Hooray! I've finished and with nearly an hour to spare!! :coolio:

The large liferafts have been fitted, the vehicles are aboard, and crew figures have been added

134_finished_resized_1000_wide.jpg

The 20mm and 9 pdr gun crews are closed up for action and the bow doors are open ready for disembarkation

132_finished_resized_1000_wide.jpg

Disembarkation has started and the first vehicles are being called forward to the elevator ready for lowering to the tank deck and offloading

spacer.png

To give the model a little perspective, I built a diorama base and added two smaller (Heller 1:400) LCT's for depth. The setting is D+6 the beach head is secured.

150_fitted%20on%20base_resized_1000_wide

This closer view shows DUKW's approaching the beach and a swamped Sherman!

154_fitted%20on%20base_resized_1000_wide

Another tight in view of the LST2 as it discharges the cargo from the tank deck. Aid is being arranged for the Sherman in the lower left of the frame

163_fitted%20on%20base_resized_1000_wide

And here is a view of the approach to the beach head.

167_fitted%20on%20base_resized_1000_wide

I've had real fun building this Landing Ship Tank Mk.2 (early version) and I have learned some new modelling techniques along the way. Looking back, I didn't fully believe that I would actually get from this

001_plans_and_plastics.jpg

to this, so I am well chuffed with myself

169_finished_resized_1000_wide.jpg

I think I'll have a rest now and let the eyes settle back into their sockets. :blink2: Perhaps my next build should be something about 1:10 scale!

Thanks again for the support and kind comments; the true value of a modelling forum :thumbsup:

Mike

• Like 8

By D+6 most of the obstacles had been cut away by engineers with acetylene torches. I thought the swamped Sherman gave a similar setting like the jeep you suggested :thumbsup:

Thanks again

Mike

EDIT: I've just realised that I hadn't actually mentioned anywhere in this build that the diorama setting is D + 6 ! Doh! :doh:

• Like 1

Stunning model and diorama!! I don't know you scratch build something that detailed!! Or where you find the time! - my diorama was far smaller in comparison, and with all vehicles built straight from kits, and I only managed it with a week to spare! Fantastic work! Well done!

• Like 1

Fantastic build their Booty,........the LST2 is superb but the diorama is simply outstanding,.......it must be massive? Really impressed,

Well done,

Tony

Thanks again everybody for the nice comments. It gives me the feeling that I should try another scratchbuild, perhaps a cruiser or a carrier. I'm working on the theory that, if I scratchbuild something unusual, somebody will issue a plastic kit of it when I've finished! Kit producers, are you reading this?? :clap:

The base is dictated by simplicity and costs. In this case I used a 60cm x 40cm (2ft x 1ft 4") corkboard, the type found on kitchen walls for notes and reminders etc. (I wonder if my wife has noticed ours has gone yet?). I got this board from Proper Job but other hardware stores have them as well. I just choose the size to fit the diorama. The frame is already in place and the cork acts as a good base to key-in the mixed filler for the beach and sea setting. The only real adjustment is to add a layer of card support underneath to support the base.

cheers

Mike

• Like 3

We really need a 'Multi-Like' button on this site.....That is just amazing Mike. There are do many neat little touches, I'm still taking it all in! :worthy:

Have a :wow: on me! :thumbsup:

TBH I did start to wonder where all the vehicles were going to go, but what a reveal.....Hat's off for that too! :clap2:

One small request.....Could we have some more pictures of the little vignettes you've set up within the overall scene please? :pray:

One small request.....Could we have some more pictures of the little vignettes you've set up within the overall scene please? :pray:

Thanks for the nice comments, they are very much appreciated. I've stripped it all down now, the LST2 is in the display cabinet, the base is stored down the shed and all the vehicles are in a little box, waiting for the day I eventually do the Mulberry Harbour spud pontoons diorama.

Just checking what other photo's before the GB finished....

Here's some that didn't make the cut:

137_view_of_beach_head_resized_1000_wide

138_view_of_beach_head_resized_1000_wide

172_the_beach_resized_1000_wide.jpg

173_the_beach_resized_1000_wide.jpg

174_the_beach_resized_1000_wide.jpg

I'm just preparing my next little venture; another scratchbuild and something completely different but still maritime :mental:

Here is a clue - (SHAR2 and Julien know what this is - so no input from them please! :nono: )

P1130846_resized_1000_wide.jpg

cheers

Mike

• Like 4