1/72 AZ Model Messerschmitt Bf-109 G-14

Hello,

and thanks for your interest in this topic.

This is the third Bf-109 I've built in a row, this time it's AZ Model's new Bf-109 G-14.

In my opinion, this kit is on par with the Fine Molds kit in terms of accuracy and detailling, but sells for less than half the price.

Assembly is easy, with good engineering and flawless surfaces. Only a little filler was used for the wing/fuselage joint and on the fuslage halves.

I added Brengun photo-etch set, Rob Taurus vacu canopy (designed for Revell's Bf-109 G-10, but suitable for this model as well) and Eagle Cals decals from "Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-14s (EC72-43)".

The model was painted RLM74/RLM75/RLM76 with Gunze/Mr.Hobby acrylics, sealed with Alclad matt varnish, and weathered with artist's oils.

The markings represent "Yellow 10" from 3./JG77, Euskirchen (North Rhine-Westphalia), Germany, 1945.

I have not found any photographic reference for this machine, relying on the decal sheet instructions only.

The spinner spiral comes from that decal sheet, too.

The pitot tube is a metal item from Fine Molds accessories, and seems to be a little bit too long!

All rudders have been re-positioned to add interest.

Photographs by Wolfgang Rabel of IGM Cars & Bikes.

a_DSC9085_zps15fdb0eb.jpg

a_DSC9086_zps3b6986a5.jpg

a_DSC9088_zpscf4d8ebc.jpg

a_DSC9089_zpsad470ec3.jpg

a_DSC9091_zps445406b7.jpga_DSC9090_zps5ca215f7.jpg

a_DSC9092_zpsa79bf04e.jpg

a_DSC9094_zps1fae8e26.jpg

a_DSC9095_zpsae7bf900.jpg

a_DSC9096_zpsbd092cb5.jpg

a_DSC9097_zps1f6de85c.jpg

a_DSC9098_zpsed1431ec.jpg

a_DSC9100_zpsd98b6557.jpg

a_DSC9101_zpsace3e59e.jpg

a_DSC9102_zps49619e98.jpg

a_DSC9103_zps18c4d2c6.jpg

a_DSC9105_zpsbef0f391.jpg

a_DSC9106_zpscd55272c.jpg

a_DSC9107_zpsbca562ad.jpg

a_DSC9108_zps4dd0effe.jpg

a_DSC9112_zps4e789aae.jpg

a_DSC9111_zps787fce88.jpg

a_DSC9110_zps813d581c.jpg

Hope you like it!

With kind regards from Vienna, Austria

Roman Schilhart

• Like 18

Absolutely stunning and beautifully photographed.

How did you do the spinner? Was that masked and sprayed. I have a 1:72 FW190 that might need the same treatment and I'm too scared to try!

Absolutely stunning and beautifully photographed.

How did you do the spinner? Was that masked and sprayed. I have a 1:72 FW190 that might need the same treatment and I'm too scared to try!

The spiral on the spinner is from the Eagle Cals decal sheet.

(You need good nerves, a steady hand and lots of decal setting solution to make it fit.)

• Like 1

Nice job Roman. I am building one at the moment and am having a terrible time with the fit, I have had to resort to filler on almost every joint and all that lovely detail is disappearing. I used the tall tailfin and there is a horrid joint just above the tailplanes.

So a very well done to you for turning out such a fine model.

Duncan B

Great finish on that Gustav! It does look 1:48th.

Now for some bad news…

It is true that the ailerons on the 109 move together when the flaps are lowered. However, you have positioned them offset in the wrong direction – upwards! They should droop some 11 degrees to increase lift, not act as air brakes. ;-)

As for the rest – a beautiful build.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Great finish on that Gustav! It does look 1:48th.

Now for some bad news…

It is true that the ailerons on the 109 move together when the flaps are lowered. However, you have positioned them offset in the wrong direction – upwards! They should droop some 11 degrees to increase lift, not act as air brakes. ;-)

As for the rest – a beautiful build.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for Feedback, Joachim.

I took inspiration from this picture, on which the ailerons seem to be 'up'.

However, I do now understand that one aileron should be UP while the other (not visible in the Picture) should be DOWN.

Thank you for pointing out this error.

