Airfix/Sword Lightning length issues?

Stuart Wilson

Why does someone posting a legitimate question about the scale fidelity of a scale model kit on a scale modeling forum evoke "can of worms" responses?

I just don't get it. What's the point of the forum if not that? Otherwise we should rename it "Everything's Rosy All The Time" forum.

Just a bit of fun isnt it, For me nowt wrong with accuracy issues being spotted or dealt with, or building a model as is for the joy of it. Its all good. But the can of worms I think relates more to the fact there are likely to be a few who throw their toys out the pram get a bit hot under the collar and say something along the lines of "The kit has one rivet missing and is therefore unbuildable" ahahah. Entertainment central

• Like 3

Hello,

If life was that easy... Found some time and when taking the fuselage length from the picture I posted earlier today and take a look at the Sword and Airfix kits then something is completely wrong - both kits seem far to long.

Dug around in the AP and found another picture contracticting the earlier one: At 29.3 feet from the aircraft's C.G. there is the C.G. of the afterburners.

F6_CG_Engines_zpsc597d662.jpg

So even the official documents have their flaws and now I try with canberra kid's posted 50 feet to get something useful....

Regards,

Martin

The photo below is of all the 1/72 scale Lightning kits I have compared with the lengths as indicated in the official information. The two red lines are at 50 feet the green line is at 55' 3" the lengths with and without the pitot. Even allowing for the nose ring and jet pipes they all look well short! Having said that they (even the Tumpy) look like Lightnings to me. :blink:

SAM_1212a_zps2de934d2.jpg

John

The photo below is of all the 1/72 scale Lightning kits I have compared with the lengths as indicated in the official information. The two red lines are at 50 feet the green line is at 55' 3" the lengths with and without the pitot. Even allowing for the nose ring and jet pipes they all look well short! Having said that they (even the Tumpy) look like Lightnings to me. :blink:

John

I would have thought the nose ring to be very important to the length comparisons shown in the above pic. The Trump and Airfix ones in particular as the rings are separate parts as is well known

something fundamental is going on, but what?

John

Published dimensions being misinterpreted or just wrong dimensions perhaps?

I'm possibly going out on an irrelevant limb now and I know that my comments refer to another a/c type but....I remember the Boeing 737 course which I attended back in 1980 told us that quoted dimensions for fuselage frames referenced from a point in space ahead of the a/c structure. Apparently this gave leeway for adding bits ahead of the then current forward most point of the structure and retain correctness of published dimensions for the fuselage frames. As I say though, maybe the Lightning wasn't privy to that system.

Wouldn't the 50 feet be measured not only with the nose ring, but also with the radome, I wonder ? The CG diagram has ca. 14.5 before and 29.2 behind the CG, which still isn't quite 44, but then the rearmost point of the airframe look to be the tailplane tips, from one of the diagrams, so we may be inching up slowly. The "other " CG diagram has around the same measurement, but for the burner CG, which is substantially further forward. If the latter is true and there are around 4 feet "missing" at the back, and adding around 2 feet for the radome, then we'd arrive in the 50 region.

The Trumpeter kit looks rather pregnant, but certainly this has been noted before.

Edited by tempestfan

I will check the matchbox kit against scaled down Echelon 1/32 plans, these are reputed to be the most accurate around. The Matchbox kit only, as it's the only one I have in the stash at the moment. Will have to be in a few days though.

Oh, the Matchbox kit and the Aeroclub vacform T.5 conversion too...

I guess I'm missing something. John Aero, in post 73, stated that the length from "top of the nose ring to the end of the jet pipes should measure 47' 6" (IIRC)." Why are we comparing to 50'?

Dazed, confused, and needing education,

Bill

• Like 2

Because that is the overall length that has been quoted (without pitot) - but that would include the radome, I guess, and perhaps a tiny overhang of the tailplanes. 2' 6" for the radome sounds plausible, even though the CG diagram has the nose ring perpendicular at something like 14' 6" but quotes length from CG to radome tip as 18'06, which would look around a foot too much.

Because that is the overall length that has been quoted (without pitot) - but that would include the radome, I guess, and perhaps a tiny overhang of the tailplanes. 2' 6" for the radome sounds plausible, even though the CG diagram has the nose ring perpendicular at something like 14' 6" but quotes length from CG to radome tip as 18'06, which would look around a foot too much.

