GB Chat

WOOHOOO!! :yahoo:

Here we go then, only 18 months till kick off!

Should be enough time to decided on a build and clear the bench of other projects! :whistle:

As mentioned this STGB will be open to;

F-5A/B/C Freedom Fighter’s,

F-5E/F Tiger II’s

T-38 Talon's

plus just because they're odd/unusual the F-20 Tigershark, X-29, and HESA Saeqeh, these will need to be in actual colour schemes, no wiffy's. So if you have a photo of them in cool camo ok, other wise they have to be in their original demo schemes.

There should be enough variety in the first three groups to produce a wonderful variety of aircraft.

So put you're thinking caps or or get out your favorite scheme and let us know your intentions.

Me....... 1/48 Kinetic F-5A in South Vietnamese AF colours.

Plus does anyone know about the Tiger Hobbies 1/48 F-5A model? Sounds interesting and would like to know others opinions on it.

Anyway welcome aboard all those who follow!

• Like 1

Hmmm I have got a Classic Airframes one and the Kinetic. I have just finished a Kinetic A-6E intruder and I was not a happy bunny about that kit, so maybee I will go for the Classic one. O, both are NF-5A's and I think they will go in Dutch colours.

Cheers,

Hmmm I have got a Classic Airframes one and the Kinetic. I have just finished a Kinetic A-6E intruder and I was not a happy bunny about that kit, so maybee I will go for the Classic one. O, both are NF-5A's and I think they will go in Dutch colours.

Cheers,

The CA kit was not one of their best efforts really, personally I'd go with kinetik for the F-5. There was a great build in an old issue of MAM, think 2008 or so, and the corrections required were several. Of course judging from your other models these will be easy for you, but I feel that for the price CA should have offered something better

As a 1/72 modeller I'm lucky as the old Esci kits are still very nice ! Pity that the single seater is not too easy to find, the two-seater can be easily found in the more recent Italeri box.

• Like 1

I think Arnold is a brave man than I wanting to take on a CA model.......though I have to admit I have a couple waiting to be built! But you're right, we've seen what Arnold can do so no doubt he can whip a CA model into shape.

Was just thinking it would be nice for this build if we could cover a range of users of this aircraft...there is no requirement at all to have to choose a particular user, but there are some interesting users of this aircraft. As mention for me it will be a South Vietnamese F-5A.

Austria

Bahrain

Botswana

Brazil

Canada

Chile

Ethiopia

Greece

Honduras

Indonesia

Iran

Jordan

Kenya

Morocco

Malaysia

Netherlands

Norway

Philippines

Saudi Arabia

Singapore

South Vietnam

Spain

Sudan

Switzerland

Republic of Taiwan

Thailand

Tunisia

Turkey

Soviet Union (captured evaluation aircraft)

United States

Venezuela

Vietnam

Yemen

• Like 1

Of the F-5 kits I have in the stash, I have already "planned" these: a Turkish F-5B, a Maroccan F-5E and a Tunisia F-5E.

I have another B in the stash (the infamous hasegawa 1/72 T-38...) but have yet to decide the markings for this, maybe Venezuela. Should I find another A I'd love to build a Botswana CF-5 !!

Considering how slow I am at the moment with my hobby, there's a good chance that most of these will still be in the stash when this GB starts.....

Edit: I shouldn't have forgotten that I also have a Sword T-38C in the stash....

Edited by Giorgio N

hmmm you sure you're not related to Enzo?

Thats an awful lot of F-5's to build, but love you're choices, hopefully you can build them all!

Nah, there's a big difference between Enzo and me: he actually completes the models he starts ! Me, I start plenty and complete nothing... :(

Not to single anybody out, but this might get the old anticipatory juices flowing (that sounded dirtier than I meant!)

bob

Beautiful ! The NASA T-38s are a great subject, the importance of the small Northrop trainer in the US space program has been huge.

And speaking of historical significance of the Talon, we should not forget that the T-38 was the first aggressor ! The F-5s may have been used in larger number, but in the beginning both the USAF and the USN Top Gun school used the Talon

• 2 weeks later...

Ah... finally found this thread!

F-5s: one of my 'favourite dozen' of jet fighter types ('right after' F-14s, MiG-25s, F-4s, MiG-17s...etc).

Anyway, if one is searching for some 'eye catching-stories', here frew ideas:

- South Vietnamese F-5A in ex-IIAF or ex-ROKAF colours

- Iranian F-5A (or F-5B?) in (in chronologcial order of service entry!) ex-IIAF, ex-VNAF (South Vietnam, and including bolt-on armour plates added below the cockpit and engines!), ex-.... something else (can't recall if Thailand, South Korea or Philippines) colours

- Ethiopian F-5A in ex-IIAF or Iranian F-5A in ex-Ethiopian colours...

- ex-South Vietnamese, cum 'Vietnamese' (including communists) F-5E, bought up by Iranians and re-built into Azaraksh...

- or, 'simply', a Greek F-5B in ex-IIAF, ex-RJAF colours (and, partially still visible: markings!)

Or, for those that like 'flashy' stuff:

- Ethiopian F-5E with six blue stars (for six kills scored against Somali MiGs, during Ogaden War)... and modified to accept MiG-21-hardpoints and UB-16-57 rocket pods...

- Ever heard of 'Kowsar-88'? No? No surprise: that's a two-seat variant of the Saeqeh (Iranian twin-tailed F-5E), in the process of being constructed by the IACI (and that from an ex-Vietnamese F-5E!), with first flight expected late this, or early the next year... painted in USN's Blue Angles style, baby... ;-)

Whatever you decide: if anybody needs any related tips, references etc., let me know.

Maintenance instruction: as a hardcore fanatic of 'action and combat' topics, me have no clue about NATO and allied air forces. My choices are thus heavily biased (as obvious from above), but I offer a guarantee of fun and 'exotic' topics. :P

arrr good to see you here Tom.

I expect we'll have you just as busy as you were with the MiG-21 STGB.

All the ones you mentioned sounded very interesting, with luck we'll have some really interesting build for this one.

Looking forward to this. Have a Leading Edge decal set with RCAF camo F-5s(see here: http://lemdecal.com), A couple good refs with lots of colour pics, World Air Power Vol.25/Summer 1996, and one of those small landscape colour albums by Motorbooks or someone with very nice colour pics and inspiration. Oh, I nearlyforgot,... three ESCI kits to do!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Beautiful ! The NASA T-38s are a great subject, the importance of the small Northrop trainer in the US space program has been huge.

And speaking of historical significance of the Talon, we should not forget that the T-38 was the first aggressor ! The F-5s may have been used in larger number, but in the beginning both the USAF and the USN Top Gun school used the Talon

Ok, quoting myself may not be very usual, but this sentence from a few months ago explains why a couple of days ago I immediately grabbed a Wolfpack NASA Talon from the shelves of a well known North London shop... beautiful kit this one !

On the same shelves was a way worse Minihobby 1/72 F-5E, that too came back with me in Italy. Last but not least, in the meantime an Italeri box of the 1/72 Esci F-5B was bought from a fellow Britmodeller so that in a week or so the number of F-5/T-38 kits in my stash went from 5 to 8..

Edited by Giorgio N