Tempest Mk. V W/Cdr Roland P. Beamont 1:48 Eduard & Alley Cat

Thanks guys. I was a bit limited regarding internet lately so there were no updates - sorry. But now everything should work as supposed to do so the following days I will post what has been done so far.

Frankly I misunderstood the issue with the shell ejectors at first, so I did some testing which was useless and in the end I went the easy way (what a relief...):

p11t_zps8fc8c331.jpg

You also see the left wing landing light with my attempt to replicate the bulb in the most easy way. The next pic shows the result a bit better:

p12t_zps0d20651b.jpg

I finally realize that the right wing landing light was also not round on the pic I posted before - so I referred to Troys pic and reshaped the round hole in the right wing. The red and green lights behind this were done like this:

p13t_zps246d88ee.jpg

p14t_zps3e85bd69.jpg

So next time I will post how the AlleyCat tail and the wings were fitted.

Rene

• Like 3

OK here is the promissed update.

The resin tail was installed installed first. You can simply follow the Alley Cat instruction.

p15t_zpsfd039b24.jpg

Next the wings were glued in place starting with the lower wing part (the two upper wing parts were not glued at this point). The wing to fuselage joint was quite bad after I sanded the wings down, so some dry fitting was needed. The upper wing join can be improoved a lot with careful sanding but the lower wing to fuselage join needs more work:

p16t_zps9ebba24a.jpg

p17t_zps1db8b774.jpg

p18t_zpsc151ac32.jpg

I am currently reworking the fit of the long cannon parts - the cannons are molded to a leading edge section which is now too thick after I thinned the wings. More on this later.

Rene

• Like 3

Good work Rene

I have a horrible feeling you possibly thinned the wing down a little too much at the back, leading to the poor fit and the step on the underside.

I suggested adding strips of 10 thou card to the inside of the inside of the upperwings as backing to level out the fitting of the wings, but they may have caused problems with the wheel wells.....

The revised ejector slots look good, and the red/green light is a lovely bit of work, amazing how much work is required for it!

Still, one of those pleasing details when done.

Would the series I cannon be easier to cut from insert, drill holes and add pin to go into existing cannon holes? Kit not to hand so working from memory.

cheers

T

• Like 1

Thanks Troy.

I found the trailing edge a bit thick so I thinned it down too. Maybe this creates more work but in my eyes the end result looks better :shrug:

Concering the Mk I cannon I figured out two options: The way I did and the suggestion you made. Both require some work and I am still not sure which is the better way. The MkI cannons are molded to a piece of leading edge, so you either have to cut the cannons from the leading edge block or use the parts as intended - both require some work. The advantage of my way is: If this does not work I can still choose the other option... The easiest way would be to use some aftermarket Hispano cannons but AFAIK there are none for the Tempest - only for Hurricane and Spitfire which look different.

p19t_zps7a73ca1f.jpg

This is how I did it. I cut and scraped the part to shape with a scalpel and finished with a little sanding:

p20t_zps9e5a0ab3.jpg

Both parts are now shaped and will be rescribed next. After a coat of primer it will be easier to see if it worked but so far I am fine with the result.

Rene

Ahh - the cannons are rather easy compared to the rest :-D

Rene

Looking good Rene

aftermarket for cannons possibly would be the type used on late Spitfires, Mk 22/24

eg http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB48065

QB48065.jpg

which are similar, I can't find a decent close up of the long barrels of the series 1 Tempest at th mo

damn....this leads me astray....LA607, Tempest II prototype had them tho...

phoca_thumb_l_14b5a524baa54f97a64357bb40

But no cannons.....so, maybe, maybe not.

cheers

T

• Like 1

That is already becomming a good looking model. Keep up the good work.

Just like troy said, maybee you could use the Spitfire Mk 22/24 guns from Quickboost. They are maybee not 100% ok,

but they do look the part after seeing the foto from the Tempest II prototype.

Cheers,

I checked the Quickboost Mk 24 cannons (they are diferent from the Mk22) and they look similar in shape. But there are three points I am not sure about. First I the Quickboost cannons seem to end a bit in front of the leading edge - so you cannot simply drill a hole in the leading edge, insert the Quickboost parts and done. You still have the same work as before I suppose. Second the Mk 24 muzzles are protududing the cannon fairing and I am currently not sure if this was the case for the Tempest. If - then the Quickboost parts will be a vast improvement. And finally they have differnt length compared to the ones of the Tempest (I would say):

cannons_zps9b049230.jpg

Rene

• Like 1

Ok I decided to further improove the cannons. I check the internet for useful aftermarket parts. Spend a fortune for nice turned brass parts but none which I could use on the Tempest :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

So after I simply drilled out the cannon muzzles I decided to do more. The muzzles of the kit parts are rather uneven, so I searched some appropiate tubeing in my workshop and luckily found 1.0 mm tubes I bought long ago. The cannon fairings were drilled out and the tube installed as shown below:

p21t_zps2740b271.jpg

The muzzles protrude as long as the kit parts but the picture in my previous post looks as if this too much. I will check and maybe file the tubes a bit down.

Next were the position lights - which are just indicated by a scribed line on the kit parts. After thinking about to simply paint them (I found an article which describes a way to get quite convincing results), I decided to do the usual way by cutting and filling with clear sprue (so now there is also a bit of Airfix inside this build):

p22t_zps692ce69e.jpg

I need to check a second time but I guess there is no more work on the fuselage before painting despite the little filling and sanding arount the cannons.

