Star Wars Kit licence changes hands

Bandai now has the Star Wars model kit licence in Japan. Kits announced at the Tokyo Toy Show so far are 1/72 & 1/48th X-Wings, 1/72nd TIE Advanced X-1 & a 1/1700th Star Destroyer. Pics show it is lit up so is probably going to be very expensive!

Shops are advising to buy up any Fine Molds kits you need while you can.

Paul Harrison

Sounds like those Star Trek ships Bandai did. Way to pricey for me.

Paul Harrison

Great news for figure collectors, not so good for us model builders, Fine Mold have built up a range of very nice 1/72, 1/48 and 1/144 kits, if they are to be no more they will be sorely missed.

Cheers,

Warren

I have all Fine Mold kits that interest me. If they are taken from the market they will most likely become even more expensive. But I doubt they are taken from the market. Revell has Star Wars kits too and when Bandai is doing figures and preassembled or pre-painted stuff this is maybe the soloution to sell another licence.

From what I saw the Star Destroyer is the only thing of interest to me. It looks really nice. Would be cool if they do a Blocade Runner as well - maybe with moving radar dish. The TIE and X-Wing look a bit toyish and the figures of Vader and the droids are not well done IMHO. They remind me of Hasbro toys.

It would be a pity if Fine Mold will not keep the licence as well. I still hope for a 1:72 A-Wing and B-Wing (would make a nice set as well). And maybe an AT-AT and Tyridium, though the AMT kit is quite OK.

Rene

There is a blockade runner model available now. Its not a kit but an assembled and painted wargame model in about 1/500th scale(about 330mm long) from Fantasy Flight Games. Although pricy(rrp is £75 in the UK) there are a number of counters and cards for the game which could be sold to gamers as spares. The sensor dish and large turrets rotate.

The company also does the rebel transport from Empire Strikes Back in about the same scale and fighters, Millennium Falcon and Slave 1 at 1/270th scale.

One of the cheaper retailers for this range in the UK is -
http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/

If you want a screen accurate one, just pick up an old AMT X Wing kit from eBay. The Finemolds one will be nicer though...

Anthony.

Cheers; it's good to have the option, and either is probably better than the Revell easy-kit I spotted in Hobbycraft.

Ross.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the link and I must say they look awesome.

I wonder if they will show these off at Telford ?

Bandai don't seem to send their kits over to Britain, they do sell some of their toys here but the kits supply is very irregular. Most of my of my Bandai kits came direct from Japan because I couldn't find a source in the UK. Maybe they'll send some over due them being Star Wars but I'd be surprised!

Paul Harrison

• Like 1

Bandai don't seem to send their kits over to Britain, they do sell some of their toys here but the kits supply is very irregular. Most of my of my Bandai kits came direct from Japan because I couldn't find a source in the UK. Maybe they'll send some over due them being Star Wars but I'd be surprised!

Paul Harrison

Well that's a jip, still I would think you'd get them on evil bay but thanks for the info appreciate it :)

The FM kits were never readily available in the UK and when you could find them the 1/72 kits of the X-Wing & TIE were about £30.

If you ordered them from Japan singularly they worked out at about £15 delivered if you used SAL shipping. If you ordered more than one at a time you ran the risk of getting caught by HMRC for tax plus RMs £8 'handling fee'.

If Bandai price them in a similar way I will keep doing that.

Cheers,

Warren

Saw some good news today. The Bandai 1/72nd X-Wing & TIE Advanced plus the 1/12th Darth Vader & Stormtrooper are up for pre-order at HLJ for £10.81 each! Pre-order saving of 20%. A LOT cheaper than I thought they'd be.

Paul Harrison

Just had a look myself, very nice and good news that they aardvark similar price to the FM kits.

Cheers,

Warren

Edit: Just ordered a couple each of the X-Wing and TIE!!

• Like 1

Paul Harrison

I guess the reason they are not imported on a wholesale scale is Bandai's license is for Japan and the far East and Revell have the European license.

Marty...