1/32 Tomcats, late F-14D VX-9 Vandy-1 and early F-14A VF-1 Wichita-101

Do you know that feeling when you pass by old models in the case after some years and you look at them and just have to tell yourself: "What the hey was Ithinking when I did these?!!!"
O.k., these two models are already fairly old. I did them in 2007 and 2009 and already presented them a few years back. But I must admit when I recently passed by them I just thought exactly that .... what the heck was I thinking when I did these.
I completely redid these now about five or even seven times.
At least for the moment I can live with the current result.

Basis for both is the good old revell kit with all it's shortcomings but an unbeatable price. I got these kits for 5 Euros approx. 7 USD each and that meant I could spent my dime on some nice resin and etch extras one largely also would need for the more expensive alternatives from Tamiya and Trumpeter.
Yes the kit does need a lot of attention but in the end, what is the modelling hobby all about in the end?!!!

18531813ou.jpg

18531814mi.jpg

• Like 8

For Vandy-1 I originally used the CAM 1/32 decals but since these are not very correct and besides having the wrong colors are also missing some elements and since there are no alternatives in 1/32 for the Black Bunny, I went ahead this time and also did my own decals (similar to the Tiger Tornado).

18531823wl.jpg

• Like 1

So decals are all self made, the whole airframe was rescribed and I used a resin cockpit for the Delta-Version including the correct NACES seats and digital displays, the pilots originally wore old style HGU-33 helmets but I recrafted them to newer style HGU-68P helmets with iridium visors.

The gun vents were also scratch worked to modern NACCA style and drilled open. ECM antennae below the wingglove were removed as these went inside on the original and the GPS bumper on the spine was added.
I was not satisfied with how the rivet lines came out under the black coating so I emphasized the rivets with flat black spots which also better resembles the maintenance work done on the original.

I also gave Vandy-1 completely reworked intake ramps postioned in super sonic mode.

18531898re.jpg

18531899mi.jpg

18531829uy.jpg

18531830gt.jpg

18531831ep.jpg

18531832ax.jpg

Whenever I saw the original it was quite worn, although not as heavily as its grey sisters. Hence I had to come up with a good method for a weathering. The first time I did this I think I have strongly overdone the effect so all my last painting on the jet came off recently and I completely redid everything. I rather accidently came about a nice way to at least remotely replicate the weathering and maintenance effect of the original. I still used gloss black paint but rather thick in consistance and with only low pressure on the spray gun. This way the sprayed lines also left a somewhat less shiny patina around the edges which I think looks quite nice compared with the original. So the current fading and weathering is at least in my eyes way better and softer than it was on the original.
18531892rm.jpg

18531869sr.jpg

18531870sv.jpg

18531871os.jpg

• Like 3

I know it might be rather unusual for Vandy-1 to carry a 4-2-2 load but I have two shots of her carrying a pure A/A-load and hence I thought that an ideal reminiscence of this beauty.

18531893rp.jpg

18531894nr.jpg

18531895bs.jpg

18531896ue.jpg

18531897sg.jpg

18531900hh.jpg

Aaaaand back into the case with it.
18531901fa.jpg

• Like 3

The basis for this Wichita-101 was also Revell. 158627 was the first operational fleet Tomcat. I have some fond memories of this ship when I was on military exchange in early 2000 which was also the last year of her service life before she got scrapped. I gathered quite some intel on the early years of this bird when I got in touch with the pilot who flew her from the grumman factories in Calverton to Miramar in 1973. At that time there were no decals for this bird and I also did all the markings mself. Now there are some nice decals available for this BuNo from Fightertown, albeit in 1/48.
18531951ya.jpg

• Like 3

I did quite some scratchwork on the kit to depict an early block Tomcat including extensive rescribing and adding the diverse rivets. The nozzles and turbine are unused parts from the Tamiya kit but reworked to early TF-30-412 standard. I sanded off the stiffener plates from the tail, gave it an old style six grill gun vent, reworked the cockpit including pilots with old style HGU-33 helmets and those nice wolfpack markings on it. The tail was completele reworked with scratch parts to depict the early wide boat tail. since I wanted to present her during the workups for the first Tomcat cruise, i.e. in late '73 / early '74 I hence kept the dialectic panels on as these were only removed during and after cruise.
18531955xf.jpg

The windshield of the Tomcat was apparently differently hardened and layered which created an effect of some sort of different visibility when the light came from a certain angle. I tried to replicate that effect by using two sheets of clear foil which received the slightly greenish tint of the hardened glass and than coated them separately with future. this way I at least recreated a remotely similar effect on the windscreen.

18531956je.jpg

18531957ek.jpg

Eventually Wichita-101 received a reworked early nosepod that still has the old IRST-sensor which proved ineffective and was removed only short time later on on the originals and was only revided on the double chin pod of the Delta-model. It might have been innefective but it looked great.
18531958mw.jpg

• Like 3

What I absolutely despice are those nasty holes you have between the wingseal bags and the wingbox when the wings are swept forward. Tamiya has provided two separate parts for the seal bags but that also means you have to decide whether you want the wings stay movable or fix them in the forward position. Trumpeter has tried to supply a rubber bag but that is just not working properly. When I finished this bird the first time in late '08 / early '09 I already thought about that and gave it some flexible seal bags made of foam but wasn't satisfied with it anymore as of late and also replaced them with self made parts where I covered the foam with rubber from an old bicycle hose. This way the wings stay movable and I stilldon't have to endure these ugly holes.
I also gave the kit some retractable glove vanes made of styrene plastic. The fuel tanks received scratched tails with winglets. There is not much documentation of early VF-1 birds with fuel tanks on as these were only used if absolutely necessary due to the problems caused by these winglet ends but I have at least ten nice ref pics showing Wichita - 101 and here sisters with these tanks on.
18531989fy.jpg

18531990ut.jpg

18531991ik.jpg

18531992st.jpg

18531993zl.jpg

18531997jt.jpg

18531998lj.jpg

18531999ue.jpg

18532000yu.jpg

18532001kp.jpg

Aaaaand off she goes back on the shelf ..... welll until the nest rework. :whistle:

18532002wl.jpg

• Like 6

Both are really stunning .love the Phoenix on the second one nice touch and really well done :)

THANK YOU for the nice feedback.

I just love swing wings and to me the Tomcat was just the most awesome and most beautiful aircraft ever! I know its all just a matter of taste but she was a gorgeous lady and I dearly miss the big fighter.

I have some fond memories of the times I was able to see and touch them.
my goal is to have at least one 1/32 model of every BuNo that was particularly special to me. 158627 and 164604 were the first ones.

My next project is to depict 164341 during a bombing dive. This buNo was the first Tomcat I could see live and in person and I have some fond memories of her too when I was on military exchange in 2000.

I firstly have to congratulate on these fine builds, i also have to agree there is something beautiful about the big beast, unfortunately ive not seen one in person and unless we are allowed to have a museum example in the uk i probably wont.

i have a few of the kits built in 72 48 and 1 in 32 scale but not to this standard great wotk

@Ben: The missile's exhaust blume is actually not a too big deal to do. I used a colored clear acrylic rod that I sanded off for a pointy end, drilled a little hole in the end to fit into the thin metal rod of the display and after the coloring I used some flat coat. I then applied some padding around it, formed it so it would look at least remotely realistic and color sprayed it a little after that. That's it already.