Revell 1/48 Tornado IDS/GR1

Doing this one as a 17f Sqn mount....

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/260/f/0/tornado_gr1_17_sqn_75th_anv_by_gazzatrek-d2ywvgz.jpg

Some photo's so far......I've used the kit decals to enhance the IP & I think it's came out OK,Fit is generally good & not much filler should be used,apart from round the mahoooosive gaps by the intakes!!!
Also some shots of the Revell BOZ pod,showing the bad rear face & some size comparason shots next to Dave' excellent works,the drops are again the kit tnks shown next to Daves Big Jugs...

WP_20140601_007_zps8db9fdf2.jpg

WP_20140601_009_zps723a454f.jpg

WP_20140601_008_zps929a8721.jpg

WP_20140601_006_zps484a0a2a.jpg

WP_20140601_003_zps546932f0.jpg

WP_20140601_004_zpsadccaf90.jpg

WP_20140601_010_zpsa4b450e6.jpg

WP_20140601_011_zpsc978e107.jpg

WP_20140601_012_zps0dcc3b42.jpg

WP_20140601_013_zpsb54ac4c2.jpg

WP_20140601_015_zpsc9f4fac2.jpg

WP_20140601_014_zps59adedf4.jpg

WP_20140601_017_zpsddc1f70a.jpg

• Like 1

It looks good so far. How are you going to do the LMRTS window?

Sean

Rob one off an old kit...AND be careful with the flap springs,I've just snapped 2 off jut by picking up the bloody sprue!!! :weep::analintruder:

• Like 1

Ah good man, I wondered when the first WIP would be along, just need to finish my harriers for the GB then I'll crack on with mine!

That's some gap by the intake!

On both sides mate!..Can't move it or the undercart doors won't line up! Also I wouldn't bother drilling out the holes for the IFR probe,if you look at them,where they are,they are quite prominent inside the pit.I'd also block off the back of the APU exhaust as well.the full intake trunking & faces are a waste of time as you can see bugger all down them!

ps,my Harriers on hold till I get the cockpit set...

nice! thanks for showing!

one question on the tanks:

are they supposed to be the big 2250l tanks? they look short but the same diameter....

strange!

nice! thanks for showing!

one question on the tanks:

are they supposed to be the big 2250l tanks? they look short but the same diameter....

strange!

Just noticed that as well! :banghead:

No I gather they're the smaller versions & not the Big Jug 2250's.

Excellent work so far, thanks for sharing!

The Sky Shadow pod is a bit 'off'... It is too skinny and that will be very difficult to change. But I think the look could be improved by sanding back the tips a bit to make it more blunt. The BOZ pod isn't too bad, except for the back end...

Is it me or do the Revell tanks look better than the resin ones?? Maybe its the illusion of the pictures and the fact the fins are not glued yet...

I started mine over the weekend and so far I'm very pleased. Although its a complex build, I'm surprised at how quick it can come together.

Looking forward to more progress!!

Regards,

Guillaume

• Like 1

Good god this looks like a tough Cookie!!

It's complicated,maybe a tad too over complicated,especially for modelers without much experience.The spring actuators on the flaps are going to be a nightmare!

Like others have said,some of mine have been broken off in transit & even picking up a sprue can break them off.I'd have liked them to have not attatched to the main sprue but to a sort of guard sprue,like Italeria did to protect the lightning dispersers on their F-16 kits.

Lots of dry fitting is needed before you finally glue down,I think on my next one I'll dry fit then run modelers super glue along the seams.for me,the nightmare bit's going to be the main canopy,with all the add-ons....Next thing to do today is tackle the wings,fin & seats....

Spike

I've just assembled my fuselage and the area around the intakes that you have problems with is fine on mine

Scott C

I must have a short mold then..as everything else lines up perfectly.....bugger!

Spike, I can't remember if it was earlier in this thread or in the "1st look" thread, but I'd suggested a good replacement for the flap actuators would be short lengths of fine guitar string (assuming you know a friendly strummer!).

Have you built up the flap sections yet mate? I wasn't convinced these looked right on the test build pics that were doing the rounds, and would be interested to hear your opinion as someone with first hand experience.

I won't start mine until I've shifted at least half a dozen of the "in progress" builds that are scattered across my bench just now.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

Is it me or do the Revell tanks look better than the resin ones?? Maybe its the illusion of the pictures and the fact the fins are not glued yet...

