F-89D/J Scorpion Cockpit, Canopy and Seats for Revell Kit - 1:72 Pavla

F-89D/J Scorpion Cockpit, Canopy and Seats for Revell Kit

1:72 Pavla

F-89%201.JPG

Revells F-89 kit has been around now since the early 1990s and is a great kit. Like many kits the cockpit and seats are limited by injection moulding in this scale.

F-89%202.JPG

This resin cockpit is designed to replace the original kit item in its entirety. The set is comprised of a cockpit tub, complete with sidewalls and consoles, replacement ejection seats, front & rear instrument panels, control column, rudder pedals and the coamings for the cockpit sides.

All of the resin parts are nicely cast and crisply detailed, and there are no bubbles or casting flaws in evidence. The control and instrument details are nicely rendered, and the straps on the ejection seats are very realistically done. Different foot pans are provided for both the pilots and observers seats. Vac form clear parts are provided with a complete canopy, and the clear screen to cover the observer.

bin.jpg

If you don't fancy shelling out on the whole cockpit, you can always opt to buy the seats on there own. They are great items and if you intend to leave the cockpit canopy closed, it will probably be enough.

bin.jpg

If you just wish to buy the clear and thin vac canopy then Pavla also offer this as stand alone item.

bin.jpg

Conclusion

The Revell kit is a great kit, but the cockpit can be a little lacking. Whether you just want a nice pair of detailed seats, or want to go the whole hog with the full cockpit set, these details from Pavla will enhance your kit. Highly recommended.

Review samples courtesy of logo.gif

• Thanks 1

Did not the Hobbycraft kits have decent cockpit? I know it the only company you could get an 'A' model of the scorpion

Looked OK to me.........

Scorpion_001.jpg

Mind you, I was happy enough with the Revell 'D'......

Scorpion_002.jpg

.... and Academy 'J' for that matter.....

Scorpion_003.jpg

Ken

• Like 3

You have a thing for the Scorpion. Am I right?

Tom.

It wasn't always so - I'm a Flanker man at heart really - but I've always had a soft sport for the Scorpion - because of its shape and colourful markings.

I purchased the Revell F-89D 'cos it was the most colourful - then I did the Hobbycraft F-89A 'cos it was in complete contrast and cannon-armed.

That was enough really - then I spotted that the Academy F-89J was an ADC Gray machine - so again a bit different.

With three built I decided that was enough ..........

Scorpion_013.jpg

Then I spotted that Hobbycraft do an F-89B with decals for a gorgeous machine with yellow stars on a black nose, tanks and tail - so I sent off for it.

I also bought another Revell F-89D/J - intending to convert it into an F-89H - with the Falcon missiles deployed from the tip tanks.

But I have just spotted that Hobbycraft also do an F-89H proper - so I've sent off for that as well.

What started as a short 'time-out' excursion from making Flankers has ended up as a Scorpion obsession :analintruder:

BEWARE THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE!!!

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 2

Ken,

I think they look absolutely superb. And why not be obsessed. I am kind of obsessed with buying aftermarket bits and old kits that I may never build.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

A totally pointless exercise in getting modellers to part with their hard earned cash for little reason. As has been said, the standard cockpit is good enough, especially in this scale...

Paul, that is you opinion and you are welcome to it. A lot of modellers like these sets and buy them otherwise Pavala would be out of business.

Julien

Paul, that is you opinion and you are welcome to it. A lot of modellers like these sets and buy them otherwise Pavala would be out of business.

Julien

And I agree, having used resin cockpits and other stuff, where required, especially in larger scales where extra detail is needed, but I see no point whatsoever in adding minute details to a tiny cockpit, that is pretty dark anyway.

If you want to waste you hard earned cash then who am I to stop you.

• Julien locked this topic