Advice for Doyusha B777 ANA 1/144th scale

Hi guys

Missus bought this kit for me on Ebay arrived today have seen a lot of complaints about Minicraft B777 this kit seems slightly different with three engine types GE P&W RR is it the same mould?

I hope to do EL AL plane any pitfalls with this kit I should know about?

Intend to make this my first WIP any help advice would be greatly appreciated

many thanks

Eamonn

It's not the Minicraft kit, definitely Doyusha's own mould. Think I read that something wasn't quite right somewhere on it but it's a LOT better than Minicraft & Eastern Express kits.

Paul Harrison

It's a much older kit than the Minicraft version. I only built it once and that was probably about 15 years ago. Off the top of my head the main issues were the thick trailing edges, the horrible engines with their solid rear cowlings, the odd-looking main wheels and, bizarrely, the different number of windows on the two fuselage halves. It is not a nice kit to build but outline accuracy is probably a bit better than Minicraft, not that that's really saying much. One oddity is that the method of attaching the engines is almost identical on both kits and in the unlikeIy event that I ever build the Doyusha kit again I'll probably try to get hold of a set of Minicraft engines which are much, much better than the Doyusha ones. I don't know whether to wish you good luck with the WIP or offer you my sympathy but I'll be interested to see how you get on.

Edited by Skodadriver

Thanks Skoda will have to think carefully perhaps Bra.z set of engines maybe a better bet. I have noticed the plastic is very hard the window issue shouldn't be too much of a problem filled in have to see how I go lol

thanks to both of you GreenDragon & yourself for your replies

Hi Eamonn

Don't worry, despite having a few problems it still builds into a pretty good 777, which my pic of a BA build of the Doyusha 777 hopefully shows.

Best of luck with your build.

Tim

B772BA_1-1.jpg

• Like 3

The Doyusha kit came out in 1996. The Minicraft kit came out in 1999. When the Chinese tooling shop sent the 150% scale (i.e.: 1/96) resin master, all they had done as make a virtual 1:1 copy the Doyusha kit, with engine changes per my drawings (which they screwed up royally). The master even included the same silly joining pegs that the Doyusha kit has, and the same funky landing gear legs. Al Trendle (then owner of Minicraft) flew me to LA to go over it and recommend changes, which I did. Sadly, the tooling shop really had no clue what they were doing, and not only didn't make most of the changes I recommended, but they introduced even more errors into the kit when they actually tooled it. The result is the Minicraft mess we still have today. Had they followed the instructions and drawings given them, the kit *could* have more closely resembled the type of kit the Minicraft DC-8 is than the heavy handed clunker it is. Mr. Trendle's ideas of quality and mine were *very* different, and he was overjoyed with the resulting kit.

J

• 2 weeks later...