Messerschmitt Me 262 V1 High Planes 1/72 plastic

This is the prototype of the Me 262. It first flew with just the piston engine. After a few flights to establish its handling and performance it was fitted with BMW jets. On its first flight with these both engines failed on climbout, losing all their turbine blades! A satisfactory landing was made and the engines sent back to BMW to think again. The aircraft was re-engined with Junkers Jumo engines.

The kit has a ‘health warning’ on the box saying that it is for experienced modellers only and some cutting ,filling and sanding is required. Substitute ‘much’ for ‘some’ and that sums it up.The final straw was finding that the decals were most reluctant to leave the backing sheet and tended to shatter when they did! They were also most reluctant to stick to the model.

Finish is Alclad Aluminium with odd panels in Dark Aluminium. apparently nobody is too sure about the actual a/c finish. The instuctions suggest different panels in varying colours of silver. I settled for just a couple of shades as the kit illustration make it look a bit like a Zebra. The rear portion of the engines was Alclad Steel.

Any additional information would be welcome, particularly about the propellor.

Either the single piston engined version or the three engined version can be built from this kit.

ME262V1_2014_06_12_02_zpsdc07877b.jpg

ME262V1_2014_06_12_08_zps65c65319.jpg

]ME262V1_2014_06_12_05_zps68d3a966.jpg

ME262V1_2014_06_12_13_zpsac5e46b8.jpg

• Like 17

Well, despite the trials it may have caused you, it looks great. I do like your subtle tonal variation and it makes for a real talking point I'm sure.

• Like 1

John, a fantastic job on this most unusual and fascinating version of the German jet fighter ! It looks terrific and one wonders how it would have developed with more reliable and powerful jets ...... (or , seeing your build, maybe even no jets but an extremely powerful piston engine in the nose driving contra-props !)

Fine work here and very well displayed.

Mike

Thanks for sharing, very nicely done. I never knew a kit of the 262V1 prototype existed.

Duncan B

I never knew about it either until this one turned up on Ebay. Defininitely in the ' must have' category.

Thank you all for the kind words. It actually turned out better than I expected. All sorts of rough bits showed up during finishing and I thought it was going to have to come with a 'never mind the quality feel the interest' tag but despite the silver finish, which normally highlights the rough bits, it doesn't look too bad in the photos.

John

Edited by John R

• 1 year later...