7th Armoured Stuart VI

How do chaps,

Thought it was time I chucked my hat in.

After perusing the stash I finally decided on this.

001_zpsb6e40045.jpg

The bits in the box,

002_zps2b9d364b.jpg

And what I'll be using for some reference,

003_zps8919917b.jpg

Depending on how this one progresses I may even start another thread with either a Sherman of sone sort or maybe a Churchill MkVII :hmmm:

Hopefully construction will commence tomorrow at some point.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 3

How do chaps,

Finally managed to cut plastic on this yesterday afternoon. The plastic is quite soft so care needed to be taken with trimming any parts etc. The running gear and basic lower hull complete.

I'm not overly fond of hulls that are made up from flat plates. This took a bit of jiggling to get square. The bogies are made up of 8 parts each and went together nicely. The trailing idler wheels were a bit of a faff to put together.

DSC_0001_zps00d2df34.jpg

More work on the hull with the fire wall in place.

DSC_0003_zps33305584.jpg

Hull top and front plate in place,

DSC_0004_zpsc09e1e43.jpg

DSC_0005_zps2c0a060b.jpg

A few more bits and hull MG fitted.

DSC_0006_zps1dd309cd.jpg

This kit is going to be a bit of a faff to put together, but the final result should be worth it..... I hope!

As an aside, I also managed to score these yesterday from Hobbycrap.

DSC_0007_zpscbb5ec17.jpg

DSC_0008_zps08289c05.jpg

These may make an appearance at a later date!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

On the Bren Carrier issue, the tamiya track is :fraidnot: (unless they have improved it) as the track pitch is 50% longer than it should be.

Resicast do a nice set for a reasonable price which should rectify the problem.

If the last few years are to go by, Graham (Resicast) should be at MAFVA Nationals this coming weekend at Duxford :clap2:

On the Bren Carrier issue, the tamiya track is :fraidnot: (unless they have improved it) as the track pitch is 50% longer than it should be.

Resicast do a nice set for a reasonable price which should rectify the problem.

If the last few years are to go by, Graham (Resicast) should be at MAFVA Nationals this coming weekend at Duxford :clap2:

I believe your Intelligence is on the ball here.

The AFV Club Stuart, though, has a very good reputation, and it's a lovely little tank when built. You'll be finished in no time. Good stuff.

Hi Steve,

I would like to make a Stuart at some point so will be watching this carefully.

Kind regards,

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

How do chaps.

Been a while since I've been able to work on this.

The upper engine deck needed a bit of a trim to fit, but went in quite nicely. The brass screens are very soft and these were fitted with Gator Glue.

DSC_0003_zps0670abc9.jpg

Lights and other bits fitted to the front plate.

DSC_0002_zps779bda8b.jpg

Hull hatches fitted.

DSC_0001_zps687d178f.jpg

The basic turret shell. This went together better than I thought it would. The knack was to fit the rear plate and once left to dry for a few minutes the other half was offered up. A little bit of a jiggle was needed and then everything lined up nicely.

DSC_0004_zps8d1df231.jpg

As i'm going to have the hatches closed I've not bothered doing anything with the gun breach etc.

Turret to finish and a few more bits and tools to add to the rear hull. A couple more sessions with the glue and I reckon she'll be ready for some paint!

Regards,

Steve

P:S Its not 7th Armoured, its 11th Armoured! :blush:

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 3

Thanks for the comments chaps.

A little more progress made today.

Turret just about done now. Had to reinforce the hatches as they had several gaps and the hold wasn't that good.

DSC_0007_zpseb8c714f.jpg

DSC_0006_zps1117d449.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsf5cdd8d8.jpg

The metal barrel in place. Its since dropped off! Just would not stick! Will sort it later.

DSC_0009_zps39957105.jpg

Lid sat on the hull.

DSC_0008_zpsab5f0416.jpg

Tools to add and then on with some paint. I'm not going to fit the track grousers to the turret due to a lack of patience and fat fingers! BUT.... I'm getting a bit balls'd off with it if i'm honest. Typical AFV Club kit being over engineered and frustrating to the point of wanting to introduce it to the wall :angry:

It may get shelved for a while and I might have a bash at a nice simple Tamiya Bren Carrier or Churchie VII

Regards,

Steve

• Like 4

That is a very nice looking Tankie. Keep up the good work and even dough it doesn't go as planned in the end you will be satisfied with this one.

Cheers,

How do chaps,

Thanks to the encouragment frow Brews, Sgt.Squarehead and Arniec (cheers fellas ;-) ) the main build is done. Weather permitting tomorrow, its out to the shed for a coat of primer.

Will post pics later.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks guys, Now I've got some paint on i quite like it again!

Undercoat of Vallejo Black.

DSC_0018_zpsb294052d.jpg

Once this was dry I put down a coat of Olive Drab. For this I used Tamiya XF62. I've been using Vallejo for so long now that I actually forgot how much I like Tamiya acrylics! Sprayed nice and smooth with some X22 Clear added.

DSC_0019_zps06cd5a0c.jpg

Tamiya XF15 Flesh was added to the paint cup and this was misted over the base colour.

DSC_0020_zpsae9b1c49.jpg

DSC_0021_zps94676f67.jpg

DSC_0022_zpsd635d316.jpg

Some spinning bits.

DSC_0023_zps26514d0c.jpg

DSC_0026_zpsc8622bd5.jpg

DSC_0025_zpsc1484bb4.jpg

And one with the lid on.

DSC_0024_zpsdc3a226e.jpg

Next job will be a gloss coat and decals followed by some detail painting. Will probably go easy with the weathering on this one and add a bit of stowage.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 6

Thanks chaps,

That looks great.....You appear to have a pot of 'old recipe' XF-62, these days it is much greener! :shutup:

Its one of the large pots that i've had years. Still has a Beatties label on it!

Regards,

Steve

How do chaps,

Bit of detail painting done.

Machine guns painted black.

DSC_0027_zpsfedc0ae7.jpg

DSC_0028_zps20db048c.jpg

Tools painted black for the heads and Vallejo wood for the handles. The handles are rather bright, but washes and dry brushing will tone them down.

DSC_0029_zpsab90213d.jpg

Tyre's were painted in a mix of Vallejo black grey & black.

DSC_0030_zps8398a341.jpg

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1