7th Armoured Stuart VI

Thanks for the encouragement chaps

Not much done except a gloss coat ready for the decals.

Shiny!

DSC_0001_zpsc4e58f4e.jpg

Have also started to paint the tracks, but forgot to take a picture!

Am going to leave the gloss coat to dry for a day or two before adding the decals, so I'm going to take this opportunity to make a start on a second kit for the build. I'm torn between the following...

Tamiya Churchill MkVII

Tamiya Bren Carrier

Tasca Sherman V

Dragon Sherman III

Any suggestions chaps?

Regards,

Steve

+1 for the Bren Carrier.....Maybe model them as part of the same unit if decals permit? :hmmm:

Now theres a thought!

Decals won't be a problem due to having some rather nice Archer ones for various Armoured Divisions. Bit of research required me thinks ;-)

Regards

Steve

How do chaps.

Been playing with decals.

After a fair bit of mooching through various books I decided to go with an Un-Brigaded tank from the 11th Armoured Recce Regiment. I've had some Eduard vinyl squadron masks for ages and I decided to have a go. Liked the look of a white diamond from the HQ squadron.

DSC_0004_zps33a28c31.jpg

White sprayed on.

DSC_0006_zps60c0f45a.jpg

And the mask removed.

DSC_0010_zps7dc26932.jpg

The over spray was then touched in with some OD paint.

DSC_0008_zps0cb131c1.jpg

BUT......

The green and blue with white 45 decals broke up when I soaked them in water! So I had to resort to plan B.

I really didn't want to go to the trouble of re-spraying the turret so another rummage brought up some blue diamond squadron markings, This time these were softened with some Micro-Sol. This worked well and decals came off and settled nicely.

DSC_0017_zps9e1703bc.jpg

Once I've touched in some blue paint, I think (hope) they should look OK. If not I'll just have to bite the bullet and re-spray the turret sides.

DSC_0016_zps8f32cd74.jpg

These are the decals from Archer. By far the best decals I've used! The markings represent the HQ Squadron tank from the 2nd Fife & Forfar Yeomanry, which was the junior regiment in the division.

More to follow.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

How do chaps,

Been playing with decals and stowage today. Census numbers on which concludes the decals for this.

DSC_0003_zpsc9c5b073.jpg

The blue sqaudron sign was painted over with a suitable shade of blue and the edges were touched in with some Tamiya OD. Didn't look to bad to begin with, but once the paint dried it looked a total dog! Stowage will be fitted to cover these up as I cant be bottomed to repaint the turret! :blink2:

DSC_0001_zps2ffe946a.jpg

Talking of stowage! This is from Value Gear. Great stuff and for around 7 quid for a dozen or so pieces you really can't go wrong :winkgrin:

DSC_0004_zps9fede58b.jpg

After painting it all in-situ and my PzIII N build, I decided to go with the 'off-situ' approach. Sprayed Vallejo black primer.

DSC_0006_zps85737d55.jpg

Intruder alert!!!! She did bring me a nice cup of tea though :kissing2:

DSC_0005_zpsf6b4a674.jpg

Sprayed various shades of Vallejo browns and greens.The two small packs are to cover those dodgy squadron markings!

DSC_0009_zps1d645d91.jpg

Dry brushing with Vallejo sand and washes done with Games Workshop Devlan Mud & Thraka Green.

DSC_0008_zps266e1371.jpg

DSC_0011_zps533b921d.jpg

DSC_0012_zps34dba1bb.jpg

DSC_0010_zps800c20a5.jpg

DSC_0013_zps488c9335.jpg

The retaining straps were painted a mix of Vallejo Olive Drab and Sand. Gives a nice Khaki Drill shade.

DSC_0015_zpsa181c4fe.jpg

DSC_0016_zps3320453e.jpg

Bit more fettering to be done and these will be finished. Weathering of the tank to follow in due course. I'm off this weekend so should be able to get plenty of shed time (I hope)

Regards,

Steve

• Like 3

How do chaps.

Weathering commenced.

Started of by covering the lower hull and running gear with some Games Workshop textured paint.

DSC_0001_zpsd2508f11.jpg

When this had dried off I sprayed a coat of Tamiya XF52 Dark Earth, followed by a blast of XF57 Buff. This was also misted up over the hull sides and nose.