I'm always surprised what major details I miss while concentrating on minor ones, like the breaklines on the undercarriage or throttle levers in the cockpit...

I'll slap my head twice for this stupid mistake.

SLAP! SLAP!

109_k4_zps59f5e80f.jpg

Edited by Roman Schilhart
  • Like 2

However, I do now understand that one aileron should be UP while the other (not visible in the Picture) should be DOWN.

Thank you for pointing out this error.

I'm always missing some important detail or other, which is why I personally always find it really useful to post pics of 'completed' builds. The other thing I'd like to point out on your excellent build and finish is the lack of "toe-out" on the Bf 109 main wheels - the wheels on the real thing are not parallel to the longitudinal (roll) axis, but instead they slightly point outwards.

Brilliant job !

Nice job Roman. I am build one at the moment and am having a terrible time with the fit, I have had to resort to filler on almost every joint and all that lovely detail is disappearing. I used the tall tailfin and there is a horrid joint just above the tailplanes.

So a very well done to you for turning out such a fine model.

Duncan B

Duncan,

I am quite surprised to hear you're struggling with the fit, I encountered no serious issues at all.

The only area that needed attention was the wing/fuselage fit (solved with a piece of very thin stretched sprue inserted) and on the underside where the fuselage meets the back side of the wings.

However, I think it's a lovely kit with lots of detail for this scale and I hope you will finish yours to your satisfaction!

Looking forward to see your finished model.

Meanwhile I will reposition one of the ailerons on mine.

New pictures will be added when this task is completed.

• Like 1

Duncan,

I am quite surprised to hear you're struggling with the fit, I encountered no serious issues at all.

The only area that needed attention was the wing/fuselage fit (solved with a piece of very thin stretched sprue inserted) and on the underside where the fuselage meets the back side of the wings.

However, I think it's a lovely kit with lots of detail for this scale and I hope you will finish yours to your satisfaction!

Looking forward to see your finished model.

Meanwhile I will reposition one of the ailerons on mine.

New pictures will be added when this task is completed.

I had issues with the gun cowling as the fuselage needed spreading by about 1mm each side using cut sprue to avoid a step and then the resulting gap had to be filled as the real thing doesn't have a panel line there (see your photo of the wrecked K4 for confirmation). Then the joint for the tall tail fin left a gap and a step between the parts in a very awkward place to fill and sand, the horizontal tailplanes left a huge gap too. The wing gap at the root wasn't too bad but underneath needed filling.

The other thing that concerns me about the whole range of AZmodel Gustavs is that some of the defining items on the various models have been missed, for example the sealed headsheild armour of the G1 & G5 and the photographic equipment for the G8. Some of the decal options are dubious too.

The detail is very nice but the Finemolds kits falls together without any issues at all so is still my favourite late 1/72 109 kit.

I'll be posting photos when it's finished and if I can get near to your finish I'll be happy.

Duncan B

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, the position of the aileron corrected.

I removed the right rudder, re-positioned it without damaging the paintwork (much to my relief).

Lesson learned: always check references twice and - use your brain!

Thanks to all readers for pointing out that ridiculous mistake of mine....

a_DSC9336_zpsefdf3c49.jpg

a_DSC9337_zps0a033ebd.jpg

a_DSC9338_zps7571efef.jpg

a_DSC9339_zpse242882b.jpg

a_DSC9341_zps523418cd.jpg

a_DSC9342_zps90e97c6b.jpg

a_DSC9343_zpsc74685a5.jpg

a_DSC9345_zpsa5f1bdea.jpg

Edited by Roman Schilhart
  • Like 3

Very nicely done, I'd thought it was a 1/48 build there.

Kudos on the fine details and the photography! The luftwaffe mottle and detailing is just right and the photography really shows off the beautiful lines of the Messerschmitt well.

A first class build. Don't worry about the ailerons, I built the Stratocruiser on this page and i am quite pleased with it but i bet i can beat you for for stupid errors and missing things out. Your overall finish is clean, sharp and crisp.I bet the spinner was good fun, well done with that. One of my constant problems is not getting canopies clean and crisp yours has turned out exelent. A real pleasure to see this top class model, well done thanks Lindan.