P-51B D-Day Marking Combo 1/72 - round 2

Hey guys, as i m waiting for decals and few more aftermarket pieces for swordfish, i thought i would build some other plane. After a bit of deciding and chosing (ok, took me few days of moving boxes in and out of stash...) the choice was done - it ll be P-51B. I got P-51B D-Day marking combo boxing of hasegawa kit, straight from HLJ (big sales there for the dual combo boxings these days if anyone is interested). At first i wanted to make just one of them in D-Day marking and other as "Shangri-la" or "ill wind", but as i was browsing through photos of the D-Day mustangs, i fall in love with the marking and i ll make both for this gb if you dont mind :)

The first one ll be "The Iowa Beaut" as the following :

e1eb40fa315b1766f8363708cab350fb.jpg

WWIIpics_14.jpg

wr_p2.jpg

And i see first "problem" already :) I thought the top side of wings/fuselage, over the white/black stripes were repainted with fresh OD - it looks like that on the first two pics. The paint is more dark and somehow glossy. But on the third image... you can see on the right wing hard weathering right where the fresh paint should be and it does not look like white under it O.o well, it has time, it has time :))

The second one ll be probably "The Flying Scot" (to make one with malcolm hood and one with classic B canopy), but i cannt find any photo for this one.. :(

Anyway, i ll not build both at once, i started to work on the iowa beaut already mostly scratchbuilding interior, have plans for making new wheel wells, flaps down (ll use spare flaps from cute airfix´s D, after a bit of touching here and there they ll fit good :) ). So far used just few bits of Eduards Zoom (i simply love the PE instrument panels, mainly in the low scale they still look better to me than just decal). For the second one i ordered Part PE set (i was interested in the canopy framing and nice seat), so the second one i ll start to build as soon as the PE gets to here.

For now, the first cockpit got first layers of paint and i ll start to paint details, i ll post photos later tonight, have to save postimage storage room :)

Edited by Wolwe82

Oki so quick report from the build :)

Here the cockpit before painting

001.jpg

As it is quite hot here, i was working by opened window and you know the night moths and lights... so i got little helper for a bit :D

002.jpg

And here it is now, it is late so i ll continue tomorrow

003.jpg

I want to make the plywood desk with the wood structure, then go with hairspray and paint black over it (aluminium over the metal plates there) and then do some scratches, revealing the base a bit.

Overall it needs some touches here and there, then some wash and drybrushing :)

Have to find how to paing leather bags to look good - any advices guys? I take any tips - from what paints/shades to use to what techniques :) Thanks

• Like 6

Hi Wolwe82,

Good to see you've joined this GB. Excellent work so far - I still don't know how you achieve that level of detailing in 1/72. Looking forward to see how you develop these two!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks stix :) honestly i m kind of jealous how clean can you do your detailing (saw the spit in WIP), the clean of the build is something i need to improve a lot.. :) So me as well cannt wait to see your eduards spit going on :) got one to do but still i feel i need more practice to not ruin it :)

• Like 1

After a bit of drybrushing and painting details here and there. I swear i m going to get enamels for drybrushing, trying to drybrush with tamiya acrylics goes like "dry the brush, do one, two moves aaaand we are done.. dib on paint, dry the brush and go again".. too much for my nerves.. :))

And i also have to get some better photo equipment, seems like my photos are darker and darker.....

004.jpg

• Like 2

From what I can see the details look good.

You might get a better view of the details if you place the objects you are taking photos off on a darker back ground - I think your camera is adjusting for the amount of light coming in from the background - there is a lot of white compared to the fuselage sides. Only a guess because I don't know what equipment you are using.

