1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Tr.8/.9 & Mk.IX UTI by AZmodel - released

Homebee

Yup, I built the Brigade Model conversion with the Italeri Mk IX. It wasn't too bad to be fair - the fit of fuselage with the wings is quite decent. Trickier is to get the Italeri interior (one of the kits redeeming aspects) to fit in the conversion fuselage. I also used a few QuickBoost items (exhausts, prop) to improve the model. The most troublesome area is the fit of the rear cockpit, it's absolutely atrocious.

I'd share pic but it's in storage :(

I've an unfinished one somewhere, although I used the wings from the Airfix IXc. Can't abide the Italeri abortion.

For anyone who wants to do ML407 (which is something quite a few people might want to do I suppose) it would be easier to start with the ordinary T.9 kit than the UTI kit. Rather than move both cockpit openings and all the internals, all you have to do is come up with a spare 'standard' sliding canopy section from a vac--form set, and crash-mould a longer version of the central see-through tunnel.

Grr, now that's three of these kits I have to buy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Good to see this back - have just built one! The fuselage is much better than the wings and the wing-fuse joint is excellent and the canopies fit pretty well  - nice cockpit detail for both pits too! The carb scoop to fuse joint fit rubbish though. Wheelwells nice, better off filling the cannon ports in the wing with sprue and sanding back. Prop very nice. The attachment of the U/C legs is fiddly and very fragile mind.

I posted ages ago with the two-seaters doing a roaring trade that someone needed to chuck a twin tub out in Boultbee/Aero Legends/ Classic Wings/ Ultimate Warbirds markings and lo and behold....Airfix you were missing a trick...I did tell ya...!

Well done AZ

TT

• Like 1

I've built the IAC/IAF issue.  I agree that the carb intake doesn't fit and the u/c is fragile. It is a bit of a fussy build but I suppose it's not Airfix or Revell. More serious to me is that the IAC decals are all wrong in both style and sizes and effectively useless as a result. I ended up using a combination of spares from Max Decals and the (excellent) leftovers from the Brigade conversion that I built concurrently. (That gives both early and late schemes). Then when all was finished and it took it's place amongst my other Spitfire models it looks obviously underscale. Even next to the 70s/80s Airfix Mk1 it looks "compact". I'll throw some photos up at the weekend. 

• Like 1

Well I built the Dutch Tr.9 it assembled easily if not quite Eduard easy and it sits happily alongside 1/72 Spitfires by Airfix, AZ, KP, Eduard and even Frog.  I’d happily build the warbird boxing except I have enough Spitfire kits to build for at least the next five years!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...