M4 Sherman 75mm Normandy - Dragon 6511 *FINISHED*

My next build will be the M4 Sherman 75mm Normandy and configured as:
Co. C, 70th Tank Battalion, Utah Beach, Normandy, France, D-Day 1944 (later modified to the 37th TB, 4th AD, Brittany, France 1944)

2014_06060021.jpg

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 1

You take the easy way out with these non-Zimmerit AFVs - Not to mention rubber band tracks that look good :)

Maybe so, but my major build is the AFV Club Churchill Mk IV and I also have the Mk IV AVRE, Firefly Vc & 2. ton GMC all in the background if things go well.

Also, I've built 6 Shermans in the last year but haven't finished any of them and I plan to do that with this one.

Besides, you always see loads of German stuff at shows and in reviews - can't think why? - and they have never really appealed other than as targets.

So I do Allied stuff, some say they're boring, I say they have character, and unlike German stuff they are quite addictive.

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 3

Another Sherman..........Nice.........welcome to the GB Shermaniac.......................Smudge

Vehicle has disembarked the landing craft and is currently in the assembly area and being fitted out for combat.

• Like 1

Well, thought the whole thing was over there for a while when I couldn't log on :shrug:

A bit about the Sherman:

The Sherman is not flashy, or 'special', or impressive like a Panther or Tiger but what it is, is a Swiss Army knife. It was needed to do a lot of things at a time when we were losing everywhere and were out gunned and short of everything. They clearly weren't the best tool for the job BUT, like the T-34, they could be built quickly and cheaply (by the standards of the day) in their thousands.

They could be maintained easily and used a common range of parts with recognized limitations or lifespan. They were very adaptable and many modifications would come about but the basic gun tank mounting the 75mm gun was the mainstay of the Allies for most of the Second World War. It is also notable that versions of the Sherman were still used many years after in the smaller, but no less fierce, conflicts across the globe.

The Day Shift has begun:

The factory opened it's doors yesterday after a delivery of parts and well, it's a real box of bits. But, that's par for the course with Dragon kits and as with all the others, this kit will provide me with a ready supply of spares for future builds. Not the most inspiring or challenging of builds, the Sherman can be assembled relatively quickly without much to-do and the detail provided by Dragon is more than that of most other kit suppliers.

2014_06070001.jpg

Production Line:

Assembly moved along at pace Now, as this is a Sherman the build is rather straight forward and in general without much concern to badly fitting parts. At most, you will have to apply a small amount of sanding - a couple of swipes with the sanding stick - to solve the issue. The keys to building a Dragon Sherman are the use of sub-assemblies, and Tamiya Tape!! Gotta make sure it all fits. Even at this early stage I am applying the Photo-Etch as needed. This helps with the 'feel' of the kit and is a psychological - 'I've made quite a lot of progress' - feeling.

2014_06070003.jpg

Something which is NOT SHOWN in the instructions are:

• The Transmission housing was actually BOLTED to the main hull but nowhere in the instructions does it show the row of bolts.
    • 12 Bolts can be found on each sprue next to part V3 - you should install 8 on each housing - see below
  • Parts V6 - track skids require 4 bolts to be added,
    • Using parts V33 found next to parts V6 place 2 bolts on each of the skid surfaces due to be attached to the bogie unit

2014_06080002.jpg

End of Shift, time for Tea :eat:

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 3

Strictly Out the Box

Did a few hours last evening and polished off the rear hull plate arrangement and air filters

2014_06100001.jpg

This prehistoric looking thing is actually the main 75mm gun, mantlet and housing for the turret - looks a bit different from this angle.

The turret .30 cal is a very fine rendering so I won't be using the RB one on this trip - Dragon are getting better with these kits (I know! there are some lemons out there - Lemonade anyone :winkgrin: ). The main gun in plastic is also a very easy clean-up and will also be used as kit - no metal barrel here guys!

