Airfix 1/24 Hurricane

A good move to get a compressor. By way of advice, try to get one with a moisture trap and a built in air tank. The moisture trap is self explanatory, but the compressor will charge up the air tank (if fitted) to a constant pressure so you get a consistent spray.Ian, you just beat me to it...

Yep, the built in air tank is the way to go. I speak from experience, my budget compressor is good but it's always on when spraying.

So I have to regret not going one better.

So Steve, push SWMBO a little bit harder and go for a future proofed model with a moisture trap, built in air tank and a regulator to vary the air pressure. Mine was £80 from my LMS. You won't need another one ever...

Cheers,

Tom.

Hi Tom,Got a nice Revell Compressor set with a gravity feed airbrush from my LMS so no more cans of air! The scene in the Battle of Britain has

Park wearing white overalls,his Hurricane was in a standard finish,however there was a white finish applied later in the war heres Airfix,s kit I built

last yearSDC10095_zps4e98cada.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Tom,Got a nice Revell Compressor set with a gravity feed airbrush from my LMS so no more cans of air! The scene in the Battle of Britain has

Park wearing white overalls,his Hurricane was in a standard finish,however there was a white finish applied later in the war heres Airfix,s kit I built

Glad you got your compressor. Hope it serves you well.

Your Hurricane as built last year looks stunning. I love it with the little bit of camo showing on the nose. Very impressive mate.

Tom.

Thanks Steve, knew white was somewhere, I saw the Battle of Britain first time round, so rusty memory.

That Hurricane looks good and the current one is as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,back to work on this one,got a new compressor and airbrush and after practicing on a couple of 1/72 kits I had half built that turned out well,

I thought the time was right to start spraying this beast so here,s the under surface colour applied.I have never pre-shaded due to the small scale I

normally do and the limitations of my original airbrush but this one is capable of decent thin lines so tomorrow I am going to give it a go.All the rest

of the sub-assemblies are ready so I should get some progress on her now.thaks for your interest.SDC11784_zpscb74e771.jpg

• Like 1

I know I'm a bit late joining this but if you had wanted to open up the panels behind the cockpit I did this in my 1:32 build last year and my build thread (here) cotnains my research photos such as this:

IMG_5066.jpg

along with build photos like this:

DSCF7310.JPG

DSCF7300.JPG

and the RFI thread is here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935554-132-revell-hurricane-iic-5-sqn-burma-1944-45/

Your build is looking great - mine was the old Revell Hurricane which although was boxed as a IIC was in fact the old Mk 1 with cannons stuck on the wing, which meant the nose was wrong, the panel lines on the wings were wrong and overall was a rubbish kit :) Look like you've overcome the age of the kit in this build!

• Like 2

Hi guys,not great and the picture does,nt show the full effect but here,s my first attempt at pre-shading.Still happy with it for my standard and by the

time a wash is applied after glossing I think it will at least break up the large underside.next step the earth coat so real progress at last.SDC11791_zps7dcee8ef.jpg

Hi folks, a bit more progress today, got a couple of coats of earth on the upper surfaces then after all the panels were over painted in a much darker

brown a couple of thinned coats of the earth again,because of the size of the B****y thing I have to take photo,s from a fair distance so the second

photo does not show do the shading very well but it looks better than the plain earth,these lines are mostly recessed so I will apply a wash as well.

She has tonight had her under carriage super glued in place so leaving it well alone to bond.SDC11814_zps1423c8e0.jpgSDC11817_zps2594d463.jpg

• Like 3

Looking great this one Steve,.....I`ve just caught up with it and you are doing a superb job,......keep it up! Which scheme have you decided upon?

If you are doing LK-A then I don`t think that it had red flashes behind the spinner until after the B of B when it was painted overall black (which is another scheme possible with the kit decals) and the majority of photos posted earlier of VY-Q actually show an earlier aircraft fitted with a DH prop rather than the kit decal option which had a Rotol as per the kit and as mentioned, a slightly different style of `Q'.

Waching with great interest as a fellow Hurricane nut,

Cheers

Tony

PS- Here is my attempt, converted into a Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib a few years ago, before I was aware that most of the interior was painted silver! The DH propeller came from the Spit Vb kit;

24thHurri2.jpg

If you are weathering your model remember not to add chipped metal around the cockpit coaming as this was in fact wood covered with canvas,......this has spoilt the look of many a decent model. The canopy runners were metal but noting else until you reach the side panels.

TTFN,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Thanks Tony,funny enough I have just found your Revell 1/32 build today so will be watching that with interest.I am finishing her as LK-A so no red

flashes as far as weathering Just minimum I can do an OK job in 72 scale but not clever enough on this beast.

Good choice Steve,......I love the artwork on the escape panel and the large roundel looks really nice too,......this was a very hard worked airframe having fought in the Battle of France, Battle of Britain and the Blitz!

Keep up the good work,

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Very very nice Steve.

I really like seeing your development with lots of different things like pre-shading and the air-brush.

Still amazed at the large scale you've taken on and I have to say I'm really impressed with what you've done so far.

Got me glued to the thread bigtime!

Best of luck for the rest of the build.

Chocks away!!

• Like 1

Hiya Steve and my apologies to Troy,

I was wrong when I said earlier that Ian Gleeds`s P2798/ LK-A which has `Figaro' on the door didn`t have red trim behind the spinner because a photo on page 42 of Ian Allen`s Hurricane at War part 2,.... which shows a right hand view of this aircraft does appear to show a sash around the fairing behind the spinner,.....which continues into a short triangular trim under the exhausts! There are also some lines on the rudder too which may be pale blue and could be the start of the Sqn Ldr`s pennant worn on the rudder when it was a black painted night fighter.

There is every possibility that the aircraft also flew without this trim earlier,.....but I thought that I`d set the record straight and apologise to Troy! My scanner isn`t playing ball at the moment or else I would have sent you a copy of the pic,....hopefully if you are a real Hurri nut you`ll have the book,,

Cheers

Tony

Hi folks,well like Bambi she is up on her very flimsy legs and I got a couple of coats of green on today so I reckon one or two more and I can start

to think of how to gloss and what to use.thanks for checking in.SDC11822_zps83811291.jpgSDC11820_zpsef59c70f.jpg

• Like 3

Thats great Steve,......have you sprayed this freehand or used masks? Either way it looks as if you`ve been using an airbrush for years,.....well done mate,

You are going to get hooked on large scale model aeroplanes,....I can just tell!!?

Cheers

Tony

Thats great Steve,......have you sprayed this freehand or used masks? Either way it looks as if you`ve been using an airbrush for years,.....well done mate,

You are going to get hooked on large scale model aeroplanes,....I can just tell!!?

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony yes I took a risk and sprayed free hand.Just about got away with it! I could get hooked on these large scale kits but maybe 1/32 got the new

Spitfire from revell next on the to build list but would love a crack at the Airfix P51 Big beautiful doll in 1/24 seen it for less than £24 on one site.