Spitfire XIV Kitbash in 1/48th Scale.

G'day Chums,

I'm intending to knock these two into a Spitfire XIV if I can.

y4miyssmxEWQt4aXb7hw5h8PLim-4PP9F33rAaep

The decals are from the Academy kit,many thanks to Chris Rope for these.The build seems to be a relatively uncomplicated business,famous last words.I started work by clipping the cockpit components off the sprues.The bits from both kits are here,there is a need for a bit of mix and match to be done.

y4mtPIHwpAy3OuNm5uEcots2P0ndGYY0D08WE1aH

A new frame for the back end of the cockpit aperture was made from plastic card.A bit of a tidy up will see it ready to fit.

y4my1Yi-IlPmWVudCgYiHj1J7lj2olzmY5bNrz9Q

The usual bits were done to the seat and instrument panel frames and the seat itself was made to look a little nearer the real thing by thinning the sides and a bit of scraping and hole drilling to make the handholds.

y4m67GuTKsjXZhb_h8m-4NUGTm3sjRnfijUEr_qF

That's all for the moment,the camera batteries are on charge.More soon chums.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again Chums,

It has been a bit of a slow start on this one.Thank you for the kind comments so far chums.Jonners,your build was one of the first that I looked at as a guide.

After a bit of looking and head scratching I have come up with a revised plan.The idea was to end up with a PR XI and an XIV out of this deal but there is just so much to be done to the Hasegawa fuselage to bring it up to snuff that I've decided to build that kit as it is and take another route with the XIV.This involves using the leftover wing from the Airfix Seafire XVII.

y4mJuILmuPhr09nCclw8AKFfbnajJ_IWukVXAbx7

The fit of the wing root from the Hasegawa kit was going to take some fettling.

y4mUkbWhXsYBymqCOoSe-G5Pu3CVP_ID26Nt8qGj

The Airfix root is a lot closer but the wing chord is longer than the fillet on the fuselage.A bit of creative butchery should sort this one out.

y4mqasTcCGeogyxukkOKcyPoH-Ncf3q83sDahumw

Anyway,today has been spent filling wingfold joints with stretched sprue

y4m57ONwECdh2oePQP5rqUlzOB4r3ab61h9IgnkZ

and no longer required underside light lens holes with the round bits that stick out sideways from the sprue.

y4m84ZpXkoWCgQLYdlvf2oYnMIIS-zy_r3ELmzrB

The wing underside light locations were determined from photography,drilled out and then filled using the round bits that stick out sideways on a clear sprue.

y4mM3DuS5xp7vV0ILnhaieSy5Gscr-bOZCRUc8M_

y4mNIsAtnMKUSRx8FeHS0ohJipsXx7-WhiMaWmxq

The unwanted underwing antenna holes were filled with more stretched sprue.

The cockpit pressurization intake was cut off leaving a narrow slot in the side of the cowling panel.This was filled with plastic card.The camera aperture was covered with a circle of thin plastic card and will receive a kelching of Milliput in the near future.The sink marks under the canopy rails have been filled with some small bits of plastic card.

y4mBXpSY-VIBZfzZbeAa9Wx7pBKmaYCd283xS6E6

The next job is to sand all of this down,then the build proper can commence.

Thanks for looking in chums,more soon.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

G'day again Chums,

Just a small update,things have been a bit busy at this end just lately so bench time is becoming fewer and further between.The cockpit interior green has been sprayed on

y4mHVk9ob7Ee9rZhtxYlwaSwX-vnWGkTOPr56CRi

and the sanding of of the various bits of filling has been done.The pressurised canopy rails have also been sanded off and the cockpit door has been cut in.

y4muLkDYlZtSds6MDFHTEj6DEWT94nxzycsDvu1z

There's still some sanding and scribing to be done before construction proper starts but not much more.Thanks for looking,more soon.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello again Chums,

At last,some spare time!

Stix,hopefully progress from here will be a little less erratic.

John,hopefully this won't disappoint.

Silver paint on the appropriate inside bits,propellor,instrument panel and control column spadegrip painted black.

y4m04UPwRU6F5OTFFjSn9vgFoTcc_nABIeX8vnDi

Fuselage taped together and glued and the upper wing sections glued on.What I didn't take a photo of was the removal of the wing trailing edge to match up with the corner of the fuselage fillet.This was a matter of 2mm or so and I used the kit upper wing parts lined up appropriately as a guide for the scalpel and to keep the shape.

y4m3fe3MqLMr9Pk4smZWe6xJD_gAHFFYnFmfJUaS

Cockpit bits ready to go in,apart from the seat harness buckles which will go on before completion.

y4mLrOmzT2hFUskm6U4atKdslG_b90Sb_aEE4pC7

The lower wing section was offered up.There was a nice big gap at the aft end.

y4mF6BF7pD5V8BAel6Ym05BqZvV1NC-hw3MyogDs

A piece of plastic card was cut and fitted as a backing for a spot of milliput filling work.

y4mNLgSZDqDl8qx68yPd-nYL1JaypZPBsl6BZTNP

Anyway,all of this is now waiting for the glue to set and then the build can progress.

