1/48 Monogram Panther - Bridges at To Ko Ri--**Finished** :)

Mr B

Hi All,

Jumping on the band wagon....( a bit delayed as I wanted to clear the Texan first)after being given the approval by Mozzy to crack on this. I think, it's about time to build it as the decals do not look that good as it is in the box. Hopefully no issues with them when it's time to use.....

So the start .....

pt_1_zpsb6a68596.jpg

wonderful box art ...going to frame it once done

pt_2_zpsb10c9636.jpg

not much to build I guess...looks very straightforward....might go with an inflight config

pt_3_zps5c87026b.jpg

the decals.....I hope they transfer ok.....any advise to prep them before use guys ?

Started with the seat....last night.......next will be painting the internals......which will follow on my next update....

Nice kit, details look good except it's raised lines and the clear parts are a bit on the chucky side.....

rgds

mr b

• Like 2

Looking forward to this. The decals look like they could benefit from some time on the window ledge so that the yellowing disappears. I had this on an old MRCA I built in the LTAT GB. Also Microsol didn't help my old decals at all. In fact it made them worse resulting in a little rippling around the edges.

Good luck.

Tom.

yeah I can imagine brews......

got a slight update ......

pt_side_zps547be460.jpg

Paint is on......going with green as opposed to black......those injection marks will not be visible once done

pt_tub_zps69893c16.jpg

The tub all done too...just need some weathering and a cote of flat

pt_pn_zps351dfb99.jpg

next up the panel......

pt_seat_zps9a425037.jpg

and finally the seat...no belts as I have decided to put Brubacker inside......

Great details for a not so new kit ......Monogram really has good out of box details........even by today's standards.....in my view......base painting Brubacker ...and hope to complete the whole cockpit stuff in a few days.....

Then onto the final assembly and painting .......might just put it on its gear.....too lazy to fiddle around with the gear doors.....

rgds

mr b

• Like 2

pt_3_zps5c87026b.jpg

the decals.....I hope they transfer ok.....any advise to prep them before use guys ?

Started with the seat....last night.......next will be painting the internals......which will follow on my next update....

Nice kit, details look good except it's raised lines and the clear parts are a bit on the chucky side.....

rgds

mr b

Looking forward to this. The decals look like they could benefit from some time on the window ledge so that the yellowing disappears. I had this on an old MRCA I built in the LTAT GB. Also Microsol didn't help my old decals at all. In fact it made them worse resulting in a little rippling around the edges.

Good luck.

Tom.

the sun bleaching does work, though I suggest putting them in a zip bag and taping to south facing window, and keep an eye on them as you might well fade the red.

yellowing decals has been discussed here, sunlight will bleach out the yellow, but as it chemical reaction, it can return, I've de-yellowed them, not used them, and it has returned. But how much you would notice on a Navy Blue plane?

Hi, Mr.B.

Would very strongly recommend one or two coats of Micro Scale's Decal Film is painted on to these decals before you use them. The older decals are, the more likely they are to break up after they've been in water.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Chris.

Thanks for the advise guys much appreciated......build is a bit stalled for now......but I got the cockpit done up.....will post in a bit......

rgds

mr b

Lovely start Mr B.

An aircraft I have to make not least because it was one of Dad's favourite a/c and whenever Bridges at To Ko Ri came on he was strangely transfixed. (See my entry and you'll perhaps fathom why)

I'm looking forward to this immensely and thank you!

Graham

hi graham

thanks ...for the nice words.........hope to do it justice and I will have a look at your build in a bit ....just mucking about with uploading photos via iPhone and photobucket......hope it works.....

image_zpsde09a0ff.jpg

image_zps756ab268.jpg

Progress...got the pit all done and Harry Brubacker is in......had to do some surgery for him to fit.....

Better pictures and progress hopefully soon

rgds

mr b

Its funny how much nicer cockpits look at 1/48 vs 1/72 (or maybe its just how much better your skills are than mine). Have you read the Bridges at To Ko Ri? What about the Hunters?

Keep up the good work Mr. B!

Edited by -Neu-

Thanks guys much appericated......Sadly I have not read the book ........but I remember my Dad sharing the story with me ........when we watched the movie when I was a lad......which I have since watched over and over again.....one of the classics......but a very sad ending......

Neu - Yeah the details are much better ....I guess.....in 1/48 ....and the monogram kits really have them spot on for OOB builds......a mate built the Hasegawa panther and I know how it is.....but luckly you got some great after market stuff to spurce it up.......thanks alot guys....

Anyways got some progress.........tyring to get it done up soon.....

I have glued the halfs together and decided on an inflight display via a stand......so that bit sticking out is to house the stand........

pt_99_zps1e7fc1be.jpg

Took a gamble to hack away on the nicely molded kit parts......to close the doors .....as you can see the fit is iffy.....

pt_91_zpsbc42ca44.jpg

This is how it looks after all sanded.....filled with putty and super glue.....mostly.....there is still some dust when this picture is taken.........next onto the rear gear doors......to clean up....and the various seams left over......

Not too much more to go.......I guess

Happy Modeling chaps......

Best Regards

Mr B

• Like 2

Hi Chaps

got an update. Everything is together and all seams are done...except for the elevators ....next will be the weapons and final scrub down for painting.....

pt_100_zpsf679abae.jpg

pt_102_zpsa9f9e9d3.jpg

You can see Brubacker in the first picture....he needs some rework......but that will be later......

Happy Modeling folks

mr b

Thanks qq....

I got a small update - started the painting process.....done with the shiny bits and next is to mask it up, paint the rear deck green put on the canopies and go navy blue...if all goes well....Hope to finish it by weekend

image_zps3c15fe8f.jpg

image_zps6da5edcd.jpg

So far, this is a very nice stress free build......the fit is good and it's so simple with not many parts and over engineered steps/processes

Happy Modeling folks

rgds

mr b

• Like 1

Nice build. The film used Panthers, presumably because of availability, but they are Banshees in the book. I remember the cover, but not to the extent of unit codes and numbers! (Assuming they were properly represented anyway.)

Thanks guys

much appreciated for the nice words. I was just about to get the thing painted and my compressor failed.....real bummer....so the compressor is off to repair and until it's back....progress will not be forthcoming....

darn compressor, this is the 2nd time it is giving problems .....

happy modeling guys

rgds

mr b

Good news I got my compressor back from the shop. They changed the whole regulator......so I got cracking and getting ready for the painting session.

image_zps1beb850a.jpg

Not to long more I guess.....

happy modeling folks

rgds

mr b