller to do it themselves;

Forgot to include a link of the "speed" wing fairings:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/2216967/L/

Cheers,

Christos

It strike me that the windows, as done will be flush

This is a fixation with airliner modellers...flush windows.

In reality they are indented as they are attached to the inner skin. The lack of rivets and totally inaccurate tenches spoil this model. The instruction sheet is a wast of money and I'd far prefer the old type expolded views that were black and white and perfectly clear.

The lack of unweighted wheels is a mistake also.

Oddly enough, the best skin representation was the ealy Airfix kit. Covered in heavy rivets, it was a creature of it's time. Once brush painted with two or three coats of contemporary enamal you wished the deatail was heavier. What survived, if careful, was a hint of rivets under the thick paint when you got close up. It is the advent of the airbrush and thinner better covering paint that make these early kits look silly.

• 2 months later...

Couldn't help noticing the change in safety culture of yesteryear (1964) to today's practices, No High Viz in sight, and the 2 bods on a baggage trolley being lifted by the forklift truck, Not sure if they are working on the door or the prop, someone seems to be turning the prop by hand though.

Ah the good old days of being able to walk along the piers at Manchester.

The Dan-Air aircraft were all C-47B, so it won't be a pre-war DC-3.

Manchester_Airport_1964.jpg

This kit is on the wish list, Have a ESCI Eastern airways one in the stash that will go up for sale when the airfix replacement is obtained, maybe minus decals though.

• Like 1

Ah the good old days of being able to walk along the piers at Manchester.

Couldn't agree more! and there was such a variety of aircraft to look at as well. Ah the good old days!

Talking of 'elf and safety, I remember my father telling me when he was on BEA Viscounts that after shut down the props would keep spinning for ages, so often an engineer would appear with a step ladder, put it in front of the spinning prop and climb up and grasp the spinner with a rag until it stopped.

Don't think that would happen nowadays.