Airfix 1/24 Hurricane

Hi folks,here,s a few days progress.Cockpit assembled and painted and a few extra details added from photos on the "net" mainly a bit of

etra wiring etc,the seat is not fixed yet as I have to think of reproducing the harness.Engine bearers fixed,dials/gauges painted and a last

shot to show the warped wheel bay looks bad but an easy fix,thanks for dropping in.SDC11566_zpsdacad1d0.jpgSDC11563_zps409a2d34.jpgSDC11561_zps9c3b6a2d.jpgSDC11573_zps5be4fa9c.jpgSDC11568_zps45f99656.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

The cockpit looks excellent with all the framing. I do love these old 1/24 kits.

Tom.

Yeah me too! I just haven't got the space for them!

All the details are looking good!

Yeah me too! I just haven't got the space for them!

All the details are looking good!

Space worries me a bit too. I have the 1/24 Spitfire, 109, Stuka and Mustang as well as the Harrier GR3 in the stash. My place is going to resemble an airshow apron with all those 1/24 kits :banghead:

• Like 2

I built this kit a few years ago and it is a fantastic kit to build, I added some extra bits to port side of the engine and left that access panel off, some bits of wire etc in the cockpit and harnesses, I also used the spare spinner from the MkV Spitfire kit. that was about it, The decals cracked up a bit. The Spitfire built up very nicely too and they do look good next to one another on the shelf.

Good luck with your build

All the best
Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge

I built this kit a few years ago and it is a fantastic kit to build, I added some extra bits to port side of the engine and left that access panel off, some bits of wire etc in the cockpit and harnesses, I also used the spare spinner from the MkV Spitfire kit. that was about it, The decals cracked up a bit. The Spitfire built up very nicely too and they do look good next to one another on the shelf.

Good luck with your build

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris,My eldest gave me his unbuilt Vb a while back and It,s not as nice as this kit in some areas,I have seen the MK1 boxing online at

£29 from King Kit and another pre owned site has the Big beautiful doll,P51 for £31! Very tempted.

Hi folks,that,s it for today being my day off had a good couple of hours on this and the mustang throughout the day,just tried a dry run to see what

problems lay ahead,oh dear it,s going to be a battle of wills! ,the shame is that the side panels are a very poor fit so I think they will have to be

glued in place,the top cover I think with a little trial and error might be able to remain loose.Time will tell.SDC11588_zps91778b6d.jpg

• Like 4

if you get rid of the central supporting framework that you can see in the above pic, and replace with a thinner loop of plasticard, i think you fill find there is a better fit on the sidepanels. I managed this on mine. Have a bit of a play before giving up hope on them. Top cover should fit ok(ish)

• Like 1

Hi folks,here,s the cockpit and engine firmly fixed into place,the watchword of this kit is patience! glue something and leave it at least a day to set

and put it back in the box when your stress levels rise,nothing wrong with the kit it,s just the size and complexity of it.Still a thoroughly enjoyable

build and what a testament to the Airfix staff of the day that put it into production.SDC11595_zps746f6ece.jpg

• Like 3

Following this with interest, looking good so far. I've an old Airfix 1:48 in the stash, bought it for a fiver. Relying on you mentioning the colour references

Thanks Ian,love the 1/48 Airfix hurricane especially the recent boxing with a couple of very nice schemes and must have built a good half dozen since its

release,I usually use Vallejo khaki and olive as I spray the base colours and hand paint the camouflage on my 1/72 kits but this one will have to be

sprayed so I am going to try Humbrols acrylics so when I get them I will post their numbers.Here,s a couple 1/72 builds using Vallejo paints.SDC10424_zpse017695b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys,I know this kit can and has been turned into a masterpiece with AM detailing but I want to keep it OOB using the details included

so I will add the engine and at least one of the open gun bays but I know the side and top engine covers can be a poor fit so I will cross that

bridge when I come to it as far as leaving them as removable or not, also as being a brush painter as far as my 1/72 scale camouflage is

concerned I will have to take a new approach on this kit Wolwe,a good photo of the engine in situ would be great if possible should get a start

next week after the Canberra is finished.

Share your sentiments. When I built this many years ago, I left the engine out after a dry fit showed how poor the fit of the cowlings was with the engine in place. Left the gun bays open though. I also brush paint my models. This one is no problem. What I did was use my time honoured method. I drew the camouflage pattern on to the Dark Earth main colour with a soft pencil. Then, I painted the green areas with a flat brush before tidying up with a pointed brush. Very simple as it isn't a complex pattern. Had the added bonus that I didn't have to waste any time faffing about with masking (except the upper/lower surface demarcation.

One other thing to watch. The undercarriage is very nicely detailed but rather flimsy for the weight of the model. It will wobble a bit when placed on its u/c. I ended up using thin steel rod in place of part of the retraction jacks - just to give a bit of extra support. Not accurate (not that it matters to me ) but, being underneath the model it wasn't that obvious. Enjoy your build.

Allan

Thanks Allan, the more I handle the kit the smaller it seems if that makes sense? so I may go down the flat brush route as I hate masking with a passion.

I will watch out for the U/C when I get to it.

My U/c was ok, but the tail wheel is a headache and keeps breaking, so make sure to reinforce that properly, ideally with metal rod.

Dug out this photo, partially completed, showing how I cut away some of the supporting frame -

image_zpsa44d7da0.jpg

• Like 3

That's a good point about the tail wheel!!I forgot to mention that one!! You're absolutely right. Couldn't tell you HOW many times I broke that!!

Allan

Thanks Allan, the more I handle the kit the smaller it seems if that makes sense? so I may go down the flat brush route as I hate masking with a passion.

I will watch out for the U/C when I get to it.

Makes perfect sense! If you've EVER brush painted something the size & weight of a 1/72 B-52, you really begin to appreciate that feeling. Griffter also makes a good point about the tail wheel. It's very weak. Your model is coming along very nicely. Personally, I think there's a lot of satisfaction to be had using your own skills & a modicum of simple scratch building to enhance a model.

Allan

Thanks Ian,love the 1/48 Airfix hurricane especially the recent boxing with a couple of very nice schemes and must have built a good half dozen since its

release,I usually use Vallejo khaki and olive as I spray the base colours and hand paint the camouflage on my 1/72 kits but this one will have to be

sprayed so I am going to try Humbrols acrylics so when I get them I will post their numbers.Here,s a couple 1/72 builds using Vallejo paints.SDC10424_zpse017695b.jpg

Three nice examples. I'm starting to get into using Vallejo paints, 'though I must admit Tamiya acrylics are my favourite, they just airbrush beautifully. No good for brushing mind, hence the Vallejo, I do have some Humbrol acrylics but not tried airbrushing with them. Going to continue watching this build, so keep up the good work. ✈️

• Like 1