1:35 Scimitar 2 on Salisbury Plain - kitbash/scratchbuild

So after almost 2 and a half months, it is DONE!!!!

DSC_1043.JPG

I started with this lot:

DSC_0723.JPG

DSC_0724.JPG

and with plans I'd created from various research sources

front-and-side.jpg

which turned out to be 8% overscale, and even then the side panels are a little too tall :(

My aim was to build one of these:

DSC00749.jpg

Click here for Technical Data Sheet

This is a new vehicle introduced to Afghanistan in 2011 which is a combination of a Spartan hull with enhanced mine protection and a Scimitar turret. It also incorporates anti-IED ECM gear and of course the bar armour I cherish so much!

The challenge here is that the only Spartan kits in 1:35 are from Accurate Armour and they are of the old version, pre-LEP which upgraded the engine and added extra armour, so there was a LOT of scratch building to be done! I bought the AA Warrior bar armour in the mistaken belief that it would be usable to some extent. Sadly it wasn't directly but the resin brackets, nuts, bolts and connectors came in very useful.

The bar armour is constructed from LOTS of 1.5mm wide, 0.25 mm thick Evergreen strip, with 0.5mm brass rod as the vertical bars.

You can see the WIP thread here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234958222-135-crvt-scimitar-2-scratchkitbash-build/

I had thought I finished it earlier today but forgot the wire cutters and a couple of other small details. In addition, the number plates had to be printed out on decal film and put in place, so once that was done I had to re-photograph the whole thing. Sadly this late in the day the lighting in the conservatory isn't as good as before so I've had to resort to the flash so the lighting isn't perfect in these photos.

DSC_1044.JPG

DSC_1042.JPG

DSC_1045.JPG

DSC_1046.JPG

Phew, that was a bit mammoth! And now for the Buffalo!! Yeah thats going to happen soon...

• Like 5

Kallisti, having watched your WIP, what you have produced here, without a shadow of a doubt is pure excellence, totally awesome. 5*

Lee :)

• 2 weeks later...

That has turned out to look absolutely stunning. My eyes were watering just following your construction of that bar armour.

Are you planning on taking it to any shows? I'd like to see that in person, as it were.

Cheers,

Paul

PS - What is the length of the radio antennas on these?

That camo scheme doesn't exactly work on Salsbury Plain but still a fantastic build! How you had the patience to do the slat i do not know.....

Very funny Tim :)

@Jabberwocky: Not sure what shows I'll be attending for the next couple of months - apart from Smallspace of course, but this one isn't suitable for that show :) Looks like the next scheduled show Farnborough is going to attend as a club will be our own in September! I'm sure there is another one in August we are due to attend. There is Abingdon and Bovington Tank Museum in October. It'll definitely be at Telford in November however.

At a push I could probably bring it along to Smallspace to let you see it in person :)

Really like this, love the base as well, every time I see one of these I think a warrior has shrunk in the wash!

• 1 month later...