Spitfire XIV Kitbash in 1/48th Scale.

Hello again Chums,

Tony,I only find the stripes time consuming.There is a certain satisfaction to be had when the masking has gone on and looks right.

Today has been a bit of a whirl,what with the final assembly on three Mustangs and all the photography and processing the piccies and posting everything up here I've been on the go since 11:00 this morning pretty much non stop.

Here's todays progress.The underside was masked off and then the upper surfaces were sprayed with Humbrol 163 RAF Dark Green,thinned with Terebene for a speedy drying time.

y4mAUBHXBvSF9T6BO5vyxMvx03GEdccdMM1Mq4lc

This was left for a couple of hours and then masked with the disruptive pattern masking that I used on my XII build.Humbrol 106 Ocean Grey was then prepared and sprayed and the whole lot was set aside to dry for another couple of hours.

y4mjiNtko3niGf_4H2LspmA2PFSfQBFJWZ2hPXxy

Once dry the masking was all removed and a little touching in on the white where the yellow hadn't been removed was needed.This gave me a little run of white down a couple of panel lines.Nothing that can't be sorted with the tip of a cocktail stick.

y4milJvPzAfP4ZpNaZKCiepFGHxgPiz7IIyD40SB

Then it was decal time.The decal sheet was the Academy one,supplied to me by Chris Rope (cheers Chris).I cut out the relevant bits,starting with the bits that I don't have spares for on the basis that if these went wrong then it was make or break.

y4mOv1A6CKXCH8_o-XsQuRUHH5XB7Rh7ZmBI5hi6

The port side ones went on with no great difficulty even though the decals are very thin and tear easily.I then set about the starboard side which didn't go quite so well and in the process,despite trying to be careful where I put my fingers,managed to foul up part of the port side decal that I'd so encouragingly placed and set.

y4mmcztFrI1do44xfQBOXx3aj1JA4XfSb5P0CM1H

This one isn't going to make the deadline chums.

My thanks to Mish for doing her bit and to Arnold and Tony for doing their bit and to everyone who looked in for your comment and encouragement.

Cheers all.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 3

Really a pity - I know how this is. I just finished my build last night at 10 pm. Then takeing pics, upload them etc. At 11:30 I was done. So I almost did not make it too.

Your Mk XIV in the Gallery would have been great. But then there is still the RFI. I am looking forward to it. Keep up the good work!

Rene

G'day Chums,

Thank you for the kind words.When she's done she will appear in RFI.This should be fairly soon.

This is how I sorted the decal snag.I masked over the lettering on the side that I hadn't made a mess of and,with a new 10A blade,cut out the relevant bits.This piccie shows just how badly I need to visit an optician.

y4mx1depc8NyjfaWGC8RwGi_ap2EQ_Wl6ioRtwdZ

This mask was then repositioned on the side that I did foul up most convincingly.After putting the whole beastie into a carrier bag and taping around the mask to prevent overspray I sprayed a drop or two of Airfix M16 at it.

y4mQrFZAytnVT-tTrCKy2H4OUKmXedIDqWX3lMYQ

I need to titivate this rather a lot but it's a start and it looks fine from six feet away.

y4mQJbgoLZyp91vD5TyepREIG7eV-l19m9rJjlPi

So,a bit of TLC,a complete new set of roundels and a few stencils will put her where she wants to be. I haven't even sorted out the maingear legs yet either.

More soon chums,thanks for looking in.

5/3/2021 edit;this was reworked and finished in 2020,RFI is here.

Edited by Alex Gordon
Replace Photobucket URLs.
  • Like 2