Tempest Mk. V W/Cdr Roland P. Beamont 1:48 Eduard & Alley Cat

• 3 weeks later...

After my futile battle to get my Harrier T4 finished for the Harrier GB which ended this weekend plus other distractions I am back on this one. I finished the plumbing of one wheel well this weekend ... yes - I still had lots of other stuff to do so progress is a bit shy. Next obvious step will be to do the plumbing of the other wheel well but maybe I will then add some more detail so I will not call this wheel well finished:

wheelwells_zps38a4e73d.jpg

For the plumbing I used differntly sized wire. After I simply superglued them to the plastic I found this quite tedious as the wires came loose all too easy. So I drilled holes inside the plastic in which I could fix at least one end of each wire. This made things more easy and faster (crucial for me...).

Rne

• Like 3

Somehow I found the time to finish the plumbing of the other wheel well and added some more small detail which is not shown in my previous post. After everything was in place I gave the wells a shot of rim colour flat black from a rattle can. This should work as primer and to give a bit more depth to the following shot of interior green which was last night (I think this is the right colour for a Tempest of this time - please correct me if I am wrong):

wheelwells2_zps6afd61e8.jpg

René

• Like 4

Those wheel wells have really come out well Rene. :yahoo:

The general opinion is Tempest wells were grey-green by this point, the photos I posted are of the 2nd prototype of the Tempest MkII, so are probably not representative.

Factory line shots look about the right tone to be grey-green. Will you be adding some washes/drybrushing to 'pop out' the detail?

cheers

T

• Like 1

Hi Troy,

thanks for the grey-green confirmation. I did some drybrushing yesterday before I glued the wheel wells in place but did not take pictures yet (you can only guess it on one pic below). I did not do too much weathiering yet though - I do not want to make it look a hundert years old, only as you say let the detail pop out a little.

The landing lights now have reflectors made from foil, the lens is done from very thin clear sheet (packing material) which is glued to the etched frame , to replace the thick kit part (no pics yet)

Now I have to build up some simple structure behind the shell ejectors, otherwise they look what they currently are: Empty.

Tempestlight1_zps96d6e126.jpg

Tempestlight2_zpsc395ddd0.jpg

I started to take first measures of where to cut the fuselage. The pencil line shows where the kit fuselage has the same height and width as the resin replacement part. But before I cut I need to check if the resulting length will be correct as well:

Tempesttail1_zps44fe9c34.jpg

So hopefully I have more to show next week.

Rene

• Like 1

Hi Rene

probably too late, the shell ejector slots as done by Eduard are too wide, the are not as wide as the link ejector slots.

phoca_thumb_l_fe54ab95834d4a3884ca2f4455

also, the underwings lights, one is a plain white, the other is more complex, as can be seen just in the above

the one in the starboard wings is like this!

phoca_thumb_l_11a87fdb50d74ca4956fcc763d

from http://www.hawkertempest.se/index.php/indetail/walkarounds/category/5-nv778

Still, your Temepst is getting built, mine is in a box :(

cheers

T

• Like 1

I've found this whilst in a slack period at work and looking for more info.

Judging by the pictures, there could be some fouling of the cockpit resin and wheel well top surfaces . . .

http://www.razyboard.com/system/morethread-hawker-tempest-eduard-148-beamont-raidenjack-2086023-6231203-0.html

Nick

• Like 1

Not that I did nothing over the weekend on the Tempest as we built a playhouse for our son now I face more work on the Eduatd kit than I thought...

You are not too late Troy and thanks Nick for the link. Now I remember that I saw it before but I completely forgot about it. I did a quick check and it is true - the cockpit interfers with the wheel wells. However I still hope that some ambitious sanding might be enough....

Rene

• Like 1

OK - I did some (a lot actually) sanding yesterday. The wheelwells are as thin as paper on the top. The cockpit was sanded until it collapsed completely but to no avail. I will now sand the fuselage halfs from the inside, so the entire cockpit can be moved up. Still I now doubt this will be enough. If not I will cut the cockpit floor instead of the wheel wells in Nick's link, as this will be less obvioous in the end.