2014_06100002.jpg

The turret in a dry assembly - no glue yet. The cupola is placed onto the turret and the very fine fittings attached to the hatches. I have scraped out the plastic that is infilling the machine gun barrel clamp so it looks like what it should. This took a fair few minutes of fine fettling but was well worth the effort. All the parts are fitting extremely well and I'm very impressed up to now. :thumbsup:

2014_06100005.jpg

There will be a bit more progress tonight and paint isn't that far away but this weekend will be a frenetic Saturday and Club Night here and on Sunday is the MAFVA Nationals at Duxford so much so, that not much modelling will be done for a few days.

I have in this kit:

• 2 types/sets of road wheels
  • 3 transmission housings
  • 3 gun mounts
  • 2 gun barrels
  • 2 sets of drive sprockets
  • 2 types of bogie units
  • 3 rear (lower) hull plates
  • 2 deck plates
  • 3 grouser vents

I think even Toyota would be impressed with the spares pack from Dragon :yikes:

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 4

I am familiar with the load of left-over bits from Dragon Shermans. What options do you have with the bogies, though? Surely not the M3 type, as well.

Nah! :nono: Just the basic options for horizontal (my choice) or raised return roller mounts also Road wheels (choice undecided as yet) are Stamped Ribbed or Open Spoked

• Like 1

lookin good Al..

Andy.

I aim to please ;) I'll have to see how many of the Shermans I can get finished for the Sutton Show in September now that my run of Pershings is coming to a close (until I can find a new excuse!)

Edited by Shermaniac

• 3 weeks later...

It has been 18 days since my last confession :pope: : My latest tinkering has involved:

Installing the Fuel filler caps, Upper Hull Deck Plates - now these did need some work as there was a .75mm gap between the plates and the hull sides, way too much!

I applied a 10 thou sliver of card on the 2 outer edges of both top and middle plates and along the bottom edge of the middle plate then, sanded carefully to ensure a more even fit.

2014_06280017.jpg

The plates are not glued yet!

Also fitted were the turret upper & lower halves, the cheek armour (still a little filler needed there), lifting eyes and searchlight mount, as well as the main gun assembly.

On the Hull front, I have glued the Transmission housing, hull machine gun and the co-drivers hatch is being prepared for the vision block brush guards.

2014_06280014.jpg

It's amazing how long the fiddling :guitar: & fettling :bangin: takes when you're 'in the zone!'

Yes, I know, it doesn't look like I've done very much :waiting: but sometimes you have to roll with the punches on these builds.

More next time....... :bye:

• Like 4

Progress at last - seems like ages!

You don't get too many pictures of the unassembled running gear for a Sherman so here you are!
Each Bogie Unit comprises 14 parts which only go together one-way however, they are quick and simple to build provided you keep the parts the right way around.

2014_07010003.jpg

Quite the collection, isn't it. Each one is a complete kit in-and-of-itself. Note here: the tyres still have the moulding line around the circumference.

These lines will be smoothed down later, along with applying 'some' wear & tear - but not to overdo it either. A little bit of fettling remains but it is very minor at this point.

2014_07010004.jpg

There is a nice array of casting detail on each of the bogie parts which should come up nicely once painted and weathered

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a couple of busy weeks with not much modelling happening as life has kinda got in the way - Anyway.

I have done a little bit today and it's the fiddly stuff - Brush guards, periscopes, lights etc - Booooor-ing!

The turret periscopes are seen here.

2014_07200001.jpg

Just have the front muddies and headlight guards to finish and then it's PAINT!

2014_07200003.jpg

I'm now at my usual sticking point - the last few bits before it's finished - and I need to push forwards otherwise I can't really start my Churchill. However, it's our build club here next Saturday so it would be good the have this ready for paint (or at least with an undercoat) by then.

Incidentally, at Duxford I picked up some carbon fibre rod/aerials from Accurate Armour (A094) which are (not cheap I suppose, but they are carbon fibre!) very good. You get 5 x 100mm x 0.25dia rods for £8 a pack. Now, I have cut a couple in half - and care should be taken here (just in case???) against fractures/slivers - I had no problems. Oh Yeah, they're FABulous and fix well with CA glue, do not bend but are very flexible - don't over-do it as they may shatter!

I will be refitting my other vehicles with these aerials over time rather than the never-ending-bending wire and stretched plastic which 'always' breaks just as you get to a show. Oh Yes, I got 4 packs of the aerials and WILL get more - probably at Telford.

• Like 3