Italeri 1:72 SR-71 Blackbird

Good day all

This is my version of the SR-71 Blackbird. It is the Italeri kit, I finished it sometime ago but just not got round to putting it up. Built OOB with a couple extras such as blanks and harnesses. I tried a bit of negative highlighting with the grills, it shows them up but not too sure, what do you guys think? I first built this version many years ago but tried to glue decals onto a matt surface and just ruined the whole thing. Did it properly this time with copious amounts of Micro sol to get them to conform to the corrugation. I rescribed the RAM detail on the trailing edges which was very laborious. Model master acrylics sprayed on with my airbrush. Overall i'm quite happy with it.

100_3066_zps3dc8a49e.jpg

100_3067_zpsa2384570.jpg

100_3070_zps556ce803.jpg

100_3069_zps09a8f158.jpg

100_3071_zps44ff8353.jpg

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 11

Great job - looks really nice.

Chris

That is lovely, the finish is great, like the man said above the all-over black is hard to pull off.

Personally I would have done it with the canopies down, I just think it increases the air of evilness...

Thanks all for the positive encouragement! I was impressed with the black. I laboured with enamals for too long due to being scared of anything else but hated the clean up and smell. I even tried Halfords which are still good but also smell. When I moved over to Canada my enamels started to dry up and was forced to seek an alternative and tried model master acrylics and am glad i did. They are so easy to use and clean up is very nice and clean! The black is the interior black which is slightly off black, glossed for decalling and then matted over. Like I said I am now a convert! I did try to do a bit of fuel streaking but messed it up luckily very recoverable.

That is lovely, the finish is great, like the man said above the all-over black is hard to pull off.

Personally I would have done it with the canopies down, I just think it increases the air of evilness...

I wanted to do this but lost the front windscreen. I made another out of acetate but just couldnt get a satisfactory fit between the two so took the easy option :D

Great finish,even now it still looks like an aircraft from the future, the intake blanks really set it off, nice touch, where did you find them?

Really nicely done model, congrats

They are just knocked up from plasticard using google as a reference!

Cheers now

Bob

I'm building one of these myself at the moment as an A-12 , didn't want to go down the black route really . I'm having no end of trouble with the joins underneath though , shouldn't worry about them as they will never be seen anyway . I hope it turns out half as good as yours , the finish is stunning . They do still look like an aircraft from the future .

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you should never paint anything either black or white , just close to those colours .

I'm building one of these myself at the moment as an A-12 , didn't want to go down the black route really . I'm having no end of trouble with the joins underneath though , shouldn't worry about them as they will never be seen anyway . I hope it turns out half as good as yours , the finish is stunning . They do still look like an aircraft from the future .

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you should never paint anything either black or white , just close to those colours .

I know what you mean with those joins, as I was rescribing the RAM pattern I just filled them with loads and loads of filler (and i mean lots!) and sanded it to death, If you want to keep the raised detail it will be very difficult to deal with.

I did use to use black all the time (humbroll 33 and Halfords) but I have now vered away as the it does make a huge difference. Next try out will be the white on an airliner as I cant restock Halfords appliance white any more. We shall see!

Cheers now

Bob

My plan is to spray the triangles back on Bob as it will be a titanium finish on the A-12 . Got another kit sitting here that will be built as the SR-71 so i will be looking at this build to see how it's done . They look like a quick build in the box , hardly any parts to the kit .