As I like to place the canopy open, I plan to keep it off until after the painting. Do the camouflage first and the black painted area on the fuselage after the seat after.

Rene

• Like 3

That is some great work you have done on the cannons. I think I will use this method as well on my build in the future.

Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see it with some paint on it.

Cheers,

Lovely work on the cannons Rene

The wingtip lights are good. You can also drill into the back of the clear sprue a little, add some red or green paint, as this makes a good coloured bulb....

like this

phoca_thumb_l_bedabd0069c54bd79cc311444a

the roundel line is a bit wobbly too!

• Like 2

This kit is certainly making you work but the results are looking great at every step. If you don't scare me into selling my kit I'll use your work as a guide and inspiration when it reaches the work bench.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Regarding the navigation lights I will try to break them loose again (I think this will be easy, as the silver paint will not hold as fast to the plastic) and correct them. I had a colour pic which looked as if the perspex itself was coloured red/green. Sure now I cannot find the picture again...

A bit out of the time line but here are some pics of the kit wheels, the late style wheels from Alley Cat (a vast improvement already) and the quite new BarracudaCast early style wheels which are needed for this Tempest which are really worth getting:

p23t_zpsa60b3f35.jpg

The hubs of the BarracudaCast wheels received a coat of Aluminum paint already - I should have done the pic first but was a bit impatient.

Rene

• Like 1

OK - after spending some time on my other GB (Mustang) I decided to rework the position lights yesterday. So first I reworked the port one by cutting it loose with a scalpel, drilling the "bulb", painting it Tamiya clear red, scraping away the silver "reflector" paint I applied before and used interior green instead. Then glued it back in place:

p24t_zps85f048df.jpg

Same on the starboard one except that when I wanted to glue it back in place it flipped away into oblivion... ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

I decided between makeing a new one or searching the one I just lost and decided for the latter. Of course to no avail other than that I cleaned up the workspace a little.

In the end I decided not to make the new light from scratch as before but to use the method I used on my Harrier build (currently on hold in favor of the Tempest and The Mustang): http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961815-1-48-vaac-harrier-t4-heriage-aviation-monogram/

So I used some Milliput to take the shape of the port wingtip with ligth and will push some heated clear plastic into this mold tonight...

Rene

• Like 2

The Tempest is primed and sanded. After that the engraved panels were very subtle so instead of preshading them by airbrush I decided to redo them a bit roughly with pencil. Next I sprayed the Sky tail band as a proof of concept. The panel lines seem to show nicely.

Next I drawed the camo pattern with a brown crayon:

IMG_5927_zps7fa978db.jpg

I will try to spray the camo freehand hoping to get the demarkation rather sharp. If this does not work I will get the blue tack out as done on my Junkers D.I I did early this year (actually this is what I expect):

IMG_3103_zpsc810c398.jpg

Anybody noticed I forgot to add the prop axle before I glued the fuselage shut? Me neither...

Rene

• Like 1

I did the upper camo yesterday and some preshading on the underside in DSG (as the airbrush was loaded with this anyway...). Some blurry pics taken this morning:

IMG_5932_zps7a399a2b.jpg

IMG_5933_zps5dc3c0c5.jpg

Next will be the underside, then the invasion stripes and yellow leading edge bands (I should have done these at first).

Rene

• Like 1

I will have to finish the Tempest (and my Beguinne in the Mustang STGB) by Thursday, as I am on a short trip next weekend. But I finished painting and can start decaling tonight. The camo was done with Humbrol but I used Tamiaya and Revell Aqua for the invasion stripes to speed the drying time up. The yellow was Humbrol again:

p25t_zpsab071469.jpg

p26t_zpsafca5ec1.jpg

The canopy from Rob Taurus was stuffed with blue tack before masking. After masking I seperated windshield and bubble. The blue tack acts as inner mask now. I sprayed the outside interior green, then grey and dark green.

Everything was sealed with two coats of Pledge instead of Humbrol Clear because of the short drying times I gave the camo - I just wanted to avoid any crackling which was reported with Clear when it was released (although I never experienced this myself I did not want to make a first here).

Rene

• Like 3

Ok - decaling took longer than I thought but was finished on the Tempest yesterday - so I thought until I found some bad sivering on some stencil decals:

p27t_zps4716e148.jpg

p28t_zps35f4cc0a.jpg

Eduard gives you some options on the stencils and I have frankly no clue which is one is for which version/period/livery so I just took my chances. I decided to go with the black version of the now badly silvered decal on the starboard side of the cockpit. If I do not get rid of the silvering I will remove the affected decals and replace them with the red versions tonight. Luckily Eduard includes some replacements for the stencils - other manufacturers should follow this.

The decals are printed by Cartograph btw and are very nice but surprisingly thick. The sky letters are too bright - if I had a bit more time I would replace them or cut masks and paint them (usually I scan my decals before I use them just in case - but I did not do so with the Tempest decals... Otherwise paint masks would be much more easy to make).

Now that the decals are on I wish I had taken the extra time to mask the camo with Blu Tac - the demarcation is too soft for a Tempest.

Next will be some paint touch ups, weathering (not much as most Tempest appear in rather good shape on the pics I found) and clear coat. And of couse the smaller bits like U/C, wheels, canopy and prop.

Rene

• Like 1