Lockheed P-38J 'California Cutie'

Time sure flies, when you're having fun. :winkgrin:

So here today - 5 days before 'take-off' I present my topic for this Group Build.

Hasegawa's 1/48 P-38J w/Eduard etc and Kagero decals:

P-38JGenesis_zps7ed19320.jpg

I'll be starting this on friday the 6'th of june and I be having 'The Longest Day' on the telly as further inspiration! :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to this!

Cheers - and may your glue never dry out! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 4

So this is it! - The 6'th of june!

First of all my thoughts go out to all who fought for a free Europe that day! May we never forget!

Next up is that I have had a look at the decals.

The decals from Kagero look wonderfull, but they only provide the individual aircraft markings, but not any stenciling or stars'n bars.

They will either have to come from the kit or elsewhere.

26c44c60-f2b8-4e43-925a-06d16331d366_zps

So I had a look at the Hasegawa decals, and while I plan on using the stenciling etc, the stars'n bars are not good - they are more cream-coloured than white:

DSCN8795_zpse8fea477.jpg

As you can see Hasegawa is fully capable of producing pure white on their decals, so why not on the stars'n bars? :mental:

So I raided a decalsheet from Sky Models - and they ARE white! :thumbsup:

DSCN8797_zps4ab5e613.jpg

So this is the start! Now all I have to do, is wait for my wife to bring home some paint from the LHS! Wish me luck! ;)

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 1

Hi, Hans.

I agree with you... the yellow colouring on the main markings does seem very odd indeed. It might be worth putting the decals in a window that get lots of sun for a week (??). Having said that, there are correct, white markings on the sheet, so maybe that wouldn't be the answer.

Cheers.

Chris.

Hi again! Two updates in one day!

My wife has brought back the paint (yes the right ones) and I'm ready to start for real....or am I? :hmmm:

DSCN8799_zpscfdfffcd.jpg

Well - there's always something isn't there? :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 3

The reference:

DSCN8801_zps56b5b9fe.jpg

Which just happens to have a lot of colourpictures of 'California Cutie' albeit be it of a restored plane, but nonetheless! - I take it as a token! :thumbsup:

In all honesty I couldn't remember it was featured - in all, all honesty I couldn't remember I had the book in the first place - my age is beginning to show! :clif:

Anyway - I have given the etchings a coat of primer:

DSCN8803_zps31c45035.jpg

So now that that's taken care off I about to start building for real! :boxing: (Allthough I don't hope it'll be a fight! :winkgrin: )

Hans J

Hi again! Two updates in one day!

My wife has brought back the paint (yes the right ones) and I'm ready to start for real....or am I? :hmmm:

DSCN8799_zpscfdfffcd.jpg

Well - there's always something isn't there? :winkgrin:

Hans J

Looks like a D Day beach . I think you need a beach master to get the paints off the beach and the glue needs to find its unit.

• Like 1

Looks like my work space. :-)

Nice choice btw. I buid and finished (a fact so rare I always point on) an Academy P-38 with this nose art. I used Superscale sheet and a self printed noseart to replace the comic version from Superscale. My then 2 year old liked it as much as I did and now it waits for mayor repair...

Will follow with interest :popcorn:

Rene

Ahhh..!! Weekend at last! :yahoo: And what a weekend we have in store!

Lot's of modelling - lot's of Le Mans! :thumbsup: Can he do it? - Can Tom Kristensen celebrate his 10'th victory come sunday?

I don't know, but I'll admit it looks a steep climb for him this year! - Alas! - we'll just have to wait till sunday at 3 o'clock!

I'm going to follow the race as much I can, but I have a small problem - my workdesk faces away from my tv! :(

So it'll be 'Modelling interupted'! ;)

Anyway - here's a small update:

DSCN8804_zps81b01d86.jpg

When dry I'll paint it interior green, and here's the paint I'll use:

DSCN8805_zps5d49ae24.jpg

OK - then! Have a real nice weekend! :D

Hans J

• Like 1

As opposed to my expectations I didn't get much modelling done yesterday.

We were invited to my father-in-law's 85'th birthday so that took priority - and the evening was largely spend following LeMans. :popcorn:

As I am writing this Tom Kristensen is in the lead! Can he do it? We'll know at 3 o'clock!

Anyway here's some update:

DSCN8814_zps86d3075d.jpg

DSCN8815_zpsd1919811.jpg

DSCN8816_zps11a02f3e.jpg

DSCN8817_zpsebdf9454.jpg

We're getting there! :pilot:

Hans J

• Like 3

Ahh..another weekend! :thumbsup: I don't know about you guy's, but it seems as if work drains me of energy and thus comes in the way of some modelling. Well times being as they are at the moment I shouldn't complain and anyway come next friday I'll be starting my annual 3 weeks summervacation! (with pay!) :thumbsup: So there'll be plenty of time for some modelling then.

So here's a little update:

DSCN8818_zps5e987e7c.jpg

DSCN8819_zpsc0b6e464.jpg

Cheers for now :bye:

Hans J

• Like 3

I may be mistaken but seem to recall that the wheel wells of the P-38 were painted neutral grey. Or was it just the inside of the u/c doors??? If I do not forget I will check later but thought you might want to know before you close anything up.

Rene

First of all a big thanks to you all - it's a bit more fun building this way! :winkgrin:

To Rene: I looked it up in my main reference - Squadron Signals Walk Around no 30 and it says that "Lockheed painted the gear bays and door interiors Chromate Yellow Primer for anti-corrosion protection" and then goes on to show pictures of wheel-wells painted and unpainted! :winkgrin: One just can't win! I guess the planes left the factory painted and during overhauls they were left unpainted or painted grey or interior grren or Zinc chromate or... :winkgrin:

Thanks for the heads-up, though - it's always good to be made aware of something like this! Keeps me thinking! :thumbsup:

Hans J

Hans - I certainly forgot to check yesterday (I seem to recall I painted the wheel wells of my California Cutie in zinc chromate green and repainted them in NG later because I read that this was the corerct colour). But this link may be of help - of more confusion :winkgrin: :

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1279248380/1279306068/P-38+-L+Wheel+Wells

So take your choice. It will be hard to proove you wrong I suppose no matter if you decide for yellow, green, grey or silver (though the latter one seems least likely).

Rene

• 3 months later...

Hi! :)

I've been a bit quiet on this build, but I haven't been able to build anything the last couple of months because of a strained back. :(

The irony of it is that I strained it sorting out my kits in the attic! These kits just don't want to be built! ;)

I will therefore not be able to finish this build within the timelimit, but It'll be done! Someday - somehow - eventually....really! ;)

Hans J

• Like 1