GB Chat

Just had the Afterburner decal sheet out and I have a major problem...

Which ones to do! 14 schemes...

:Tasty:

well you may have to go out and buy some more F-5's so you can use up all your decals....though you do have a few already!

Would it be silly for me to ask that you rather like the F-5's???

• Like 1

well you may have to go out and buy some more F-5's so you can use up all your decals....though you do have a few already!

Would it be silly for me to ask that you rather like the F-5's???

In a word....yeah!

It will be interesting to see between you and Enzo who will produce the most F-5's!

Acksherly, I'm only looking to build three for this GB. An F-5C, a lizard F-5E and a ghost F-5E. But I will admit to be teetering on the edge as there are so many nice schemes available. :frantic:

• Like 2

Acksherly, I'm only looking to build three for this GB. An F-5C, a lizard F-5E and a ghost F-5E. But I will admit to be teetering on the edge as there are so many nice schemes available. :frantic:

you and Andy know you want too!!! :wicked:

• Like 2

Common Enzo!!! You know you want to do more than three!!! Hehehe

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 2

So many fabulous Group Builds at the moment which exactly match my enthusiasm for jet aircraft of the 50's and 60's! Vietnam War, Gloster Meteor, and now this F-5 GB. Not to mention KUTA where I get to finish what I started in a burst of enthusiasm.

Must take a look in the stash...

All in 1/48th:- the old Monogram F-5F and the more recent Revell F-5F 'Aggressor' with the VFC-111 markings as well as the Royal Thai AF. A Revell F-5E 'Tiger II' which I think was Swiss markings. Also a Classic Airframes F-5B which IIRC had decals for a Luke AFB based Freedom Fighter with yellow markings. Add to that a couple of the Kinetic F-5A kits which have a superb set of decals. Also the recent Trumpeter T-38C Talon II. Six kits says has got a soft spot for Northrop's N156 it seems :)

Very tempted, however my GB record to date is 100% non-completion :( going to give it a think.

Michael

Well the wasn't in the Current GB thread yesterday, good old :D Mish strikes again...thank you Mish.

The rules are up.

And again in case anyone has forgotten we have a wonderful sponsor for this GB who have graciously provided prizes for the top models of the build.

So can everyone please show their thanks by paying a visit to their site via the linked logo below.

HI-Decal_Logo_zpskbyavldf.jpg

It's so nice when something like this happens and a great chance to show case the models that are being built on Britmodeller.

So only a few days left to go to finalise your builds...I know mine is still in the mail! Plus it's nice to see some threads up so early.

So welcome everybody.

• Like 2

Are the raised panel lines italeri and the unbuildabe Airfix the only options for a normal f5 in 1/72?

The Hobby Boss kit is "based" on the Italeri kit but has engraved panel lines. Looks like a really nice kit.

Edit: The HB kit is an F-5E.

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Are the raised panel lines italeri and the unbuildabe Airfix the only options for a normal f5 in 1/72?

The best option to build an F-5A (or B) in 1/72nd scale is the ESCI/Italeri/ Wolfpack offering. The kit has engraved panel lines and is very good despite his age. The other alternatives are the really old Airfix and even older Hasegawa (Frog).

As far as the F-5E is concerned, the HB is the best available option, the Italeri/Testors/Revell kit being similar but with raised panel lines.

Unfortunately, the Italeri F-5F is a collector item, showing sporadically on e-bay at rather high prices...

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego

On the subject of the best 1/72 F-5E, my vote still goes to the Italeri kit. Yes, it has raised panel lines and some of these are not easy to rescribe, however the kit fits pretty well and it's accurate. This kit was first issued as an early variant, later rereleases were modified with the shark-nose and the extended LERX

The Hobbyboss (first issued as MiniHobby or something similar years ago) is indeed "inspired" by the Italeri one, although with a different parts payout (wings are separate and not part of the fuselage as in the Italian kit) however whoever did the cloning lost the shape of the windscreen in the process. As a result the windscreen in the chinese kit is much too short, something that IMHO shows quite a lot on the completed model. The recessed panel lines on this kit are not what we've come to expect from HB but much wider and softer. A vacform canopy would make this kit much more attractive, however I don't know of any similar product