DC-6 into a DC-4

Looks like they removed the none radar nosecone and a stuck radar nose onto that without fitting the re profiled nose section for the usual radar set up.

Some Viscounts were like that, but not so prominent (BEA) as were some ConvairLiners....these two are example of types that had a reprofied nose section, unlike the Herald for example that there was never a radar nose and the radar was stuck onto the removed endpiece giving the thimble appearance.

To be honest I think its how all radar noses looked liked on all DC-4/C-54 fitted with such. All pictures I have seen so far shows this, no matter which nation used it. But it seems that Douglas decided to redesign it for the later DC-6/7 versions

That would mean that the radar is stuck onto a reprofiled nose causing the slightly odd look.

I thought I have seen the proper nose on C-54's...but can't be sure of that.

I don't recall seeing this type on DC 6 and 7 built without radar...but there again, I've never had the cause to study it as such.

Maybe the main question is that the majority of all C-54 ever build was made during WWII and radar wasn't incorporated in the original design. My guess is that a suitable radar was fitted and then the radome was designed to fit the radar first. then it was faired in on the aircraft. But its only a guess

Nice drawings!! However, in my eyes the tail fin looks too much backward swept.

Nils

Hi Nils,

Its optic deceiving since the aircraft tilt slightly backwards.Look much better when the fuselage is level. But I'm not sure if I'm completely happy with the drawings, has received a structural repair manual for the C-54/R5D

There is a ton of measures that I need to cross check, If I do the legwork now it saves me being annoyed later and change it anyway, if I come across something important. :work::pipe::)

I will not say that your drawings are wrong, as I have not done the legwork measuring the aircraft myself. Just telling what my ageing Mk.I eyeballs observe. There are a couple of C-54s at North Weald which could be measured though.

Nils

• Like 1

Wasn't there some talk of a new 1:72 injection molded DC-4 coming soon? I seem to remember the subject being chewed over in the spring. But since then I haven't heard a peep. Anyone know more details, or have I finally shed my last remaining brain cell.....

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, but, although I appreciate the efforts, the high quality DC 4 sounds like something containing many part most modellers will not want or need at a price few will be able to afford.

Some of us won't even live that long and that is the generation that will most want it.

Things are getting too complicated.

I got the impression Ed's tongue was firmly in cheek when making that comment about a new DC-4...?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I've just started the DC4 with the conversion kit RedRoo model and the DC6 Heller.

Be careful, the drawing of the left side isn't at the good scale...!

1cm too short... So you must cut and shorten 31mm before and 17 after the wing.

The total length is writing 397mm and it's right but the drawing makes 385mm long

Lionel

• 2 weeks later...

All 79 DC 4-1009 also had the double rear door and looked very much like C-54, externally at least. But there must have been an internal structual difference as Aviation Trader would only modify C-54 into Carvairs. Channel Airways aircraft was discouraged as it was a DC 4 bought to convert to a Carvair and they kept it as DC4. Under pressure from above they did convert DC 4's for Ansett.

The DC 4 was offered with pressurisation but none were ordered and it was basically that version of the DC 4 fuse, which was in effect a short DC 6 fuse with DC 4 ends that was used in the Canadair DC4M2/C-4 built by Canadair with Douglas assistance.