24 hour Le Mans racing vanship

Thanks a lot guys. The colour came out better than I first thought in the spray box, I'm quite happy with it. I will use the white stripe decal from the kit over the bonnet, but just because it reminds me of some old Alfa Romeo racers.

In between some work sessions during the day I dived in to my workshop now and then for some small paint jobs. One of the benefits of having my work office at home. I got some detail painting done to the main body. There is some more work remaining before decals, but the worst thing I have left is to fill all those vent louvres with a tiny black shadow, not fun...

VS57.jpg

VS58.jpg

Here is the mighty power unit, or rather the section of it that resides underneath. This is what a full race spec endurance version looks like, built to last at least 24 hours. The only units producing slightly more power to volume/weight ratio is the Grand Prix versions, but they do so at great expense of reliability. The blow up failures are spectacular and not perfectly safe...

VS59.jpg

VS60.jpg

And here is our driver/pilot finished. It's quite unforgiving blowing him up in size in a photo like this, a few times larger than his real size.

VS61.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks a lot Pete!

I got a little bit of weathering and the decals done yesterday and this morning. It's getting closer now and next will be to assemble it all, then I'll probably do a little more weathering. I also need to figure out a display stand. I should really have done that earlier, but I often tend to push that bit away...

VS62.jpg

VS63.jpg

VS64.jpg

• Like 2

Oh the 109 intake works just fine, it looks perfect, but I had to keep it separate until after painting or I would never get a paint coverage on its underside. It also sits slightly on top of the white stripe, as that intake is a late addition before the race. It will soon be in place.

• Like 1

The base... I had nothing in mind and looked around, then I came to think of what was actually included in the box. Rather clumsy ugly parts, but the base plate itself had a rather cool shape. I cut off a piece, filled two holes, drilled a new for a metal rod and smoothened the whole thing, making it ready for some paint. Not sure if it will be useable or look OK.

VS65.jpg

VS66.jpg

The assembly went on rather well and without any problems. I used 5 min epoxy for most parts to give me some time to adjust their exact positions.

VS67.jpg

VS68.jpg

VS69.jpg

VS70.jpg

Soon most parts were fitted. I did a little weathering with some burnt/sooty streaks on the underside while I had access.

VS71.jpg

When I cleaned out the box I looked through the parts for the left over two seated vespa. I must find a 1/43 scale old style racing bike rider and try to make a TT/road racer out of this, some day. But It'll be for another thread I guess.

VS72.jpg

Gluing the claudia units and thruster coils required some careful rigging to align all the parts in every direction while the glue cured. I have left it like this while we are now outside for some bbq dinner with a good red wine..

VS73.jpg

Oh, that base also got some colour during the day. I'll see how it looks with the model later on.

VS74.jpg

• Like 1

I like the chipping effects very much and in fact what an actual stunner this is going to be. Those louvres do desperately need a wash / shading effect though. No doubt we will see this soon.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your kind words and support guys. I'm a bit surprised myself how close the model turns out both in style and scale to the vision I got when I first saw the kit.

The louvres look like this when seen close. I painted the "openings" on their backside with thin black paint. I couldn't do a wash as they aren't defined sharply enough in the openings, so the wash would just run equally around the whole raised part giving the wrong look.

VS75.jpg

I fitted the front lights and did some more weathering.

VS76.jpg

VS77.jpg

A bit overexposed it seems, so some oil stains and leakages are not seen as clearly.

VS78.jpg

This is how the base came out. I'm not sure yet so it isn't glued together at this point.

VS79.jpg

I might revisit some area after a few days resting, but this is probably very much finished now.

VS80.jpg

VS81.jpg

• Like 3

This is really quality modelling from you again Jörgen, simply love the finished result,.........and I'm

definitely sending my pilots to you for painting, and moustaches!

Sean

• Like 2