1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Tr.8/.9 & Mk.IX UTI by AZmodel - released

Homebee

AZ Model is to release 1/72nd Supermarine Spitfire Tr.8/.9.

- Ref. AZ7478 - Supermarine Spitfire Tr.8

Source: http://www.azmodel.cz/product_info.php?products_id=741

353485-15526-30-pristine.jpg

AZ7478-camo.jpg

- Ref. AZ7479 - Supermarine Spitfire Tr.9 In Dutch service

Source: http://www.azmodel.cz/product_info.php?products_id=742

353487-15526-86-pristine.jpg

AZ7479-camo.jpg

- Ref. AZ7480 - Supermarine Spitfire Tr.9 IAC & RIAF

Source: http://www.azmodel.cz/product_info.php?products_id=743

353486-15526-87-pristine.jpg

AZ7480-camo.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

Brilliant news, especially the three civilian schemes for G-AIDN / MT818, which is a legendary and lovely aeroplane - a vivid fixture on the south coast flying club scene in the '50s and early '60s. when post-war austerity was still very much a reality.

Oh dear. I can see Wor Lass and my wallet being very unhappy about this.

It's also ironic it gets released after I've spent the past few years acquiring several Brigade and the (very rough but buildable) M&E conversion. Still, they were intended for whiffing anyway...

• Like 1

Oh at last! When are they to be released?

I have a real problem though. I dont know wether to get the Dutch version or G-AIDN... Or both...

Ben

Get both, Ben. You know it makes sense.

And then, just for the sake of completeness, get the Irish one as well.

• Like 1

Lovely, but I hope the kit of the TR8 is more accurate than the box art. This shows:

- Long ailerons of Mk 1X

- All gun access panels etc for 'c' wing

- Small elevators more appropriate to a V or very early 1X

- Rear cockpit not really 'humped' enough, though the box art looks much better

- For all-yellow scheme there should be a small, but noticeable, white circle with a red cross (presumably first aid kit) halfway down the starboard rear fuselage.

None are beyond correction, and I am more than grateful to AZ for a kit of this subject: something I thought I would never see.

That's really great for those of us interested in the Irish Air Corps. We can finally put those old Brigade Models conversion kits onto e-bay, or in club sales. Those conversion kits required an accurate donor kit - a Mk IX. Many tried with the Italeri kit - you can imagine the modeling skills required, folks!.

All that will now be no longer necessary - thanks AZ!!

Philip

That's really great for those of us interested in the Irish Air Corps. We can finally put those old Brigade Models conversion kits onto e-bay, or in club sales. Those conversion kits required an accurate donor kit - a Mk IX. Many tried with the Italeri kit - you can imagine the modeling skills required, folks!.

All that will now be no longer necessary - thanks AZ!!

Philip

Yup, I built the Brigade Model conversion with the Italeri Mk IX. It wasn't too bad to be fair - the fit of fuselage with the wings is quite decent. Trickier is to get the Italeri interior (one of the kits redeeming aspects) to fit in the conversion fuselage. I also used a few QuickBoost items (exhausts, prop) to improve the model. The most troublesome area is the fit of the rear cockpit, it's absolutely atrocious.

I'd share pic but it's in storage :(

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 1

Re DOSAAF - wonderful if you believe it. OK, rather nice anyway. The only photo I've ever seen is the overall dark colour one.

The Italeri Mk.IX nose, being too short for a Mk.IX and too long for a Mk.V, does give you a good starting point for a Mk.III. You still need a Mk.V oil cooler for one wing.

The Russian UTI can always be finished as ML407 as it is now owned by Carolyn Grace! Its in the right configuration!!

Re the T8/9 kits note in picture 2 and then 3 the ejector pin on the iside of the port fuselage half behind the rear cockpit(Picture2) Then look carefully at picture 3 the lug protrudes through the fuselage slightly still behind the rear cockpit opening along a panel line and aft the cockpit fairing area!! I noticed this on my kits I recieved recently Not a major drama and easily removed but a moulding fault nevertheless!!!

The UTI is not the same configuration as ML407. The UTI has the front cockpit in the standard single-seater position and the rear cockpit further aft than on ML407. Although ML407 has modifications to lower the line of the rear canopy, in other respects it is a proper Spitfire Trainer with both cockpits further forward than on the UTI.

• Like 1