A drivers tale..

Ray S

Hello all! I have just come back from visiting my pop and he told me a funny tale. Now, it may be that you had to be there to find it funny, so apologies if it is not. But first, some background.

My Grandfather (my Mum's dad) served in the first world war on HMS Dreadnought and in the submarine E-23 (as he got more pay in subs), and I was able to get a kit (or three) of HMS Dreadnought. Every time I go over to see Mum and Dad, I am always rabbiting on about building the ship in tribute for Granddad. A little while ago, I wondered if my pop wondered why I did not build anything he was in/on. Now, he was in the RAF, but was not an aircraft jockey or anything, but he did drive a number of vehicles, as I did recall him mentioning way back in the past. Could I remember what he drove? No. Anyway, today I asked, and I found out. Bedford QL's, Fordsons, landrovers, etc.

Now to his tale. We were talking about the Bedford QL, and he mentioned about some bigwig who wanted to drive one of these things somewhere or other, then complained when he got there the gearbox crunched a lot. 'Did you double de-clutch?' my dad asked. 'I know how to drive these things, get me another I can drive back' (censored to conform to non-swearing rules) he was told. So pop got another, and crunch crunch went the gears as know-all drove off.

Next thing dad said, was that when they were out in Egypt, they used to drive the QL with their feet poking out of the windows (front), as they could be hinged open, and as the truck could be driven without the clutch being used (when you knew the revs required to change gear clutchlessly) and it also had a hand throttle too, it was quite possible to do so. I still cannot get the image out of my head of a truck being driven with the drivers feet hanging out the windows!

I now want to get a kit of a QL and do that scene - but is there one out there?

Sorry if I have rambled a bit, all the best, Ray

When I was in the Australian Army in the early 1980s we were using a locally produced International Truck, which had hinged windscreen windows.

REL%2F10134.JPG

It also had a crash gear box and was as hot as hell in summer with cab temperatures well over 45 degrees C as you sat on top of the engine with it between the driver and the co-driver. I often remember driving with the bonnet open, the engine cover removed and the windows open to get sufficient cooling air through the radiator. I can't remember if it had a hand throttle though. Never drove it with my feet sticking out the window either (the steering wheel would have gotten in the way) but I remember sticking my feet out when co-driver. Used to also stand up through the air-observation roof hatch to get cool sometimes.

A bit off topic, but when I was just a kid, my Dad bought an old International truck to use on the farm. It was a late 50's modeland about a 2 tonner, if I remember correctly. Anyway, it also had a hand throttle. I got to drive it a couple of times around the hayfield while it was being loaded with baled hay. The hand throttle allowing me to control the speed as I was too short to reach the gas pedal.

Chris

How I wish someone would do an ACCO in 35th scale

You're not the only one. I'm surprised some enterprising resin maker hasn't stepped forward and made one. I've seen online references to one in 1/43 which isn't much use (and it's no longer available).