Regards,

Guillaume

I've not received my Tornado yet, but I do have Flightpath's resin (Big Jug/Hindenburgers/2250 Litre ) tanks and they are accurate. The kits tanks seem to be very wrong......They appear to me anyway to be the shape of the big 2250 Litre tanks - but the size of the smaller standard tanks.

Now as only we Brit's used the former - and they should only appear in a GR1/4 (or F3!!) kit, one can assume that main issue is the shape! They are far too tubular in cross section, take a look at any photo and you'll see what I mean. The real shape is more tapered fore and aft.

Luckily (for me anyway!) I've been collect bits of Tornado kits for decades! The tanks in Airfix's much maligned kit are reasonably accurate in shape and size. I would say that Italeri's standard tanks are a much better shape too.....

I may cheat though and build mine as an early TTTE GR1T with flaps and slats deployed but minus ANY stores. That includes shoulder pylons and LRMTS ...problem of wrong stores therefore not a problem!!

I'll wait for the actual RAF issue for my red finned 14 Sqn GR1!

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 2

A cheap alternative for the 2250ltr tanks (if you have some in the spares box) are F-15 tanks, they are more or less the same size and shape - just need the fins.

Biggest issue with this kit for me is the forward fuselage, the ring just aft of the radome is the F.3 ring which is longer than that of the GR.1 which then sets the radome too far forward. A similar error was made with the 1/32 offering.

• Like 1

I've not received my Tornado yet, but I do have Flightpath's resin (Big Jug/Hindenburgers/2250 Litre ) tanks and they are accurate. The kits tanks seem to be very wrong......They appear to me anyway to be the shape of the big 2250 Litre tanks - but the size of the smaller standard tanks.

Now as only we Brit's used the former - and they should only appear in a GR1/4 (or F3!!) kit, one can assume that main issue is the shape! They are far too tubular in cross section, take a look at any photo and you'll see what I mean. The real shape is more tapered fore and aft.

Luckily (for me anyway!) I've been collect bits of Tornado kits for decades! The tanks in Airfix's much maligned kit are reasonably accurate in shape and size. I would say that Italeri's standard tanks are a much better shape too.....

I may cheat though and build mine as an early TTTE GR1T with flaps and slats deployed but minus ANY stores. That includes shoulder pylons and LRMTS ...problem of wrong stores therefore not a problem!!

I'll wait for the actual RAF issue for my red finned 14 Sqn GR1!

Can I assume the picture with the 2 tanks on Spike's initial post has the tanks pointing in opposite directions? If so, that might explain why I didn't fully appreciate the shape of those resin tanks... Probably its the distance to the second tank that makes both look like having the same diameter? The resin one should be bigger no? On the other hand, I do agree the Revell tanks are too tubular.

I've also been collecting some parts from Airfix and Italeri, and I would like to ad there are 2 different tanks in the Italeri boxes: The ones in the GR/IDS boxes are a joke... but the ones in the F3 box look much, much better. I think the idea was to represent the 2250l, but this can't be correct, as they are still much smaller than the Airfix ones. On top, Italeri provides you with the 'upper fins' (more forward) that were present on early RAF 1700l tanks!!! I found them very nice imho...

The resin tanks might be detailed, but I'm just too afraid of hanging that kind of weight under wings and the effect this could have over time...

Fingers crossed they will include accurate 2250's in the GR1 box!

The first one I'm gonna make is one like in this documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHjU0sdHRV8

I'm probably gonna make ZA590 'E' as it was with 9 SQN, without laser under the nose and with the early 1700l tanks with the 4 fins. They also seemed to carry 2 Sky Shadows!

Regards,

Guillaume

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Come on Spike...Update ;)

Sorry,been a busy month,my 47th at the start,running around trying to sort out the Mod & my pension,Hospital check ups (Leukemia's still in remission :D ) rehoming a couple dogs & cats for a couple animal rescues I'm involved with on FB & my last uncle passed away last week,so my mojo's sort of stalled as I'm exhausted! :o

Doing a quick build of a Academy 1/72 SR-71 to try & get it back!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's done!

Cue one 1/48 Revell Tornado IDS kit going in the bin!!!!

Fuselage fit was bloody awful to the point that it wasn't worth any more effort!...I dry fitted it all before assembly to no avail & I'm not gonna waste anymore time on it!!

Worse kit I've made in a long time!

Bad luck Spike. I was rather looking forward to seeing that finished as that is THE Tornado scheme to end all Tornado schemes (IMO). What decals were you going to use? The Almark ones?

I'm wondering if I might be best sticking with my little pile of Italeri kits after all. Especially as I'm not overly concerned by having everything hanging out.