Airfix C-47 from Upottery Over Dropzone

Here are some pics of the construction so far P1000276.jpg

The wings have been assembled including the wing spar. A word of warning ,the plastic reacts quickly with Revell Contacta glue . I realised this when i noticed dissolved grey plastic building up on the end of the glue applicator . When moving parts into final position the disolved plastic can be shunted and cause a build up where its not wanted. if you combine this with the very close tolerances in the fit ,it is easy to manufacture your own gaps.

the cockpit has some good detail and nice fine parts

P1000277.jpg

P1000274.jpg. The pilots will need some work . I will be leaving cockpit OOB as very little will be seen.

The doors have a loose fit . I will add some putty from inside to stop light showing through.

P1000278.jpg

P1000275.jpg

Forward door is a tight fit. P1000274-Copy.jpg

Now i do need to get the painting started . Interior green for the cockpit and cargo bay seem to be the order of the day. I have some Humbrol interior green that i used on a Spifire but not sure if the Americans used a different I / green

• Like 2

Now i do need to get the painting started . Interior green for the cockpit and cargo bay seem to be the order of the day. I have some Humbrol interior green that i used on a Spifire but not sure if the Americans used a different I / green

Different green, they used a darker - more foresty green

• Like 1

The Humbrol equivalent for US interior green is 226 while that for RAF interior grey green is 78 if that's any use?

stever219 Thank you ,that is just what i needed to know. Looking at the tin it was 78 that i used on my Spit.

The anti-gravity system has now been completed and i must say its dangerous stuff to playaround with one slip and the man cave can be turned inside out . The first mistake i had made was to fix one of the anti gravity devises upside down causing one side of the aircraft to want to flipover to land on the other :(

Some careful positioning useing a large amount of bluetack and the second test was a sucsess. For acrylic read PERSPEX

P1000293.jpg

The supports are made from 5mm acrylic rod ,each of 30cm to provide plenty of height above the dropzone.

The next picture shows the rods fixed into the acrylic base made from 10mm sheet.

P1000295.jpg

My tin of Humbrol226 has arived and also some volunteers from Sgt Squareheads private army (thank you Andy for helping out ) The next job will be lots of limb twisting and amputations to get them looking something like this

Airbornetroopsinlinetojump20136-6.jpg

It seems that a formalised position in the aircraft was adopted before jumping with the left hand holding the static line.

Edited by Mottlemaster
  • Like 2

Thank you PlaStix , Nick and Tom for your comments :thumbsup:

The next chapter.

Disco Dancing D Day over the Dropzone.

My first attempts at trying ta modify the soft plastic soldiers has been a steep lerning curve . You cannot file and sand , well i cant , the soft plastic , it needs to be carved like wood . Neither the Italeri or Revell set have any men in the getting ready to jump position. Two of the Italeri set have men with their parashhots on so this has given me a guide as how to make some out of milliput.

P1000285.jpg

P1000286.jpg

This was the first simple conversion , only removeing guns and adding the two shoots.

Still iv managed to get one with their left arm in the air

Next more advanced mutilation by altering limb position . Where limbs are removed i reatach new one with help of brass tube pins.

P1000288.jpg

I came to the realisation that my conversions had created a group of Disco dancing Airborne rather than trained killers.

P1000290.jpg

The white bobject in the centre of the dancing men is a perfect 1/72 scale handbag .

now going to crack on with some of the Revell green men and get the dance feaver going .

• Like 6

Excellent. And they are all doing the 'Dad Dance'. My favourite dance move - much to my daughter's disgust.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

Nice work.....With a coat of primer those will look excellent. :thumbsup:

Remember to double check for mould seams at this stage, they will ruin the finish if you proceed to painting without eliminating them. Turning and/or tilting the heads is a good way to add just a little more variety to the poses without too much work. A more aggressive option is to swap the torsos and legs around by cutting at the bottom of the jacket. Lead foil from wine bottles is excellent for adding webbing and the like. :nerd:

• Like 1

After dry fitting the seats to the cutaway side of the fuselage i realised that i needed to deatail the back of the seats. A quick google and i found that the box section frame is mounted to the fuselage ribs or what ever they are called. I have made the rib sections out of evergreen plastic strip.

I have applied seat belts all round made of foil tape. Had to do this twice as my first sets didnt overhang the front of the seats enough as plenty of photographs show.

P1000317.jpg

P1000314.jpg

P1000318.jpg

Whent to a great day out at Upottery airfield yesterday and visited the Southwest airfields heritage museum

P1000311.jpg

P1000308.jpg

nice selection of models

Now i have a good refrance for the Airborne kit . The equipment is a lot more compact than i would have thought.

P1000302.jpg

• Like 4

Possibly a bit late, but there is a reasonably good hard plastic US Paratrooper figure in the Italeri 1/72 Waco Hadrian:

http://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/us/michaelscg4preview.htm

The figure isn't suitable for use in the Waco, because he is wearing a parachute.....I'm sure there must be a few Wacos in the various stashes out there, maybe you could place a specific request in the Wanted area? :shrug:

• Like 1

I dont want to think that all the men that i'v put through extreme ' Plastic Surgery ' was for nothing . I still hear their cries at night ! Most of them put forward as volanteers by you Sgt.S :) . I want to get on with the closeing of the sides so now painting the men with the early colour Airborne uniform that will contrast well with the interior green.

Have just finished installing the static line wire made from evergreen strip and stretched sprue . Will post some pics later today .

• Like 1

Will watch this build looks good already

Les

Thanks Les . still along way from the finish ie plenty of time to mess it up .

Two quick progress pics

first showing the wire that the static lines will be attached to . this is made from some evergreen strip and stretched sprue. took the photo before painting so it could be photographed more easily. It probably comes out more at 1/48 or even 1/32 but i want it to be seen clearly wheen the Airborne are queing to jump so have alowed my self lashings of artistic licence.

P1000329.jpgler bos

The second pic shows the first prop blur attached to the propeller hub . Fidly job og cutting the hub in half and sandwhiching the prop blur between

P1000331.jpg

Now to spend some time on painting the cargo

• Like 5

Hi Mottlemaster. This progressing really well. I'm looking forward to seeing the effect you get when it's lit up inside (- no pressure!!)

Can I please ask where you got your prop blurs from? I think I might use one for my Typhoon.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Mottlemaster. This progressing really well. I'm looking forward to seeing the effect you get when it's lit up inside (- no pressure!!)

Can I please ask where you got your prop blurs from? I think I might use one for my Typhoon.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix

I got the Propblurs from http://www.3d-kits.co.uk/online-shop/index.php quite expensive but top quality .

• Like 1