Tram railcar

OK.... OK..... Maybe it's actually railway, but a few other trams have been here too, and TBH.... I'm not sure the railway thread gets much in the way of visitors......

First, Apologies for the lack of updates on the big C Type Jag.

Now you can see why.

With the 'Summer' here, I prefer to be outside rather than in my man cave building models. (Shock-horror!)

I've been contemplating a Garden railway for years, seeing as I do a lot of design and building work for that branch of the hobby.

I'm building a Railcar to run on 32mm narrow-gauge track (for those who have a clue what I'm on about...) and the vehicle in question is around 460mm long.

The body is designed and printed via Page plus onto gloss photo paper, backed with aircraft grade D/S tape (OUCH!!!) - it's flippin' permanent - cut out, stuck to clear polystyrene sheet then cut to size.

All the exterior beading will be trimmed in real wood before it all gets numerous coats of exterior grade gloss clear.

Parts are then fixed together using 10mm x 10mm wood, Beech strips from Venetian blinds, and will eventually be powered by 12v motor, re-chargeable's, and will have full lighting front and rear, and interior.

Power is speed-adjustable and forward/reverse.

I built several for friends years ago - see picture of completed ones - so I'm building one for myself now.

All good fun and it keeps my interests diverse.

Roy.

complete2_zps364bb583.jpg

trams3_zpsa05a6961.jpg

P1010102_zpsce542225.jpg

• Like 4

Nice work. My son keeps on about a garden railway, he is 8 yrs old, The missus would not entertain the idea, but he states when we are old and he is living in our house, he is going to build us an annex at the bottom of the garden and deliver our meals via a garden railway!!! Kind works for me as long as he incorporates a large hobby room, I'm game.

All the best

Chris

• Like 2

Fab!

It makes me want to build that MER No22 car I have lying about.

Rick.

Rick, MER - Manx Electric Railway ? Model shop in Ramsey does some nice card MER models....

BillyD

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back on this one for a while....

The railcar body is complete now and all the wiring is in.

All the wood beading took an age.

Lights front and rear, in the cab, in the passenger area and in the destination head board.

Also, on/off, fwd/reverse and speed controller all wired.

I made my own bogies and power bogie using steel wheels/axles/axle boxes from IP Engineering.

12v motor and gearbox for plenty of 'oommph'!

Fit it all up tomorrow and see how it runs.

Roy.

P1010130_zpsa5596536.jpg

P1010131_zps16447d0c.jpg

P1010071_zps63947882.jpg

P1010070_zps63f0dcac.jpg

P1010072_zpsc65c1390.jpg

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1