Thanks for looking in chums,more soon.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 3

Hi Alex, good to see this back on the bench again! I pretty much said the same thing 5 weeks ago and then you disappeared!! I do like how you're tackling these kits - keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Chums,

Stix,many thanks.A little ingenuity can go a long way in this game.

A bit more done today.A dig through the spares box unearthed some canopy parts.The flaps are the open ones from the Seafire XVII and the XIX kits.

y4mtSvIT3Vlw5TEYpL2qGn8zTIvXKz07fWRdp_Zc

The rear portion of the canopy came from one of the Airfix Ia kit sprues,a mine of goodies if you ever need them.It needed to be lengthened slightly to line up with the rear edge of the cockpit access door.I just happened to have some square section plastic rod that was just the right size in both directions.I bent the end of this around a suitable diameter paintbrush handle and held the shape needed to match the glassware with a bit of tape.

y4mhwAWQaDzisXAN5MOqDZI7p41s1LGjq8diP_-S

Surprise surprise I then glued the two together.

y4mp9CZM8ufUiC0XWUdSsXP67cTJ38VdD-uAZd7Y

The kit ailerons were used to make a pair of blanks to fit into the wing.I'm keeping the kit ones with the kit wing for when I build the PR XI.

y4mwUWkAAdG0EmO77dPVYe5654qZpUPYDTblCNzN

These blanks,and the flap sections were fitted to the wing.

y4mYH-kZY5QMx3Zi1svsWY32Hw1u5iunKIlgymY7

The flaps protrude aft of the wing by a couple of mils or so,this will be used to advantage.The aileron blanks were made a tight good fit protruding slightly aft as well,I have this cunning plan you see.

y4mUnh97NEGM3WhrVu4LU51Zya1TC_S4EUKl6gdZ

Hopefully more tomorrow chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 2

Great progress so far, looking good, don't forget short MkVIII style aelirons on MkXIV and round undercarriage wells without the notches of the Seafire.

Andrew

Hello again Chums,

Andrew,thanks for chipping in.I sorted the wheel wells early on in the build and I have a cunning plan for the ailerons.

y4m-85DF4K9I2w549TAVU1O9TtfeJZMqkRevHcjj

A bit more done today.The aileron blanks were milliputted over on Sunday.While I was at it I glued some stretched sprue into the wing trailing edges to fill the gap at the flap edges.

y4m-uTRa4VUjRzMGRuA9PQVU0Cyf4JbNB4HseqRb

After a spot of sanding and cleaning up the result was starting to look promising.A couple of glue induced sink marks were taken care of while I was at it.

y4mqx1n3Gf_OX755zKeh9rJbrcI8DP8UwuqEu3nB

Remember I mentioned a cunning plan for the shorter ailerons? I took a suitable wingtip from an ICM spitfire kit and used it to mark off where the aileron is supposed to end.

y4msbehPA47C_JUjJ_HjVLGnXhXoXDJg-Alse4MC

I then scribed a panel line in to represent this.Then I made a set of masking tape guides using the XIX ailerons as a pattern.These were used to mark out and scribe the panel lines into the aileron itself.

y4mEDsQxRUwnZonnzgj44zZo-JnMy8xCQNh_0Blc

A coat of primer was brushed on to see what it all was going to turn out like.

y4mxBWvXs7Uj2QdKq0gTuGIrDJqaWykpadZ3WoSc

This is the smoothest bit of milliput out of all four surfaces,the rest could just do with another couple of coats of primer and a sand off to take out the humps and hollows.This one needs my dodgy scribing addressing while I am at it.

y4mYntdX-xC5cefqcZKyOfLZUhhBOBA2E8F1FMZG

I then turned my attention to the cowling underside and the air intake.The cowling cover fits perfectly,the intake sits slightly high.

y4mhufetOB73Bf7P07hAxVGBuKgy8RigHWYOJNic

A little scraping of the rear end joining faces made the front end sit into its recess.A wipe of milliput will sort this one out.

y4m-W_nT8O8zJVR47fg_025b2mOFIu8JuAtyNch8

More soon chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Chums,

Mish,Arnold,many thanks for the encouragement.

Mark,cheers mate! It's been so long since I last looked in on this thread that you got me again today too! :doh:

A bit more progress over the last couple of weeks.It's all been in dribs and drabs so I thought I'd hang on a bit and post up a decent amount.The rear canopy portion has the glassware down as far as the runner for the sliding bit.To raise this I cut a couple of bits of thin plastic card to a suitable size and glued these onto each side.

y4mjQoVsvg9P4z_fHKJ-lvqafLNFKrXRsYsSnfvu

I'm keeping the kit undercarriage components with the wing so while I was in the mood I cut and shaped a pair of mainleg door panels.

y4mKTGB7255uUTDEWBxhcCrmDiiprWRUv7kMXKCN

One of the jobs I did very early on in the build was to cut the radiator matrix mountings off the kit wing.These have now come into use here,setting all the bits into an easy to use lump to fit into the fairings.All of this,having been painted appropriately,was then fitted to the lower wing.

