HobbyBoss 1/72 A-7D Corsair.

At the RAF Hendon show last month I snagged a Hobbyboss A-7D Corsair to see if I could top that Century Wings diecast version…delusional me…

My eyesight sucks so most of this was attempted with me squinting like Mr Magoo despite an up to date prescription. Mainly out of the box, no after market embellishments aside from seat belts made from 0.4mm masking tape and scratched instruments using plasticard. HobbyBoss do not include a decal or anything for the front office avionics. Which is surprising.

Office decked out with brass wire as ejection handles….

DSC08561.jpg

Painted cockpit but effect looks rough so hoping from afar it won't...…

DSC08576.jpg

Avionics bay

DSC08581.jpg

DSC08579.jpg

Filling wing roots, also seams needed treatment, but nothing too dramatic. Fit was good with this kit…

DSC08586.jpg

Primed and pre-shaded….although I always seem to obscure the pre-shade. I shoot Halfords grey primer through an airbrush but should have polished surface before paint.

DSC08594.jpg

Attempting freehand SEA camo – first timer as ditched the blu tac white worms in this scale so was a little nervous….here goes..

DSC08597.jpg

All three colours down (UK made Humbrol formula..but soon to defect to Gunze)….seems okay to my eye but I’m too fat fingered to get that perfect look that others amazingly achieve around here…

DSC08598.jpg

DSC08600.jpg

Applying post shading filters by adding yellow to primary colours and then white to enhance the centre of randomly selected panels. Spraying at very low psi.

Klear airbrushed for gloss and then polished with micromesh- should have polished before the Klear..live and learn.

DSC08603.jpg

DSC08607.jpg

The boring bits…..spraying the tiny bits…like watching paint dry…

DSC08605.jpg

Since the above sprayed more Klear as surface was not glossy enough…..decals next week and hoping to finish…..

DSC08608.jpg

Thanks

Sanjay..

• Like 4

Thanks all for the encouraging comments and I'll just say don't think just have a go at the freehand camo thing.......this has been the most enjoyable aspect of this build for me.

Decals on….

DSC08613.jpg

Klear coated ready for wash and weathering

DSC08614.jpg

Ordnance, drop tanks painted, varnished after stencils on

DSC08611.jpg

One more…..

DSC08618.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...