DSC_0004_zps6a479e78.jpg

DSC_0003_zps2d26bc25.jpg

The tools also received some more attention in the shape of more washes and dry brushing.

DSC_0002_zps5c62091b.jpg

The model was then given another blast of gloss in prep for more washes to the lower hull. This should give some depth to the 'dirt' that was added.

DSC_0005_zps910a8a0a.jpg

More to follow soon.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Excellent job, just thought I would ask....do you know of a source of info /decals to suite vehicles of the 2nd Fife and Forfar Yeomanry as it was my Dads unit in WWII . He was a gunner on Shermans and I am looking to build a collection of vehicles to represent his time there ( Normandy onwards ). Any pointer gratefully recieved.

That is great looking dirt there!! I really like the way you've done the tools and equipment. Fascinating build - I'm learning a lot!

You're a lot further ahead than I am, but very impressed. The weathering seems sufficient and not overdone and the stowage from Value Gear is extremely well cast.

Nice work

Many thanks for the comments chaps.

Weathering now complete. I finished it off the 'old fashioned' way with washes, drybrushing and earthy coloured artists pastels. I quite like the end result. I've taken lots of piccies so I'll let them do the talking as it were :)

DSC_0003_zps22ffe983.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsc070d381.jpg

DSC_0001_zps6e12f2bf.jpg

DSC_0002_zpscccb3f2f.jpg

DSC_0005_zps59ae402a.jpg

DSC_0011_zps77173aa0.jpg

DSC_0012_zps3fdf2d79.jpg

I've also attached to stowage.

DSC_0008_zpsecb59868.jpg

DSC_0009_zps446d7609.jpg

DSC_0007_zps594c4d31.jpg

Wheels on.

DSC_0014_zps8fe3d826.jpg

DSC_0015_zps6f815cbb.jpg

DSC_0017_zps1ade20c6.jpg

Tracks on. These still need a bit more work.

DSC_0021_zpse75ab9ca.jpg

Matt coat applied to protect and seal the pastels.

DSC_0019_zps7cce4706.jpg

I'm also considering putting this on a base, nothing too fancy though.

DSC_0020_zps59ee44d3.jpg

Nearly there now.

More soon.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 5

Thanks for the comments chaps.

With the build done and painting about finished, ive started work on a small dio base. Pics to follow in due course ;-)

Regards

Steve

How do chaps,

Quick update before I go off to work later!

Made a start with the base. Its a cheap picture frame with ground work done with ready mixed filler. It was a bit dry to start with, but it soon started to behave when I sprayed water onto it from my airbrush. When it had been left overnight to dry off, I sprayed it with black and then various earthy browns from Tamiya.

DSC_0002_zps9420d5d0.jpg

Next job will be to start laying down the grass and gravel. I've also got some Woodland Scenic's bushy stuff that I'm going to have a go with.

And, the tank on the base to give an idea of whet it should look like.

DSC_0003_zps926f245f.jpg

This is the first 35th scale base I've made and I'm quite enjoying it so far!

More soon,

Regards,

Steve

• Like 4

Excellent job, just thought I would ask....do you know of a source of info /decals to suite vehicles of the 2nd Fife and Forfar Yeomanry as it was my Dads unit in WWII . He was a gunner on Shermans and I am looking to build a collection of vehicles to represent his time there ( Normandy onwards ). Any pointer gratefully recieved.

Aye up drookit,

Just noticed your request for info!

The reference that I'm using in the main is British Tanks In Normandy by Ludovic Fortin, but this only gives basic details as to Regiments and Divisions etc, I believe that the 2nd Fife & Forfar were equipped with Comets later in the war. I imagine they used Sherman's and Stuarts up to the point of the Comets being introduced? As for decals, they were part of the 11th Armoured Div and I can recommend Archer's set of British Armoured Divisions decals. Water slide and great quality. I got mine from Historex. They would have worn the number 53 on a red square to denote that they were the junior regiment in the division. Have you tried Google? I'm sure that a load of info will be thrown up if you do!

Hope that my random ramblings are of any help, also I could have got it totally wrong of course!!!!

Regards

Steve

That is some outstanding weathering.....The way you have built up the wet & dry mud effect is masterful, simple but incredibly effective! :worthy:

Just noticed this is your first 1/35 kit.....I'm just finishing off mine now, wish it were as good as this one. :unsure:

• Like 1