y4mBN3hKZ2PIcBL9xMNLyXDgCmErfeh98b7_Mxhk

The static canopy components were fitted.The front portion is from an Airfix IX I think,and isn't an immediate good fit.

y4mYl8V1dTLEo4Sfl4tyhx0Obfg1NKhRftq8ItCR

A bit of gentle sanding,however,has taken the edge off the problem and a wipe of milliput will sort out the finer points.

y4mv7DJIQtNYEv9QlONYnzuRlzaGNq35HkOevObI

Anyway,I had a fit of enthusiasm this afternoon and sprayed a bit of gloss white at her in readiness for the stripes.This is where I have found that there is a bit of remedial filling to be done in a few places.Once again I'm waiting for paint to dry.

y4mBt2021x60_qJV3K7tktHY3qHdmn9-r0Zb-HGV

More soon chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 3

Hello again Chums,

A bit more done today.The white paint showed up a bit of filling that needed to be redone.I brush painted some Humbrol primer over the various flaws.

y4mpirSK3gYZPB3zP2vBQC0IHuhhRgHz08lRBJsK

The underside of the port radiator housing was showing a bit of glue damage so that was sanded off and the gaps where the housings meet the wing were filled with milliput.

y4mlsebBn5qZpNT3-zxsGmquoekpTfGeLbmTEf3Z

Once dry the primer was sanded down and the surface made smooth.

y4mjDpnF52rIKhd6WKYnmIoV5-mB9ap3Tcu-LGyo

We're nearly ready for the paint job now so there's half a chance of finishing in time.

More soon chums,thanks for looking.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 2

Hi Alex,

It may just be me but I cannot get your photos to appear. I am on my iPad at the moment, so it may be a problem with this rather than your photos, but I can see other photos in other threads. When I click on yours I just get the loading symbol but nothing appears.

I was looking forward to seeing your progress!

Edit: okay you can ignore this now - the photos have all appeared - must have been a problem at my end! Excellent progress! Glad I can see what you've been up to!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Hello again Chums,

Stix,glad you saw the piccies,hope it was worth the effort.

Wimbledon,thanks.It's not really that tricky if you know what you're doing.That's just answered the question of why I've dragged this out for so long.

A bit more progress today.I sprayed the yellow leading edge stripes using the new brew Humbrol 154 Insignia Yellow.I must confess to not being too happy with the colour,it doesn't look like the Insignia Yellow of old.It'll have to do however.

y4m2SO67LVbEytbjwsTufntfNPm_6nqhgAnwQErF

Once dry the yellow was masked off and the white was overcoated to even out the finish where I did the final filling.

y4mfzw0gfDfRkDCZSRGDXx2hEcXLPUHJrE35eX4O

With two days left of this Group Build I've a fair trip to finish this one.Mind you,if Bootneck can finish his LST then I'm damned if I'm not going to finish a bloody Spitfire :frantic: .

More soon chums,thanks for looking.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 3

Very nice indeed and much better than my attempt at the same thing!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940087-airfix-spitfire-pr19-converted-to-spitfire-xiv-fighter-in-148th-scale-icm-wings/?hl=%2Bspitfire+%2Bxiv

Cheers

Toy

Edited by tonyot

G'day Chums,

Tony,thanks old chum.Your build was one I looked at before I really got going with this one.In your usual manner it was one of the more informative threads that I found.As for better,I doubt it.

A fairish push today.Stripy masking time.The method that I used on my Mustang III build ( http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963721-tamiya-mustang-iii-in-148th-scale/ ) was a bit long winded and unwieldy.This method is a variation on that theme.

I started by marking off some masking tape at a scale 18 inches.I then cut a few lengths at the same and set out where the stripes were going to go.I then set out the outer edges of the white and where the black stripes were going to go.

y4m5W5kXWZuAzEmpmM2YyPPVskSWyPeYzkfFHPLm

The ruler strips were then taken off leaving the outer and inner edges of the white stripes marked out but not obstructed.

y4meQ7FTZeCfhfU-tpk_YscQzNGVhqdPEfKN1CYC

Masking on following the markers and pulled round underneath using the excess hanging past the trailing edge as a guide.

y4mTwvfhLWzT7aaIPF_3AA3tvFRjGIVqUxRSjiZp

Markers off and ready to paint.Working over the top of the cannon bulge needed a bit of manipulation but wasn't too tricky.

y4mQ8oSN-5MciKq0JalctfOXRY4bEAI5a5DB7Zs2

Gloss black paint thinned with Terebene was sprayed on.

y4mhm8_MgyYvxEgV_UcoiCd_tyjzRhibr3hlhtRj

Three hours later the black was set and hard enough to take masking so this was done and then the sky band and spinner were painted,using Terebene again.There is a pattern forming here,I'm going for speed.

y4mU7qMgsvJKrcU5biBlR3LlF4vUrbg07nyMamdY

Another three hours passed after which I masked the sky band and sprayed Medium Sea Grey on the underside.

y4me8XBn3YelcqH8SGWV586rwc-dU6jBJYcKAjob

I might be able to mask off the underside tonight,we'll see a bit later on.More soon chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 3