That's not a problem; when the American mulberry was closed down all the LST's, US and British, were employed on bringing the equipment into the British Mulberry at Arromanches. Once the initial beachhead had been established it was just a case of getting as much across the channel as possible and therefore there was a mix of loads per LST.

I shall arrange for my dio to depict a later period, probably D+32 when the LST Pier was in full use in July.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Good thinking! :thumbsup:

TBH converting the Shermans wouldn't be too difficult at all, filler and a scrap of plastic card will sort out the engine deck. The cupola could be filed almost flat then a line engraved to represent the split hatches, a tiny piece of sprue would provide an adequate priscope in 1/350. The loaders hatch needs filling, filing or otherwise obliterating and a stowage box can be fashioned from plastic strip.

Here are the engine decks you have (M4A3):

engine%20deck.jpg

Any of the following could be used (M4 Sherman I, M4A2 Sherman III & M4A4 Sherman V):

M4A1_early.JPGM4A2_75_3.JPGM4A4.JPG

Fireflies would require slightly more work, adding a longer gun, turret counterweight, square loaders hatch and blanking off the hull MG......Any Fireflies would have the first (M4 for Firefly Ic) or much more likely third (M4A4 for Firefly Vc) engine decks. :nerd:

• Like 1

I did show you the size of my fingers didn't I??

012_sherman_tank_at_350_scale_resized_80

My eyesight, or stability in the hands, may just prevent me from taking up those recommendations. Thanks for posting the images though, they may come in useful for something else later on.

I'll re-adjust the deck cargo to Churchill tanks and Bedford QLT trucks inside. The upper deck can be the jeeps, Quads and other lighter trucks etc.

cheers

Mike

Churchills in Normandy were usually so heavily festooned with spare track and camo scrim that it was hard to tell what mark they are, but it appears almost anything from a Mk.III onwards could be found with one unit or another, so you are on pretty safe ground with those fellows.

Here's a question for you. If you check the Bedford QLT truck, in post #24 next to the ambulance, the body looks a bit long - especially from the rear axle to the back. Any idea if that is correct?

Mike

No, the ambulance is nearer the camera on its stick, compared with the QLT. That's a very nice photo of the QLT.

Yes it does look quite a size difference though. I'd post a photo of the two side by side but you'd probably tell me the tyre valves need relocating or something like that :wicked:

Mike

EDIT..... just checked and the K2 looks the size of a bus compared to the QLT. Is that correct?

Anyway, back to the LST2 build, the next view shows the large air vents being cut to size. These air vents were required to extract the toxic fumes from the tank deck, especially when the vehicles engines were running.

052_air_vents_being_cut_resized_800_wide

Once these were cut and fitted I looked to constructing the upperworks. Here is a view of the first level of the main deck house aft with some PE doors being fitted.

053_upperwork_doors_resized_800_wide.jpg

This deckhouse has been placed in position on the upper deck and the next deck added. At this point I have dry fitted the 20mm gun tubs. The little dark grey rectangles are small hatch-vents which run almost the length of the upper deck.

055_upperdeck_and_gun_tubs_resized_800_w

That's it for now. I hope to be able to complete the rest of the upperworks soon and then I should be able to concentrate on all the fittings; such as the lifeboat gantries, capstans, bitts and fairleads, anchors and mast etc.

cheers

Mike

• Like 3

just checked and the K2 looks the size of a bus compared to the QLT. Is that correct?

Ummm.....Might be worth putting them on different decks. :confused:

According to Wiki a standard Bedford QL is 50cm longer than a K2Y and the same width.....The QLT is longer still.

A little bit of progress this weekend; the forward and aft hatches have been constructed and the bow strake built.

The upperworks are taking shape, with doors and one ladder so far added. The whole thing has been given a light coat of primer, mainly to show up the details in photographs as the all-white plastic is causing problems.

058_light_grey_primer.jpg

I shall have to scrape off much of the deck primer later as there are still dozens of tiny parts to be added (positions marked on the deck with tiny drill holes) once I have built them.

The forward hatch has been opened up and I have built a platform level which has been positioned about half-way down. This means that I will have the choice of having the hatch closed, while offloading tanks below; or partially open as in the view below showing a vehicle from the upper deck being lowered on the lift (elevator) to the tank deck.

When you look at all the obstacles on the upper deck, I haven't put them all on yet, it is a wonder they were able to load and park any vehicles at all up on there. Those little rectangular vent covers are approx 2ft long and stand approx 4" high but others, such as those adjacent the aft hatch, are a foot high. The round exhaust vents are 10ft high.
059_light_grey_primer.jpg

There's still loads to do; bow doors & ramp, davits & boats, rear 12pdr gun tub, bitts & fairleads, plus liferafts to be constructed. I'm sourcing aftermarket 12pdr and 20mm guns for the tubs as these would be too fine for me to produce. The superstructure needs bridge housing and mast etc., to be constructed and added then it will need PE railings to be attached.

Back to cutting more plastic.

Mike

• Like 4

That is a ready a nice looking Landing ship. Can't wait to see her with some paint on.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

• 4 weeks later...

Two weeks to go :frantic: but I've not been idle.

I had to wait for some bitts and cleats/fairleads that were on backorder. In the interim I sanded back the primer on the sides and also cleared areas on the deck for the bitts to be fitted.

Here is a view of the foc's'l area showing the capstan (immediately in front of the open hatch), which operates the forward hatch elevator, plus the bitts have been fitted.

61_bitts_added_resized_800_wide.jpg

With the fittings added, including the two companionways down to the lower deck (either side of the forward hatch) the hull has been repainted grey.

Work still proceeds on the bridge house structure

86_primered_grey_resized_800_wide.jpg

Alongside all this, the vehicles have been painted and are waiting to be added to the finished LST.

88_vehicles_painted_resized_800_wide.jpg

Also, work is progressing on a base to sit this all on.

Hope to show you more soon

Mike

• Like 7

:hypnotised:

just bought some more!! Morris C8 Quads and more Shermans

I like this 1:350 stuff, not just the ship. Might have a go later at building a little town/village scene; :banghead: perhaps St Mere Eglise; or Hermanville-sur-Mer

Concentrating on the superstructure now.

The ready-use lockers, some ladders and the mast have been added.

92_superstructure_aft_resized_800_wide.j

The racks which fit inside the 12pdr gun tub were a real pain to fit but they should look OK under 3 inches of grey paint!

93_superstructure_front_qtr_resized_800_

I still have to add portholes/scuttles/windows and doors to the upper deck structure and then fit the whole lot with railings.

I shall leave the rails to the very end as I have a tendancy to knock more bits off than I do adding!

94_superstructure_front_qtr_resized_800_

I did a bit more work on the hull, whilst waiting for some of the superglued items to dry properly.

This LST2 will be finished as a Royal Navy version in white and dark blue camouflage.

Here is a view of a rather pristine looking vessel. It will need considerable weathering to look correct by the end of the build.

95_hull_painted_1_resized_800_wide.jpg

There is still a lot to do, however here is a view with the superstructure placed on the deck to check fit. I actually think she is starting to finally look like a ship.

96_hull_painted_and_superstructure_added

That's enough for now. I'm going to spend some time attempting to construct all those tiny 20mm gun mounts, plus the 12pdr, over the next day or so.

cheers

Mike

• Like 5