The lower wing to fuselage fit is poor as well: Again the wheel wells are too high, so hours of sanding are required. If I should ever tackle an eduard Tempest again (I will NOT) I would consider to sand the wheel wells from either side - they will be less deep but probably help with the other issues.

A little suggestion for all the happy Eduard Tempest owners: Sell it. ;-)

Concerning the landing light. I found this in a forgotten 4+ Publication on the Tempest:

neu-2_zpsa45d06a0.jpg

It looks round to me, so I will leave this as per kit as compensation for all the sanding.

Rene

Crikey Rene,

I think all the dry fitting on mine did not have the cockpit in place, but from the link Nick posted, the cockpit sits too low. The real thing does not have 'a floor' so that is part of the problem, the chunk of resin 'floor' with attendant corners, and the thickness of the inner edges of the wells.

note, the cut of set of frame work on the real thing is in the wing area

kit resin

3034386262366362.jpg

and the real thing!

mw376-7.png

mw376-6.png

As you will be hard pressed to see that detail without a torch, I'd not get too worried! The real wells have nice thin walls and sit outside the fuselage centre section!

phoca_thumb_l_8efef30d52af4fd398c9633d77

I did sand down the bottom of the wells, and scrape the top edges, the short is to get the fit right right, then worry about the detail!

the 'good' thing about this [for others] is that it forewarns of the problem, and it would not be too hard to replace the inner well sides with thin sheet....before you add lovely pipework detail.

regarding the landing light, the red/green light is only on one side, I made something up to sit behind a new clear cover...I'll quote myself

drilled out and narrowed ejection slots, and the new wing light, the Tempest has a double light behind a clear cover here, look at the Tempest site walk rounds of the V at Hendon, as it's suspended this can be seen well. made with the blunt end of a 3mm drill plunged into heated clear sheet. S7303762.jpg

I used thin clear plastic, the drill bit will make like a shallow dish, which fit in the light aperture, with a lip around it to lay on the inside of the wing.

I think I scraped back the wing thickness, as with the thin cover and the lighting part you need too otherwise you can see thick plastic, the thin clear sheet allows you to clearly see the intricate detailing that you of course are now going to do to make up those two light and their mountings :whistle:

It's quite a tricky detail to replicate.....right, I must do something more useful then obsess over detail. Over to you ;)

HTH

T

• Like 2

This is a public service you are doing here Rene. Forewarned is forearmed!

Very interesting, but rather frustrating for you!

Just out of curiosity [my kit not easily accesible] but how is the fit of the plastic cockpit in comparison?

cheers

T

Good question Troy - I have not checked as the plastic parts are so poor in detail compared to the resin bits that I never tested. But I bet it will be less hassle as the plastic cockpit bottom is where the footrests are, so it does not sit as low as the resin pieces.

Rene

OK - This is a public service announcement:

After some happy felt hours of sanding down the fuselage sides from the inside, the resin cockpit and the wheelwells from the outside (see above) I made as much space for cockpit and wheel wells as possible. Still cockpit and wheel well interfered with each other so further action was needed:

fuselage1_zpsf817b00d.jpg

fuselage2_zps6e59a0c6.jpg

fuselage3_zpsf25cfa7e.jpg

wings_zps82b266e9.jpg

After this success I reassembled the scattered copitparts completely and started to glue up the fuselage (later I remembered I wanted to cut the tail first...).

A word of warning (as if this would be the only one...): Eduard claims the radiator parts to be sanded down, but leave it quite unclear to me why or how much. As I thinned down the wings I needed to relocate the radiator part inside the fuselage. Now that I started to glue up the fuselage halfs I noticed that due to the new position of the radiator part it should have been sanded down much further... Now I have a nasty gap which needs lots of persuasion to close.

Rene

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well it is not aTempest mk I ,but his older brother the Typhoon mk IIB.

IMG_1845.jpgIMG_1840.jpg

Ok of toppic. I should have known better. On to the serious stuff.

Cheers,

• Like 4

Looking great Rene! I'm stealing some of your ideas for my Tiffy. Especially the wheel wells, which look perfect. Though I'm still not sure whether I'll be allowed in the GB as despite having invasion stripes on I'm not sure whether the decals included in the new Airfix kit will qualify :(