The Canberra Kid's comparison photos of all of the fuselages do not include the radome. Shouldn't the lines therefore be set at a scale 47' 6"? The fuselages wouldn't all look so short... :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Wouldn't the 50 feet be measured not only with the nose ring, but also with the radome, I wonder ? The CG diagram has ca. 14.5 before and 29.2 behind the CG, which still isn't quite 44, but then the rearmost point of the airframe look to be the tailplane tips, from one of the diagrams, so we may be inching up slowly. The "other " CG diagram has around the same measurement, but for the burner CG, which is substantially further forward. If the latter is true and there are around 4 feet "missing" at the back, and adding around 2 feet for the radome, then we'd arrive in the 50 region.

The Trumpeter kit looks rather pregnant, but certainly this has been noted before.

Good call! I've just measured the the old Airfix kit and it comes in at around 1'3" short so near enough for government work I'd say.

SAM_1215_zps30539f0f.jpg

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

sorry for my late post … This thread is very interesting and with all the contributions about dimensions I thought it a good idea to look for long lense sideview photos and compare them to the dimensions now known. Frame 25, the fuselage separation, gives a good starting point about the proportions of the aircraft.

Enclosed are two pictures showing them scaled to 1/72 and with the relevant dimensions drawn on, so everyone can used them for his/her own conclusions. The other pictures show the Airfix and Sword kits on these pictures.

The panel lines indicating frame 25 seem a little bit away on both. So I concentrated to align the kit fuselages to the cockpit sections.

The Airfix kit aligns almost perfect in length and proportions concerning cockpit, air intake ring, intake cone, placement of the front landing gear and everything else.

The Sword kit is about 4mm short in overall length. Taking the cockpit as a starting point the addition of an additional intake ring as reported elsewhere in this thread and a slight relocation of the front landing gear and bay about 2.5mm forward seems the easiest way to correct most of this.

My conclusion:

I’m happy to have both kits and correcting Sword’s length issue is not beyond my modeling skills. I remember my disappointment when Italeri issued their Mirage 2000 kits in 1/72. Their fuselage is far too long (the length of the pitot is added), the model looks no way like the real bird and there is no decent chance for correction. At least the Sword kit can be improved like suggested above.

Regards,

Martin

Lightning_Side_01_zps3726ae8e.jpg

Lightning_Side_02_zps740112d2.jpg

Airfix_1_zpsef40af41.jpg

Airfix_2_zps910786ac.jpg

Sword_2_zpse77e6f0a.jpg

Sword_1_zpsa6f43de6.jpg

Airfix_Sword_zps62139908.jpg

• Like 4

Hello,

sorry for my late post … This thread is very interesting and with all the contributions about dimensions I thought it a good idea to look for long lense sideview photos and compare them to the dimensions now known. Frame 25, the fuselage separation, gives a good starting point about the proportions of the aircraft.

Enclosed are two pictures showing them scaled to 1/72 and with the relevant dimensions drawn on, so everyone can used them for his/her own conclusions. The other pictures show the Airfix and Sword kits on these pictures.

The panel lines indicating frame 25 seem a little bit away on both. So I concentrated to align the kit fuselages to the cockpit sections.

The Airfix kit aligns almost perfect in length and proportions concerning cockpit, air intake ring, intake cone, placement of the front landing gear and everything else.

The Sword kit is about 4mm short in overall length. Taking the cockpit as a starting point the addition of an additional intake ring as reported elsewhere in this thread and a slight relocation of the front landing gear and bay about 2.5mm forward seems the easiest way to correct most of this.

My conclusion:

I’m happy to have both kits and correcting Sword’s length issue is not beyond my modeling skills. I remember my disappointment when Italeri issued their Mirage 2000 kits in 1/72. Their fuselage is far too long (the length of the pitot is added), the model looks no way like the real bird and there is no decent chance for correction. At least the Sword kit can be improved like suggested above.

Regards,

Martin

Lightning_Side_01_zps3726ae8e.jpg

Lightning_Side_02_zps740112d2.jpg

Airfix_1_zpsef40af41.jpg

Airfix_2_zps910786ac.jpg

Sword_2_zpse77e6f0a.jpg

Sword_1_zpsa6f43de6.jpg

Airfix_Sword_zps62139908.jpg

Cracking bit of research there Martin, nice one.

Nige B

• Like 1

John

Seriously.

You are all mixing up metric and imperial dims. This country measurement system is metric. Work in metric and all will be right.

Marty...

• Like 1

Seriously.

You are all mixing up metric and imperial dims. This country measurement system is metric. Work in metric and all will be right.

Marty...

True but the Lightning was built in Imperial and all the AP's are also Imperial so that's what I use I can't help it I too old/lazy to do otherwise :)

John

• Like 1