Tunbridge Wells monster

pigsty

Outside the Territorial Army Centre in Tunbridge Wells there's a grey missile on a stand. It has delta wings, a short tail fin, anhedral rear fins, and a strangely rounded nose. Does anyone know what it is? The one it seems most to resemble is the Chinese C-601 (CAS-1 Kraken), but the nose is wrong and the ventral cable duct doesn't seem to be there.

And, of course, whatever it is ... what is it doing by the side of the A26 in Tunbridge Wells?

Just had a look on street view Sean,no idea,was trying to read which unit was based there to see if it had some significance too blurry.could be

some form of supersonic tea urn always the most important piece of kit we ever took with us after the beer tent and kegs.just had another

look they are a bomb disposal unit.

Edited by stevej60

Whenever I've driven past I've always assumed it was someones home built project or a dummy missile of some sort. It looks a bit agricultural, roughly welded plates and not much else.

You could give them a ring Sean. (apologies for the misspelling, but I can't work out how to get the accent over the a.)

Cheers,

Stuart

It does look a lot like a Styx/Silkworm and is painted in the right colour too. See here:

http://www.haijun360.com/news/FJDD/2010/928/10928211734F5F1JJHC8A94B5I03D3K.html

I can't tell if it's the photo but the Silkworm doesn't have anhedral on the main wings, and the one in the picture might. Also it's missing what I assume is a strap-on booster underneath.

The ship I'm building fires these :)

Will

It's definitely Chinese but exactly what I'm not sure, I wasn't interested enough to ask, to us it was just a BIG bit of weaponry that was going to look so much better than any other squadron had. I was there when we were tasked with ripping out the circuitry and getting it reading to go on gate-guard, many a dull drill night spend sanding it down before it could be painted! :mental:

Not too sure where it actually came from, knowing the TA it was probably begged/borrowed/stolen (delete as appropriate) from some MOD storage unit somewhere, we did have a pretty influential CO and QM at the time so no doubt favours were called in and blackmail used. :lol:

• Like 1

It's one of the Silkworms that my old unit found hidden in a warehouse/factory in Basra when we pushed into the city in 2003. The TA unit is a Sapper Bomb Disposal Sqn and as Sappers found it and had the interesting task of removing all the bits that will try to make you very small and splattered all over the place it was brought back as a souvenir other than the traditional stick of rock and kiss me quick hat. ;)

• Like 3

That's a very cool bit of kit... has a definite "1950's Soviet Tractor-Factory" feel about it. The Russkies never worried to much about the look of their equipment and that's why I love so much of their stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Chris.

It's one of the Silkworms that my old unit found hidden in a warehouse/factory in Basra when we pushed into the city in 2003. The TA unit is a Sapper Bomb Disposal Sqn and as Sappers found it and had the interesting task of removing all the bits that will try to make you very small and splattered all over the place it was brought back as a souvenir other than the traditional stick of rock and kiss me quick hat. ;)

Knew it come from somewhere interesting, for quite a small squadron (579) and regiment (101) we a quite a few guys with boots on the ground when there was the push over the border and after to mop up the munitions caches left behind.

Whenever I've driven past I've always assumed it was someones home built project or a dummy missile of some sort. It looks a bit agricultural, roughly welded plates and not much else.

You could give them a ring Sean. (apologies for the misspelling, but I can't work out how to get the accent over the a.)

Cheers,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

You can get the fada/acute accent by holding down AltGr and typing the vowel.

Joseph

Well, yes, but I don't mind, really. So long as no-one spells it with a G I'm happy.

Hi Stuart,

Joseph

I did not know that - I've learned two interesting facts from this thread now :)