DUKW (Italeri 1:72)

Here are a couple of pictures of the build to date. I will be using a few more of the larger pieces of etch - even though they are still very small!! . However, as the rest can't be seen by the naked human eye, whilst a piece of wonderful engineering by Eduard, I have drawn the line between sanity and awe!! Hence, the painting may start sooner than expected (especially given with hindsight that 1/35 would have been the more sane option) :badmood:

IMG_20140802_215530_zps65b94a31.jpg

IMG_20140802_215559_zps97e8424b.jpg

Edited by wimbledon99

Hi wimbledon, that is looking good and, despite them being a pain, the PE does add another dimension. Like Arnold said it'll be good to see this with paint on. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Here you go gents - First coat on 'Drab' with some black pre-shade. This is where it gets tougher for me now as I'm not an artist (well, not the correct type of one :drink:;) )and any weathering is now in the hands of the 'trial and error' Gods!! :unsure:

IMG_0007_zpscbc308a8.jpg

IMG_0001_zps75169e0e.jpg

Edited by wimbledon99
  • Like 4

Sweet.....As a basis for further weathering, I'd mist on one or two random highlighting 'clouds' of a couple of very slightly paler versions of the basecoat (I tend to add Buff and/or Dark Yellow/Sand to my OD mix) concentrating on the centre of each major panel.

This helps to add some life to the monotone scheme, provides some extra contrast for the washes and can give the impression of fading if slightly exaggerated on the upper surfaces. This need to be done subtly using paint that is a a little thinner and only slightly paler than the basecoat.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Sgt :)

I have been playing with a couple of washes tonight. The first I applied was a 'sand' wash. I used this on the wheels and hull. I've also applied a black / brown wash over the top half of the model. I'm quite pleased with the results though I'll be adding more washes and detail once this has dried (but am calling it a night for now).

IMG_00092_zps2e4f78cf.jpg

IMG_0006_zpsd775c05a.jpg

Edited by wimbledon99
  • Like 3

Since you've already added the washes, don't add the clouds, try it on another build.....What you have there looks good, build it up gradually and you should have a very convincing result. :thumbsup:

Forgot to say, great work with all that etch, you've done a fine job with it.....It's well worth the effort, but it always sorely tries my patience when I'm doing it and I use half that amount or less! :winkgrin:

• Like 2

Since you've already added the washes, don't add the clouds, try it on another build.....What you have there looks good, build it up gradually and you should have a very convincing result. :thumbsup:

Forgot to say, great work with all that etch, you've done a fine job with it.....It's well worth the effort, but it always sorely tries my patience when I'm doing it and I use half that amount or less! :winkgrin:

Thanks Sgt. Hoping to complete this over the next couple of days and will use my large camera to try to obtain the best photos. Fingers crossed!!

Cheers

Yup I do....Very much! :thumbsup:

The hard work you did with the etch really shows and it's a huge improvement over the already half-decent base kit. :coolio:

Thank you - I'm pleased you like it :) And thank you for the reference material - it was very much appreciated :)

Thats so sweet little bug! :) So many nice details, nice weathering, i ll have to read this thread and watch the photos later again, the dirt and mud looks nice on the wheels and so.. :)

Thank you - Much appreciated :)

• Like 1

Just come from the Gallery, and the finished model is brilliant. The effort you've put in to this has really

come through, a great addition to the GB, nice one,

Sean

• Like 1

Just come from the Gallery, and the finished model is brilliant. The effort you've put in to this has really

come through, a great addition to the GB, nice one,

Sean

Thanks for the nice words Sean - Really appreciated :)