As for dry-brushing I find Humbrol and Revell Acrylics seem to go on well.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

wow thanks thats pretty cool images! the nose on the first photo is quite clean and light, also it looks like only big light (white?) strip is behind cockpit (also the Z is not overpainted), while on the second image the nose and spinner are quite heavily weathered - is it possible the flying scott name was used on more planes, or simply first image is from much earlier? Also, nice detail are the wheel well covers, half closed, half opened, just like that happened very often :)

A bit of progress tonight, i started to work on the wheel wells but its going quite slowly (also its so damn hot here and world cup begins! so the work is going even more slowly :) ). Made one of the gear doors with "replated" section, the other door ll be closed so i wont bother with the other ones.

Fotografie_0060.jpg

Fotografie_0057.jpg

Fotografie_0059.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys. I was browsing around to get some info about "the flying scott" (as it should be the second build marking for me) and there are few misteries to me. First, i cannt find any photos of the real plane or much info about it (So thanks wellzy for your photos :) ) - i was wondering when the blue nose was repainted and so on. Also, on eagle strike 1/48 decals, there is "the flying scott" for left side of nose AND "Vicious Vergie j.q." for right side of the nose(which obviously is not on the tamiya decals).. so i dont know where is truth. Maybe i could find some other D-Day B mustang (was thinking about "the bald eagle" B7*E as i have decals for this one from some older kit, but the camouflage is almost same as the iowa beaut so i dont know to have two almost same markings).. well the Part PE parts ll take few weeks to get here so i have time yet.. :)

Looking good as always Wolwe! Yes, the World Cup will take up a bit of my modelling time as well!

It looks to me like the 'Flying Scot' photos above depict two different aircraft simply because the top one seems to be named, 'Flying Scot II".

edit: The 'D' might be covering the 'II' on the second though, huh?

Edited by Cookenbacher
  • Like 1

How about Berlin Express 357th , Snoot Sniper 352nd ,The Deacon 4th ,,sleepytime Gal 361st ,

just a few there`s loads more

Les

• Like 1

Oki, i got two favourites then.. both have similar camo as the iowa beaut, but well...

For this one i have decals so it would be easiest

Z_WIP_HASnap_9b.jpg

For this one i would have to get lifelike decals, so it depends on accesibility

Lifelikedecals_1.jpg

While watching football world cup, i was working a bit on the wheel wells. One ll be more detailed, so i started to work on that one, the other one ll have the "clamshell" door closed so i wont waste time on it that much. Need to add one more rib and also some wiring ofcourse, but so far i m here

009.jpg

the PE strip is from il-2 bomb bay which i had in spare parts.. :) ofcourse its not exactly how it looked in p-51 wheel wells, but it gives it some busy feeling and thats important to me :)

the wing is just dry fit in

Sadly, when i was beginning with the wheel wells, i had no images of the front side, so i made the walls following the wheel wells opening, but there should not be wall, it should be opened same like the back side. But i m not going to change it now. The wings leading edge is also wrong (using P-51D wing profile), but i can live with it.. my next B´s (after this dual boxing) ll be revells which have the wings right.

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 2

The D is covering the "II" cookenbacher :) It seems like the first photo was just taken earlier. i ll check some other planes, though i need to find some decals for it too :)

Any time you need someone to point out something obvious that you already know, I'm here for you buddy.

• Like 3

I think the wheel wells are finished now. One is more detailed, there ll be opened the clam shell door, the other one ll have the doors closed like it is on the image here, so i did not spend much time on the area which ll be covered. It got quick primer paint, i just wanted to see how it looks before i continued with a bit of detailing

009.jpg

I made new MG barrels from brass tube and needle stuck inside it

010.jpg

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 2

Thanks Arniec :) The wheel wells got some paint. First layer was black primer, followed by some mix which should be like ZCY -i have the humbroll enamel ZCY, but when i opened it, i found out its almost dry as i was not using it for ages, so i mixed some vallejo paints to get similar shade. Its a bit more yellow in real, but still not as yellow as the humbroll paint, partialy because i tried to do some touches while adding buff paint to the mix.. well, after some dirt added inside later, it wont be noticeable that much i hope.

011.jpg

And now time to full watch the england vs italy match ;)

• Like 3